Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 14,732 times

Advertisements

I paid off my car loan last year, but the DMV still shows on my paper registration that the bank still holds title. The bank sent me the Certificate of Title and I have it in my file drawer. I searched all over the DMV website, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to do next. In order for me to officially hold title to my vehicle, according to the state of CA, do I need to fill out a form or pay a fee or something? The DMV website needs some serious user-friendly assistance. Either that or I am dumb-dumb-dumb!

Last edited by suzdez; 08-05-2014 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: wrong forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM

63 posts, read 124,311 times
I am only going to speak about the state I live in. The FI releases their lien by "signing off" on the lien and sending it to the county. The county removes the lien on their system and mails you a "clean" title for you to have. Could you possibly have to take it to your county to remove the bank's lien? Or I would call the same department where you register your car. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Go to dmv, or AAA if you're a member. You do have to pay a fee for "change of ownership" I believe it's called, to have them remove the banks name but it's already marked as paidd and you do hold title. It's just paperwork at this point. I don't even bother anymore.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:24 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
MD has a lien release that looks like the title. If you sell your car both the title with the lienholder listed and the lien release need to be together.

That's also the issue if you total a car, the release has to go to the insurance company along with the title.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
God I love how folks out of state chime in about how the DMV in CA works.

Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Call them up. That way you don't have to stand in line.

Contact Us

Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzdez View Post
I paid off my car loan last year, but the DMV still shows on my paper registration that the bank still holds title. The bank sent me the Certificate of Title and I have it in my file drawer. I searched all over the DMV website, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to do next. In order for me to officially hold title to my vehicle, according to the state of CA, do I need to fill out a form or pay a fee or something? The DMV website needs some serious user-friendly assistance. Either that or I am dumb-dumb-dumb!
You either mail in or turn in the title to DMV with a $19 fee. They will mail you a new title showing that you no longer have a lienholder. If you're not comfortable mailing the title, most DMV offices have a "drop box" inside with envelopes where you can drop the title and the check and you won't have to stand in any line.

(Speaking to everyone) It's important for people to do this as soon as possible. If the bank goes out of business or is bought out by another bank your loan records could be lost and you'll have issues getting the new bank to release your lien.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
God I love how folks out of state chime in about how the DMV in CA works.

Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
It's rather wet and salty.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,497 times
My personal experience was that the CA DMV just sent me a clean title, no work was necessary on my part besides mailing in the stub.

P.S.- It might take them a little while.. they were sloooowww...

Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times
Information for the OP (Original Poster) : there's this tool on the internet for finding stuff, including answers to questions, even TOUGH questions. It is familiarly called "google" and can be found at : https://www.google.com/

I typed in the following query :

dmv remove lien vehicle site:dmv.ca.gov

and the second offered page/answer seems to answer your question :
HTVR 18 Change Legal Owner Only

I heartily suggest that you learn how to use "google", as it can provide answers to your questions almost immediately, without having to wait hours for simple humans to come to your aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California