Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I live part of the year in Hawaii ... Waikiki is the same, dredged sand ...
Nice, so you get the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I really liked your post, Trade Wind. I myself live in SW Florida (Sarasota) and I know exactly what you mean about the feeling here (in FL). The powdery white sand, the tropical palms and flowers, the warm smell of the salty sea breeze - it's like a calming drug to me.

I also agree with you that California and Florida are the two best states - never lived in CA but visited many times, so beautiful. Both states with many things to offer, the two states everyone wants to live in. CA is the only other state I would consider living in. If I were wealthy, I'd have a little spot on the beautiful CA central coast to stay part of the time.
Only problem with Florida is good high paying jobs, there isn't many on average compared to what's available in CA, from my point of view in Tech related work, Florida struggles in that department and if it only had more opportunity, oh well.

Sarasota is even worse for someone like me than the my side of the state.

People with no money want to move here because they think it's like something they saw on TV or read about. California is no different, both states are full of transients and dreamers, but I think Florida takes the cake on that one.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Odds are you will drown due to rip tides over being attacked by a alligator at the beach. They don't frequent saltwater naturally like the Crocodile and I never heard of an attack at the beach or even seen one in the ocean, but their are videos of them in the ocean.

Alligators are only a risk if you go swimming in lakes, canals or water retention ponds.
Exactly.

I grew up in Miami and never once did I see an alligator at the beach.

That said, the best beaches are on Florida's west coast. I always feel sorry for visitors who only visit a place like Cocoa Beach in the middle of the east coast, which is ugly in comparison to most Florida beaches.

There are beautiful beaches on the east coast of Florida. However ... the west coast of Florida has the super-fine sugar white sand (99% quartz) and ultra clear water. The best of the best is in the Florida Panhandle. Think Destin-South Walton or any place along Highway 30-A.

There are upscale resort communities like Seaside, Watercolors, Rosemary Beach etc ...

The guy known as "Dr. Beach" who rates beaches all over the U.S. always rated Florida Panhandle beaches highly. One year, he rated Grayton Beach as Number 1 in the U.S.

Click on some of the beach towns in the link below to see some beautiful photos.

www.graytonbeach.com | Helping to keep Grayton Beach funky since 1997!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Exactly.

I grew up in Miami and never once did I see an alligator at the beach.

That said, the best beaches are on Florida's west coast. I always feel sorry for visitors who only visit a place like Cocoa Beach in the middle of the east coast, which is ugly in comparison to most Florida beaches.

There are beautiful beaches on the east coast of Florida. However ... the west coast of Florida has the super-fine sugar white sand (99% quartz) and ultra clear water. The best of the best is in the Florida Panhandle. Think Destin-South Walton or any place along Highway 30-A.

There are upscale resort communities like Seaside, Watercolors, Rosemary Beach etc ...

The guy known as "Dr. Beach" who rates beaches all over the U.S. always rated Florida Panhandle beaches highly. One year, he rated Grayton Beach as Number 1 in the U.S.

Click on some of the beach towns in the link below to see some beautiful photos.

www.graytonbeach.com | Helping to keep Grayton Beach funky since 1997!
Yeah west coast has nice beaches, but the red tide or algae blooms can change that in a heartbeat. I was in Naples last summer and they had real bad algae bloom and fish kill, the water smelled and looked terrible.

The Gulf side is very different, then the Atlantic side, the water, waves and sand, but I think the beaches from the Keys up to Broward, Palm Beach and Martin Counties are very nice as well. Nice sea breeze to keep you cooler and the water quality is typically excellent and cooler in the middle of summer.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 AM

Apparently, the resorts in the Florida Panhandle along Highway 30A, quote the New York Times to promote their beaches.

The New York Times said the beaches along Highway 30A “may be the best beach in the continental U.S.”

Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 AM

Dr. Beach comes out every year with his list of top beaches. They change every year.

This year, Coronado Beach in San Diego is Number 1.

Dr. Beach: America's Foremost Beach Expert.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM

419 posts, read 998,148 times
California for surfing and scenary

florida for boating, snorkling, swimming, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Soon California beaches and waters will be inundated with Japan tsunami debris not to mention the high levels of radiation that is already being detected in seaweed off San Diego.

Florida has the looming submerged oil plumes that has yet to hit the shores .. but it eventually will.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Soon California beaches and waters will be inundated with Japan tsunami debris not to mention the high levels of radiation that is already being detected in seaweed off San Diego.

Florida has the looming submerged oil plumes that has yet to hit the shores .. but it eventually will.
Hi Don! Cheerful, as always, I see ... but seems like this is going to put a crimp in your boating, which I hate to hear about .... oh wait, you're on your way to Tennessee ...

Curious: I know there are gators in Tennessee, but I don't know if there are many ... and some water snakes I wouldn't care to meet. I assume you've looked into this and I wonder what you've found. I'm always curious about waterway information.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hi Don! Cheerful, as always, I see ... but seems like this is going to put a crimp in your boating, which I hate to hear about .... oh wait, you're on your way to Tennessee ...

Curious: I know there are gators in Tennessee, but I don't know if there are many ... and some water snakes I wouldn't care to meet. I assume you've looked into this and I wonder what you've found. I'm always curious about waterway information.
Gator's would not bother me but they don't have them where I'm going. Other critters like poisonous snakes spiders don't bother me either. Besides, I will be armed most of the time.

Boating will be spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California