Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Officer Friendly? Hallloo?
More reading material for your enjoyment:
33 Scientific Reasons To Smoke More Weed
You know you (mari)wanna
posted on March 21, 2014, at 6:29 p.m.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/justincariss...-to-smoke-more

Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Legalize it, and tax it. Just like alcohol.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:33 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
I can see I'm still living in your head rent free...
I would have replied sooner but hey... someone has to support the lives of drug users who aren't working

The article was hilarious.... I had a great laugh.. thanks
Note the majority of comments were against the false statements made.

Nearly 40 years of drug use... well... I guess you certainly are experienced at it... good for you .. what a life accomplishment.... I demurr to your vast expertise .... I'm in awe

Have a nice day... thanks for the enlightenment

Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I can see I'm still living in your head rent free...
Apparently I am also in your head. Quite free.
Quote:
I would have replied sooner but hey... someone has to support the lives of drug users who aren't working
If you are referring to me as a non-working drug user, um, I've worked longer than you've been alive. Never missed a day from drugs. Never get sick. Enjoyed my profession. Worked since I was 12. You know I'm old enough to be your father, right sonny? Do you think it's wrong for a guy to retire? (Just last year for me finally)

Quote:
Nearly 40 years of drug use... well... I guess you certainly are experienced at it... good for you .. what a life accomplishment.... I demurr to your vast expertise .... I'm in awe
You know what I think is my greatest accomplishment? Not wasting my life doing a job I can't handle without it souring my mind and disposition, leaving me bitter and angry and negatively judgmental about things I don't have the apparent capacity to understand.
Quote:
Have a nice day... thanks for the enlightenment
You are more than welcome. Happy to be of service.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Classic statements of a drug addict in denial

Druggies telling the rest of us how logical they are... now thats good for a laugh.. the thing is about drug use,,, once used any action without it is unrealized... so any statemnt about its effect upons one's existence is by default already skewed,,, there are no do-overs bud...
Do you have any scientific evidence to back up your claims about drug use and addiction? Or are you just parroting back what the Reagans said 30 years ago because marijuana bothers you?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
The history of marijuana law.

A Brief History of How Marijuana Became Illegal in the U.S. - Mic

Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Do you have any scientific evidence to back up your claims about drug use and addiction? Or are you just parroting back what the Reagans said 30 years ago because marijuana bothers you?
National Institue of Drug Abuse
Rising Potency

The amount of THC in marijuana samples confiscated by police has been increasing steadily over the past few decades. In 2012, THC concentrations in marijuana averaged close to 15 percent, compared to around 4 percent in the 1980s. For a new user, this may mean exposure to higher concentrations of THC, with a greater chance of an adverse or unpredictable reaction. Increases in potency may account for the rise in emergency department visits involving marijuana use. For frequent users, it may mean a greater risk for addiction if they are exposing themselves to high doses on a regular basis. However, the full range of consequences associated with marijuana's higher potency is not well understood. For example, experienced users may adjust their intake in accordance with the potency or they may be exposing their brains to higher levels overall, or both.

Is Marijuana Addictive?

Contrary to common belief, marijuana is addictive. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent, or 1 in 6) and among people who use marijuana daily (to 25-50 percent).

Long-term marijuana users trying to quit report withdrawal symptoms including irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which can make it difficult to abstain. Behavioral interventions, including cognitive-behavioral therapy and motivational incentives (i.e., providing vouchers for goods or services to patients who remain abstinent) have proven to be effective in treating marijuana addiction. Although no medications are currently available, recent discoveries about the workings of the endocannabinoid system offer promise for the development of medications to ease withdrawal, block the intoxicating effects of marijuana, and prevent relapse.

Brown University White paper
Is marijuana addictive?

No one would argue that marijuana is as addictive as alcohol or cocaine. However, it's wrong to say that it is not at all addictive. More and more studies are finding that marijuana has addictive properties. Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams. Tolerance to marijuana also builds up rapidly. Heavy users need 8 times higher doses to get the same effects as infrequent users.

For a small percentage of people who use it, marijuana can be highly addictive. It is estimated that 10% to 14% of users will become heavily dependent. In 2006 marijuana was responsible for 16% of all admissions to treatment facilities in the U.S. Because the consequences of marijuana use can be subtle and insidious, it is more difficult to recognize signs of addiction. Cultural and societal beliefs that marijuana cannot be addictive make it less likely for people to seek help or to get support for quitting.

And some of their many conclusions about addiction

More frequent use
Needing more and more to get the same effect
Spending time thinking about using marijuana (as in this forum for example)
Spending more money than you have on it
Missing class or failing to finish assignments because of marijuana
Making new friends who do it and neglecting old friends who don't
Finding it's hard to be happy without it

From Psychology Today

Is marijuana addictive? You can bet your heroin on that!
Yes, marijuana and opiates are connected, so what does that mean?
Published on January 24, 2010 by Adi Jaffe, Ph.D. in All About Addiction

This is the ultimate question for many people. In fact, when discussing addiction, it is rare that the addiction potential for marijuana doesn't come up. Well, this is one of many posts on the topic, and before some of the readers get all upset, please read the post in its entirety.
Some basic points about marijuana

The active ingredient in marijuana, THC, binds to cannabinoid receptors in the brain (CB1 and CB2). Since it is a partial agonist, it activates these receptors, though not to their full capacity. The fact that cannabinoid receptors modulate mood, sleep, and appetite to some extent is the reason behind many of marijuana's effects.

