Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times

Advertisements

One spot in Tulare...taken on two separate days. No real further need to elaborate. The pictures pretty much tell the story. I have to admit myself that this is pretty bad. This is even when allowing for the fact that the Valley's unique topography dooms it to being a smog bowl that has little or no chance of being remediated; Even were there to be no human activity or presence in the Valley whatsoever, air pollution levels would still change very little. Consequently it can't be used as an example of the failure of pollution control-or for that matter, an argument in favor of it, since California already has some of the most stringent anti-pollution standards in the nation if not the world.

I know that ultimately moving away would be the best way out of this. But pending that, I guess a crapload of air filters and closed doors might be the next best thing. Of course so would blowing the Tehachapis near Arvin to smithereens out to the Mojave Desert....as I recall was actually proposed at one time, I think back in the late 70's or early 80's.

*sigh*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:38 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Excellent thread topic. +1

There are a number of posters on this forum who rag on about how little attention is given to creating jobs and employment for the Valley. The above is why developing the Valley is NOT a good idea. One poster in another thread back a month, suggested that part of the increased state and community revenues, from Valley development, could be used for medical treatment to offset the lung problems that would result. Fact is, most lung ailments are incurable, life-long conditions once acquired. And they grossly shorten life.

We humans have this illusion of ourselves as invincible, all-conquering, technology-will-solve-everything superheroes. Fact is, man is not suited to just live anywhere he pleases.

California has too many people. Developing further is insanity. Developing the Valley is double insanity.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 PM

462 posts, read 741,937 times
They dont call it the armpit for nothing........ the top picture is seattle's air on a bad day....... were spoiled by the far better air quality up here than down in da CV.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 PM

133 posts, read 274,886 times
I would like to see more comparison picks from various places, neat to see in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Even were there to be no human activity or presence in the Valley whatsoever, air pollution levels would still change very little.
My mom moved here when she was 13 in the 1940s. She told me that in Merced you could see the Sierra most of the year (save for foggy days in the winter of course). It wasn't until the 50s and 60s that ended. I do remember when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s when we came up from Oakdale to Oroville to visit family that the air quality north of Sacramento was noticeable better. It was very clean and you could see from one side of the valley to the other quite clearly. While its still better up here, its not nearly as good as it was. Much more smoke almost on a yearly basis (wildfires in summer, rice stubble burning in the fall, wood stoves and fireplaces in winter). Chico went from 25,000 people to 90,000 during that 40 years (for instance). Too much growth, too many cars and too much wood burning (either from wildfires or the popularity of it for home heating since the 70s). I moved here from Monterey in 2008. Bad decision for my health. I won't leave while my mom's alive (she's 87), but I have no intention growing old in this valley.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Where is a Central Valley sub-forum when we need it?!?!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
The wind blows from west to east. Where are the coastal emissions to go when they hit the mountains? Lets face it, the commuters in, to, and from the coastal regions are polluting the valley air. Not to mention the industries that are centered in the large metropolitan areas along the coast. But who cares. Lets just complain how bad the valley is and that it's the armpit of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California