Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 PM

46 posts, read 91,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esunsalmista View Post
Look, no offense but for the sake of keeping your topic as useful to you as possible, I think you should think a little more before you post comments like this. I know you're just being honest about where your perceptions of SoCal come from, but people will call you out on this (rightfully so).

That being said, I do somewhat understand the sentiment you're describing (even if you don't really fully know what you're talking about). I grew up in San Diego and went to University in Berkeley. San Diego, I think, is light-years behind Berkeley in just how politically aware the general population is. That might be a bit unfair to say because a lot of it is fueled by the student culture over at Berkeley. By the way, some of the perceptions you have of SoCal could very well explain cities in NorCal as well. I'm sure you've been to San Francisco, although I'll concede the people I've met there do seem a little more politically aware than the people I know in San Diego.
I was calling myself out by admitting my opinion is skewed, not well developed, and perhaps can't be trusted, so no offense taken. That's why I'm here, mostly - to find out if I'm way off base.

I appreciate your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,690,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoCalifornia View Post
Which town do you live in? Just kidding.
rotflmao!

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,690,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoCalifornia View Post
I actually grew up on a property like this in rural Canada. We are up for it, but, yes, it's a lot of work! (no goats.)
But I like goats -- especially goat's milk. Oh well, guess I can't move next door to you! LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Old 08-02-2014, 08:49 PM

914 posts, read 2,916,665 times
To the OP - why California? Why not stay on the East Coast? What you are looking for can be found in many places such as Vermont, where my daughter lived for a couple of years. You didn't mention weather, so I assume that isn't a reason you are moving out west - or is it?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 PM

32 posts, read 61,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
To the OP - why California? Why not stay on the East Coast? What you are looking for can be found in many places such as Vermont, where my daughter lived for a couple of years. You didn't mention weather, so I assume that isn't a reason you are moving out west - or is it?
Not the OP, but: It's in the first paragraph. They want to be close (reasonable driving distance) to friends and family.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:11 PM

914 posts, read 2,916,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esunsalmista View Post
Not the OP, but: It's in the first paragraph. They want to be close (reasonable driving distance) to friends and family.
Don't know if I really believe that. It's obviously not a priority, or they wouldn't care so much about the other stuff. Family comes first, right, with friends following a close second?

Look, this is silly. Every town in California, whether leaning left or right, have things like farmer's markets, ADA compliance, etc. And if you're going to send your kids to public schools in California, then don't worry they will be sure to get the max dose of "progressiveness" replete with gay history starting in grade school level and transgendered bathrooms. IMO, wanting to completely surround yourself with people who are in lock-step with your political views and wanting to "avoid" people who think a certain way or have different political outlook, is a little creepy, frankly.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Don't know if I really believe that. It's obviously not a priority, or they wouldn't care so much about the other stuff. Family comes first, right, with friends following a close second?

Look, this is silly. Every town in California, whether leaning left or right, have things like farmer's markets, ADA compliance, etc. And if you're going to send your kids to public schools in California, then don't worry they will be sure to get the max dose of "progressiveness" replete with gay history starting in grade school level and transgendered bathrooms. IMO, wanting to completely surround yourself with people who are in lock-step with your political views and wanting to "avoid" people who think a certain way or have different political outlook, is a little creepy, frankly.
I don't except to completely surround myself with others who think like me. It's not so much about how others think but rather about what kind of communities exist as a result of people's priorities (well-funded schools, affordable healthcare, wheelchair accessible, clean, thoughtfully-budgeted, environmentally friendly). I want to live in a community that values people. I realize things are different in America than other developed nations (this isn't the most progressive of the countries out there) but I'm investigating, seeing if perhaps there are little pockets. Again, it's not that I don't want to know Republicans. I'n just an idealist, that's pretty much it. I wasn't raised in this country so I don't know... If there are pockets out there that for my description maybe locals can tell me.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 PM

p.s. I'm glad to know gay history starts in kindergarten. Now we are talking. Really, I don't know California that well.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 PM

p.p.s. And, yes, we are looking for nicer weather so that is absolutely also a factor. I'd like to avoid cool costal towns (if we end up in Northern California).

Old 08-02-2014, 09:41 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,680,835 times
I'm curious, OP, but have you ever considered living in a progressive town like Laguna Beach, while maintaining a second vacation home north of here?

Coming from NYC, I suspect that chickens and isolation can get to be old really fast, and you'll find yourself craving more stimulation.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California