Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The hatred is strong with that one...even thousands of miles away.

I hear Mt. Shasta (and area) is worth a visit. Anyone been there?
Yes, very pretty. I think it's most stunning when it has snow on it. Unfortunately, it's almost bald already this year. Spring would be fantastic.

I went kayaking on Whiskeytown Lake this morning. The air is smoky and the sky is hazy from all the fires. Was still beautiful and peaceful, though. And not too hot if you get out early.

They do free kayak tours June, July and August twice a day 7 days a week. Lots of fun. I saw several osprey up close, ducks, a deer, geese and a beautiful huge blue heron. Bliss. And only 8 miles from Redding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, very pretty. I think it's most stunning when it has snow on it. Unfortunately, it's almost bald already this year. Spring would be fantastic.

I went kayaking on Whiskeytown Lake this morning. The air is smoky and the sky is hazy from all the fires. Was still beautiful and peaceful, though. And not too hot if you get out early.

They do free kayak tours June, July and August twice a day 7 days a week. Lots of fun. I saw several osprey up close, ducks, a deer, geese and a beautiful huge blue heron. Bliss. And only 8 miles from Redding.
You really are shameless. Enjoying life, especially free things in life, while California teeters on the brink of collapse. Don't you have a drove to flee in to somewhere?

Old 08-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You really are shameless. Enjoying life, especially free things in life, while California teeters on the brink of collapse. Don't you have a drove to flee in to somewhere?
LOL! And I'm doing it on a lake that is federally mandated to be kept at full capacity .

The first time I went, the ranger said it's kept at full capacity because it's a recreation area, so we have to be able to have fun, basically.

Today, the ranger said they keep it full because they need to keep the temperature cold enough so the salmon eggs don't pop and die.

At any rate, the drought does not exist at Whiskeytown Lake. And I have absolutely no shame about enjoying it.

For free.

Oh, wait, that would be on your tax dollars, right? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Bingo! Taken at the Turtle Bay East Open Area across the Sacramento River from Turtle Bay. It's an off-leash area for dogs. Great spot right in town.

Supposedly she is rat terrier. But, since I rescued her, don't know for sure. I usually hear people say they think she looks like a jack russell, but I don't see that, except that she has a pretty big rib cage.

Great dog, though. Vet guesses she's about 6 years old, and was obviously loved by someone. She loves everyone. Very happy, very smart, very loving. Came completely house-trained, too. Best dog I've ever had. They found her wandering the streets of Red Bluff with a collar on, but no ID, no microchip and nobody came to claim her for about 2 weeks. I don't understand how that happens, especially to a dog that was obviously well-loved.

She saw someone fishing on the shore of the river one time, and it was obvious she knew exactly what fishing was all about. So, whoever had her also took her fishing. And she loved it. Guess I better get my license and a pole.
Don't let her eat on raw fish or carcasses laying along the bank, etc. She could die. Especially salmon, steelhead, trout.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...n+kill+dogs%3F

Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Bingo! Taken at the Turtle Bay East Open Area across the Sacramento River from Turtle Bay. It's an off-leash area for dogs. Great spot right in town.

Supposedly she is rat terrier. But, since I rescued her, don't know for sure. I usually hear people say they think she looks like a jack russell, but I don't see that, except that she has a pretty big rib cage.

Great dog, though. Vet guesses she's about 6 years old, and was obviously loved by someone. She loves everyone. Very happy, very smart, very loving. Came completely house-trained, too. Best dog I've ever had. They found her wandering the streets of Red Bluff with a collar on, but no ID, no microchip and nobody came to claim her for about 2 weeks. I don't understand how that happens, especially to a dog that was obviously well-loved.

She saw someone fishing on the shore of the river one time, and it was obvious she knew exactly what fishing was all about. So, whoever had her also took her fishing. And she loved it. Guess I better get my license and a pole.

I used to catch some nice Channel Catfish & Striped Bass on the Sac River, over near Rio Vista & on the Delta. They love Pileworms & Bloodworms, & little baitfish I would catch on the Delta/Mendota canal......& CA Aqueduct has some bigg'un fish too.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Pic 3 looks like US395. The others not sure. One looks like a area I go hunting at in the Paso Robles area

Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Don't let her eat on raw fish or carcasses laying along the bank, etc. She could die. Especially salmon, steelhead, trout.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...n+kill+dogs%3F
Quote:
[/b]

I used to catch some nice Channel Catfish & Striped Bass on the Sac River, over near Rio Vista & on the Delta. They love Pileworms & Bloodworms, & little baitfish I would catch on the Delta/Mendota canal......& CA Aqueduct has some bigg'un fish too.
Good reminder. I had a friend with a wolf in WA that died from salmon poisoning. He used to give the fish heads to the wolf, and one time it killed it. Very sad.

