Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 PM

2,224 posts, read 772,226 times

Advertisements

First of all, let's please not make this an anti-California thread. I don't want to discourage anyone who is truly excited about moving here! Being aware is one thing - scaring them off is another! I am a native Southern Californian. Although I like it here for the most part, I feel it's time to move on. I will never be able to afford to own my own home here. I know everyone just loves the weather but to be honest...the weather is boring to me. We seem to have two seasons - hot and not so hot. I would really love to live in an area that has actual seasons. I'm not going to bash my homestate. I just think it's time for something different. I am also not looking to move to my new hometown and change it, (or Californicate it, as some people like to say ) but rather embrace the new lifestyle. We are looking at the New England area. So, why are you other Californians moving and where are you moving to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
You answered your own question. Your priced out of a house. I am priced out of Florida and we have similar weather! Im looking for cheap houses and a change of weather in WV or OH. What state interests you?

Old 10-30-2006, 02:17 AM

I know I answered my own question, silly! I was asking other Californians for their input. Yes, our housing is way out of my league! Shocking to some, but I'm kind of sick of the weather. I want four seasons! As far as states go, VT and NH mostly. Possibly Northern NY. What made you decide on OH (I've read some of your other posts )? Is it mostly the housing costs or something about the area, geographically speaking, that interests you?

Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Very affordable $50k houses and milder winters. Yes im also sick of the heat but I dont want freezing cold that gets well into the minus! I dont want feet of snow blocking me and keeping me a prisioner of my house. Ohio has seasons too without the harsh cold winters. A few inches of snow here and there, winters in the 20s. Not bad.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:57 AM

117 posts, read 622,859 times
Born and raised here in California. Love the weather out here in the High Desert. We get rain, wind, beautiful fall and spring weather and hot summers, and sometimes enough snow to make a snowman. The rest of the time we have to improvise with tumble weeds and a can of snow.

But, my husbands is being relocated to Colorado soon.
If we had a choice, it probably would be Colorado anyways because of all the wonderful things we keep hearing. Prices of homes, laws, scenery, interesting weather, etc.
I recently found out that there is no smogging your vehicles in Colorado. That alone is going to save my family money.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
You purposefully smog your vehicles in CA? Well, if CO doesn't smog their vehicles, it probably will save you some money, what with the cost of smog these days.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 AM

Smogging means getting a smog check. Your car must pass this test in order to be registered. Basically, it's a test to see about the emissions so as to NOT contribute to pollution and smog. If it doesn't pass - it doesn't get registered.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:35 AM

61 posts, read 290,774 times
SAPHRYE,
I think that evryone basically has the same goals.The cost of living here is just to exspensive.Even though I do think that home prices will decrease I do not think that it will decrease enough to make home prices affordable to middle of the road citizens.My entire family lives here and it is a hard decision to move,but I have my own family's best interest to look out for as well.Even is housing does come down significantly which I doubt,I have decided that I want something else.Yes the weather is great ,lots of diversity.But I want a simpler life ,less people ,not as much traffic.Neighbors that I actually know.Southern California does not offer the lifestyle that I seek.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:52 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
I live in NE OH, and we have the same thing; it's called an E-check (Emissions Check). Thanks for clarifying. Wishing everyone a good week.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
No smog checks in Colorado.......don't know where you got that info.....WRONG!!!!!!!!!
And, watch out for what you "wish for/want". States that do have 4 Seasons, like Colorado, can get some hefty thunderstorms and snowstorms. We live in Parker and got 12 inches of snow last week. It hasn't all melted yet (Monday, 30th).
Unfortunately, wayyyyyyyy to many people relate all of Southern California with LA. However, it is very, very true that Southern California is very expensive to live in and the traffic will drive you NUTS. The crime rate in LA,,,,,,don't even want to go there!!!
So, why do some people want to move out........there are some very good reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California