Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:36 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Sea levels are rising?
Um, you've been where for the past couple decades?
How much is sea level rising?
Quote:
Current sea level rise is after all not exaggerated, in fact the opposite case is more plausible. Observational data and changing conditions in such places as Greenland suggest if there's a real problem here it's underestimation of future sea level rise. IPCC synthesis reports offer conservative projections of sea level increase based on assumptions about future behavior of ice sheets and glaciers, leading to estimates of sea level roughly following a linear upward trend mimicking that of recent decades. In point of fact, observed sea level rise is already above IPCC projections and strongly hints at acceleration while at the same time it appears the mass balance of continental ice envisioned by the IPCC is overly optimistic (Rahmstorf 2010 ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 AM

9 posts, read 10,926 times
What I don't understand is why there is never-ending construction of large, new cookie cutter homes everywhere here? If the drought were so severe, why so much new construction? Everywhere I look there are new gated communities being built, new shopping centers, new schools, federal construction projects, new tourist attractions. What are the city planners thinking?

No, I'm not moving out of California.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:52 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
The effects of too many people... too little resources... geoengineering... building homes for potential occupants.. pumping out social welfare..failure to provide sufficient storage ... pollution of the environment... waste of natural resources...

From what I can discern where I live geoengineering is the largest threat .... making it hotter... drier... and more prone to lightning....

Lake Shasta is scheduled for a enlargement effort which will take years... and where will the water come from ... dry winter ahead

The difference about this drought is that man is creating it by messing with nature

Time to pull the plug... but who will buy?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I don't know if you saw my previous post on this thread about "willful denial"? Construction isn't regulated at the state level. Maybe it should be, just in case of situations like this extraordinary drought!

Of course, then we'd see housing price go through the roof (at least temporarily) as demand outstrips supply. There's no way to have it all, unfortunately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAdventure View Post
What I don't understand is why there is never-ending construction of large, new cookie cutter homes everywhere here? If the drought were so severe, why so much new construction? Everywhere I look there are new gated communities being built, new shopping centers, new schools, federal construction projects, new tourist attractions. What are the city planners thinking?

No, I'm not moving out of California.

Last edited by SandyCo; 10-05-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 12:00 PM

20 posts, read 28,893 times
Default drought in humboldt county, ca.?

i have been wanting/planning to move to the arcata/eureka area from nyc for the longest, but just when i'm nearly in position to go, here comes the drought and the forest fires (not that i'm taking it personally).
i'm considering oregon or washington state, but i REALLY wanted to live in or next to a redwood forest, in a politically left place.
how bad is drought/fire up there in humboldt? i hear there's still water, but what are the chances that other parts of the state will find a way to snatch it up? how safe do you guys feel about this stuff?
or do i have to move to the spanish moss lands or alaska if i want something to drink and trees that are still alive and not on fire?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I don't know if you saw my previous post on this thread about "willful denial"? Construction isn't regulated at the state level. Maybe it should be, just in case of situations like this extraordinary drought!

Of course, then we'd see housing price go through the roof (at least temporarily) as demand outstrips supply. There's no way to have it all, unfortunately!
that is it. Builders have to build to make a living, ditto construction workers and material suppliers, etc. Then the State and municipal govt's want the revenue. If houses were not built where would new arrivals and people growing up and needing a place to live go, etc. If the drought or similar stops growth then there will be a fire sale on houses and State revenue will drop.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:52 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Meanwhile, I'd like to see a huge push towards building 100's of desalination plants, right now!!!

This should be priority #1, especially for farming water (by far our highest user).
I agree. Unfortunately, there are other priorities ahead of it such as the new Bill that allows beer bikes on city streets. But hey. We know our priorities here in the golden state.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Why don't people use water from the ocean in their pools? The oceans' water levels are rising, so removing water from the oceans would help, even if it is just a drop in (or from rather) the ocean. Pools are sealed off, so no risk of salt water getting into the ground. Plus, it is harder to drown in a pool
All it would take is to modify pumps and filters maybe...

Old 12-18-2015, 09:54 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanyq1 View Post
i have been wanting/planning to move to the arcata/eureka area from nyc for the longest, but just when i'm nearly in position to go, here comes the drought and the forest fires (not that i'm taking it personally).
i'm considering oregon or washington state, but i REALLY wanted to live in or next to a redwood forest, in a politically left place.
how bad is drought/fire up there in humboldt? i hear there's still water, but what are the chances that other parts of the state will find a way to snatch it up? how safe do you guys feel about this stuff?
or do i have to move to the spanish moss lands or alaska if i want something to drink and trees that are still alive and not on fire?

I know what you mean about wanting water AND green trees! My son and I were thinking of San Diego, CA until I learned from CD and other sources about the insane COL in CA... plus the 4 year drought, all the fires. I live in north central Ohio in a small city on the south shore of Lake Erie. Love all the trees, but despise the summer humidity and winters, though Lorain doesn't get close to the amount of snow as Cleveland or the snowbelt gets.

It seems like soon the western US will be devoid of trees because of all the fires, even the Rockies must be ugly since I last saw them and Yellowstone NP by car back in the 80's.Only travelled by plane since then to visit family in Spokane, WA and ID.

Pretty much have decided if we do move at all... it will most likely be Texas or Boise, ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California