This is a good article about it chosen from your list above:

Salmon, steelhead present hazard to dogs - Spokesman.com - Nov. 8, 2009

I didn't realize it's specific to salmon/trout/steelhead west of the Cascades in CA, OR and WA. Also didn't know the cause of it. Interesting.

This article is about a woman who saw her lab puppy was gnawing on a fish head on the banks of a river, and she even took it away and threw it into the river. And the puppy didn't exhibit the normal symptoms, so it stumped the vet until the puppy was really sick. It recovered, and apparently if you catch it in time, can be dealt with with antibiotics, as it's a bacteria that causes it.

Anyway all very interesting and also made me very glad I have pet insurance on Jackie. I have her insured for 90% and a $100 annual deductible. If she would have been that puppy, she would have been covered for 90%. Of course, I don't want her to get sick, though.

But, a good reminder to tell the vet that she's been by the riverbanks and could have gotten hold of a rotten fish.

I used to go fishing many moons ago when I lived in WA. Your fishing stories made me want to get into it up here in the Redding area. If you get out nice and early, the weather is nice.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM

I still have my ol' 1978 American Clipper class 'c' motorhome (it was built over in Morgan Hill). We & our friends have had many funtimes camping & fishing along the Delta/Mendota canal, catching catfish & striped bass, mostly.... You can drive along most of the canal from Tracy to Firebaugh.

Sometimes we sat out at night in the hot summer having a few beers, watching the heat lightning in the distant sky(looked like it was coming from over by Modesto).

We had most of our luck fishing at night. I rigged my line with a 2oz sinker at the bottom. About 24" up I put on a 1/0 hook with 12" leader, then about another 24" up, I put on another hook & leader. I used a worm threader to put on 1/2 of a Pileworm threaded on each my hooks. Then I cast out into the canal, bungie corded my pole to an irrigation valve handle by the canal edge. Then I clipped on a small fishing bell to the tip of my rod. (have some good flashlights or spotlight)

Then after a while we usually might go to sleep. When we hear the bell going "ding, ding, ding"...I jump up go outside & reel in a nice catfish. (use a long handled net to pull her in)
If you used heavy line you might not need the net. Some of the catfish were 15-20lb, most smaller (12"-16" size are best tasting). We caught a lot during the day too. Some of the fish in the CA Aqueduct were much bigger, going into the San Luis Res O'Neill Forebay, or the main Reservoir.

Best of luck to you fishin'...

Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I still have my ol' 1978 American Clipper class 'c' motorhome (it was built over in Morgan Hill). We & our friends have had many funtimes camping & fishing along the Delta/Mendota canal, catching catfish & striped bass, mostly.... You can drive along most of the canal from Tracy to Firebaugh.

Sometimes we sat out at night in the hot summer having a few beers, watching the heat lightning in the distant sky(looked like it was coming from over by Modesto).

We had most of our luck fishing at night. I rigged my line with a 2oz sinker at the bottom. About 24" up I put on a 1/0 hook with 12" leader, then about another 24" up, I put on another hook & leader. I used a worm threader to put on 1/2 of a Pileworm threaded on each my hooks. Then I cast out into the canal, bungie corded my pole to an irrigation valve handle by the canal edge. Then I clipped on a small fishing bell to the tip of my rod. (have some good flashlights or spotlight)

Then after a while we usually might go to sleep. When we hear the bell going "ding, ding, ding"...I jump up go outside & reel in a nice catfish. (use a long handled net to pull her in)
If you used heavy line you might not need the net. Some of the catfish were 15-20lb, most smaller (12"-16" size are best tasting). We caught a lot during the day too. Some of the fish in the CA Aqueduct were much bigger, going into the San Luis Res O'Neill Forebay, or the main Reservoir.

Best of luck to you fishin'...
That sounds like so much fun! And you're makin' me hungry

Old 08-09-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
That sounds like so much fun! And you're makin' me hungry
...We fillet the fish & deep fry them in McCormick beer batter fish fry mix, make some fried squared potatoes & purple onions, make some coleslaw, & soft fresh bread.....yum yum...

Beer Batter Seafood Batter Mix | McCormick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California