Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM

409 posts, read 484,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:

It's exactly about proving something to someone because that's the only argument people have used as to why they hate Cali. It's always "NATIVES DONT SAY IT!!!!11!!! BLARG!!" The implication of course being that if you say it, you're not a native and that somehow makes you less in their eyes, or at least that's how some people are acting in the thread.
No, not at all. Most native Californians just think people who use Cali sound like they are trying too hard to be one of the cool kids. It isn't that being from someplace else makes them less than. Native Californians have nothing to prove, just saying that, in general, if you use "Cali" it tells the natives that you are not from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Ugh, It's true. As a confirmed non-Californian who lives in one of those fly-over places I can validate this. When I hear someone reference "Cali" it's usually a tell tale sign that they have never actually been there, and are definitely trying too hard. Pretentiousness annoys me anyway, and it's all I can do to not tell them that they wouldn't know a true Californian if they came and sat on their face. The next thing the name dropper usually does, is try to pass the Jacket they bought from Target as being from Nordstrom or something.

This has long been a peeve of mine so I couldn't resist throwing my two cents in.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 7,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
No, not at all. Most native Californians just think people who use Cali sound like they are trying too hard to be one of the cool kids. It isn't that being from someplace else makes them less than. Native Californians have nothing to prove, just saying that, in general, if you use "Cali" it tells the natives that you are not from California.
So if native Californians have nothing to prove, why are most of the ones here the ones saying, "I'm a native and I would NEVER say it." You're trying to prove something by labeling yourself in your argument.

Quote:
Besides the circle of bros this one apparently surrounded himself with (Cali=brospeak), everybody else must have got sick of hearing "Cali".

Maybe it will be a cool thing that goes over better in Flyover Country, and bros and chicks will dig it. Best of luck with that.
Nice generalization there "brah." Let me get this straight, because I've defended people who say Cali and have made arguments as to why no one should care who says what, that makes me a "bro" and clearly uneducated in your eyes? Sure, whatever dude. Oh, wait, is that too bro for you? Let me unslang it for you: You're a twit.

Quote:
Um, you got run out?
Clever. What is this the Old West where we still run people out of towns? If you're going to be snarky, at least be in the right century when you do it.

Quote:
No. You do care. That's the only reason you posted on this thread.
And nope. I care about the fact that there are people who seem to be treating Cali as if it's an affront to their heritage and have such a visceral reaction to it and clearly hold the attitude of "if you say Cali, I think less of you."

Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 7,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Ugh, It's true. As a confirmed non-Californian who lives in one of those fly-over places I can validate this. When I hear someone reference "Cali" it's usually a tell tale sign that they have never actually been there, and are definitely trying too hard. Pretentiousness annoys me anyway, and it's all I can do to not tell them that they wouldn't know a true Californian if they came and sat on their face. The next thing the name dropper usually does, is try to pass the Jacket they bought from Target as being from Nordstrom or something.

This has long been a peeve of mine so I couldn't resist throwing my two cents in.
Ahahahahahahaha *deep breath* ahahahahahahahahahahaha

So you're going to say pretentiousness annoys you, and then say you have to try your hardest not to be pretentious right back at them?

Hello pot, my name is kettle, I believe we've met.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Calling California 'Cali' is ignorant. It's like calling The City "Frisco". Only tourists use it.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 PM

521 posts, read 733,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
The first time I heard "Cali" was when Dre and Tupac used it in the song "California Love" in the mid-90's. It is a slang term rather than a gague of one's "native" status. Of course other people picked it up and started using it after pop artists (or rappers) put it out in the mainstream. This is how pop culture works.

If you are born and raised in CA you are sounding both dated and desparate for "native" status by complaining about this. This entire state is a hodge podge of people from everywhere. They bring their own culture, slang, food etc with them when they come here. Our diversity IS our single most identifiable trait. So, you.are not being a good Californian if you start acting provincial with correct words to use here, etc. Beyond that, slang and english language in general is constantly evolving. You can whine about peoole using words like "Cali" or "twerking" lol, but it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Come to think of it I think this when we started saying it. Because of the song in high school and it just sort of stuck - with that group of friends anyway. We probably regress back to high school immaturity when we get together and so still say it. It's fun for us but I'm sure would sound weird to others.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrpmarm View Post
And nope. I care about the fact that there are people who seem to be treating Cali as if it's an affront to their heritage and have such a visceral reaction to it and clearly hold the attitude of "if you say Cali, I think less of you."
So, you don't care what others think about how you present yourself, but you do care what others think about how you present yourself.

One sign of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. Another is the ability to realize when it defeats your own argument.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 PM

409 posts, read 484,537 times
Quote:
So if native Californians have nothing to prove, why are most of the ones here the ones saying, "I'm a native and I would NEVER say it." You're trying to prove something by labeling yourself in your argument.
The OP asked native Californians what they thought of the use of "Cali". So, some natives answered the question. Most don't like it. Just answering the question, not trying to prove anything.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
The OP asked native Californians what they thought of the use of "Cali". So, some natives answered the question. Most don't like it. Just answering the question, not trying to prove anything.
Oh wait! This is correct.
Why is it here?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Clever. What is this the Old West where we still run people out of towns? If you're going to be snarky, at least be in the right century when you do it.
Why? What difference does it make what century I'm in? Clever is clever. Whenever. And in my case, always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California