Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Suppose you could choose between earning 90k in San Jose or 90k in Fresno. Assume you would be the sole breadwinner for yourself, stay at home spouse and children ages 3 and 0. Which would you choose and why?
Having a family of 4 on an income of 90k would be really tough in San Jose. Of course since I would be underpaid, I could probably quickly move to another position that pays much better in San Jose, I don't know what the job market is like in Fresno, but I doubt the economy is the same, so I doubt I could move up in my career as quickly. I was making 90k 7 years ago when I finished grad school, but now I make a lot more, if I were in that situation 7 years ago as far as family situation is concerned, I would certainly do San Jose, then probably move to Seattle or Austin when I have more experience. In Fresno I would probably be stuck making 90k as the lack of job opportunities would mean I'm stuck with that job, the air quality would certainly be an issue. The opportunity for job advancement is certainly a reason people move to San Jose, at some point though that slows down, but 90k is almost starting salary in my field though, so I would imagine with an offer like that there would be a lot of opportunity for advancement.

So that is what I would choose, the weather and air quality are pluses as well, but would have to rent an older apartment or townhouse at the edge of town until I get a better job. When my spouse starts working I would imagine he would get a similar job, so it would really only be for a year or two, but that probably has more to do with the guys I date.

Maybe my answer is too personalized to me, so I don't know what use it is for this hypothetical, but you did ask which I would choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM

306 posts, read 603,417 times
House or apt? That's essentially what the OP is asking.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Having a family of 4 on an income of 90k would be really tough in San Jose. Of course since I would be underpaid, I could probably quickly move to another position that pays much better in San Jose, I don't know what the job market is like in Fresno, but I doubt the economy is the same, so I doubt I could move up in my career as quickly. I was making 90k 7 years ago when I finished grad school, but now I make a lot more, if I were in that situation 7 years ago as far as family situation is concerned, I would certainly do San Jose, then probably move to Seattle or Austin when I have more experience. In Fresno I would probably be stuck making 90k as the lack of job opportunities would mean I'm stuck with that job, the air quality would certainly be an issue. The opportunity for job advancement is certainly a reason people move to San Jose, at some point though that slows down, but 90k is almost starting salary in my field though, so I would imagine with an offer like that there would be a lot of opportunity for advancement.

So that is what I would choose, the weather and air quality are pluses as well, but would have to rent an older apartment or townhouse at the edge of town until I get a better job. When my spouse starts working I would imagine he would get a similar job, so it would really only be for a year or two, but that probably has more to do with the guys I date.

Maybe my answer is too personalized to me, so I don't know what use it is for this hypothetical, but you did ask which I would choose.
I should say that I would probably be hesitant to move to Fresno because it is arguably one of the most homophobic cities in California (at least it is not Bakersfield). While for the most part it would be okay if I were single, I imagine if I were married, and my husband stayed at home to take care of the children, I (well more him) would stick out like sore thumb and become a target. I would have to think about what is best for my family on those situations. Kind of forgot about that stuff (being too long in the Bay Area bubble, forgot how intolerant other areas can be).

Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
^White privilege at its finest.
So there's an institutional systematic scheme going on to keep people of white color down? That's new.
This is quite possibly the most laughable post I've ever read on this site. Because I choose to not be racist and refuse to take blame for other racist people, I'm somehow privileged? Because I don't give into other peoples' delusional victim mentalities, I'm somehow privileged? I can't even begin to imagine how any intelligent person would've have come to that conclusion from my previous post.

You seriously have problems. Good luck with your miserable existence.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
This is quite possibly the most laughable post I've ever read on this site. Because I choose to not be racist and refuse to take blame for other racist people, I'm somehow privileged? Because I don't give into other peoples' delusional victim mentalities, I'm somehow privileged? I can't even begin to imagine how any intelligent person would've have come to that conclusion from my previous post.

You seriously have problems. Good luck with your miserable existence.
Anytime you tell someone to stop being a victim or racism doesn't exist or reverse racism that's white privilege. You personal messaged me to stop being a jack ass (so like yourself). You're a racist for being offended by the truth. And anyone else who is offended by it is too. Don't pm me if you don't have anything positive to say.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
First of all San Jose is a place for everybody. I believe my the experiences of my ex who has lived in the Bay Area for 17 years are WAY more representative of what it is like to be black and live in San Jose than someone who came here for vacation a few times. If you are going to come up with anecdotal evidence, at least make it something based on people's experiences living here. Not someone that showed up from out of town once in a blue moon. As I said, the experiences from people that live here are contrary to what you're saying, and would certainly ring more true since they have actual experience living here.
My dad is from San Jose. What's thicker blood or water?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times

Folks, let's please stay on topic "90k in San Jose vs. 90k in Fresno".

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Fresno (Clovis).

Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
If the 'liberal-ness' or 'conservative-ness' of your neighbors would affect your choice to live in SJ or live in Fresno, this article in the Sac Bee :

California's most conservative and liberal cities: Where's yours? - Data Center - The Sacramento Bee

lists the top 150 cities in the state (by population), and compares voter registration stats (lefties vs. righties).

SJ is at spot 51, and Fresno is at spot 74 (the higher the number, the more registered republicans)

Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM

170 posts, read 292,039 times
I've lived in both Fresno and SJ. 90K will get you much more in Fresno than SJ. Personally I'd go to SJ. There's many more things to do and see in the Bay Area compared to Fresno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California