But how is marijuana addictive? What's the link to heroin?

What most people don't know is that there is quite a bit of interaction between the cannabinoid receptor system (especially CB1 receptors) and the opioid receptor system in the brain. In fact, research has shown that without the activation of the µ opioid receptor, THC is no longer rewarding. If the fact that marijuana activates the same receptor system as opiates (like heroin, morphine, oxycontin, etc.) surprises you, you should read on. The opioid system in turn activates the dopamine reward pathway I've discussed in numerous other posts (look here for a start). This is the mechanisms that is assumed to underlie the rewarding, and many of the addictive, properties of essentially all drugs of abuse.
But we're not done!

Without the activation of the CB1 receptors, it seems that opiates, alcohol, nicotine, and perhaps stimulants (like methamphetamine) lose some of their rewarding properties. This would mean that drug reward depends much more heavily on the cannabinoid receptor system than had been previously thought. Since this is the main target for THC, it stands to reason that the same would go for marijuana.
So what?! Why is marijuana addictive?

Since there's a close connection between the targets of THC and the addictive properties of many other drugs, it seems to me that arguing against an addictive potential for marijuana is silly. Of course, some will read this as my saying that marijuana is always addictive and very dangerous. They would be wrong. My point is that marijuana can not be considered as having no potential for addiction. As I've pointed out many times before, the proportion of drug users that become addicted, or dependent, on drugs is relatively small (10%-15%). This is true for almost all drugs.

There are numerous studies in the literature and more everyday now that dopers are getting 30 plus percent thc product out there ( as reported by our lab here)... its not your 1970s whacky weed anymore.. even the good viet sheeit my forum tenant professes to have smoked.. now its vaping it and honey oil and whatever other distillation dopers can figure out to get them higher faster and for longer. This is just a gloss over.. we havent even spoken about damage to the brain and organs

Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
You seem to think that everyone who partakes is a burnout loser, when in reality, lots of people can take it or leave it without any problems. You yourself even said that only 10-15 of people even become 'addicted' to drugs, and you aren't really differentiating between a physical addiction (like opiates, cocaine, benzos, nicotine, and alcohol) and one that's mostly psychological (marijuana). Alcohol prohibition was an abject failure, and marijuana prohibition isn't any different. You can site all the government sponsored 'studies' you want, but it's obvious you have a lot to learn about people and how their minds/bodies work. In your world, I guess it's easier to just to make sweeping generalizations and assumptions about marijuana users (HINT: lots of people use it as a legitimate form of medicine, and lots of people use it recreationally every once in a blue moon without any negative consequences) without any direct experience with a substance and continue fighting a senseless, failure of a war, because you don't understand and dislike marijuana. I feel sorry for you. But mostly I feel sorrier for the rest of the country, since it's people like you that have perpetuated this whole mess

Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
National Institue of Drug Abuse
Rising Potency

The amount of THC in marijuana samples confiscated by police has been increasing steadily over the past few decades. In 2012, THC concentrations in marijuana averaged close to 15 percent, compared to around 4 percent in the 1980s. For a new user, this may mean exposure to higher concentrations of THC, with a greater chance of an adverse or unpredictable reaction. Increases in potency may account for the rise in emergency department visits involving marijuana use. For frequent users, it may mean a greater risk for addiction if they are exposing themselves to high doses on a regular basis. However, the full range of consequences associated with marijuana's higher potency is not well understood. For example, experienced users may adjust their intake in accordance with the potency or they may be exposing their brains to higher levels overall, or both.

Is Marijuana Addictive?

Contrary to common belief, marijuana is addictive. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent, or 1 in 6) and among people who use marijuana daily (to 25-50 percent).

Long-term marijuana users trying to quit report withdrawal symptoms including irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which can make it difficult to abstain. Behavioral interventions, including cognitive-behavioral therapy and motivational incentives (i.e., providing vouchers for goods or services to patients who remain abstinent) have proven to be effective in treating marijuana addiction. Although no medications are currently available, recent discoveries about the workings of the endocannabinoid system offer promise for the development of medications to ease withdrawal, block the intoxicating effects of marijuana, and prevent relapse.

Brown University White paper
Is marijuana addictive?

No one would argue that marijuana is as addictive as alcohol or cocaine. However, it's wrong to say that it is not at all addictive. More and more studies are finding that marijuana has addictive properties. Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams. Tolerance to marijuana also builds up rapidly. Heavy users need 8 times higher doses to get the same effects as infrequent users.

For a small percentage of people who use it, marijuana can be highly addictive. It is estimated that 10% to 14% of users will become heavily dependent. In 2006 marijuana was responsible for 16% of all admissions to treatment facilities in the U.S. Because the consequences of marijuana use can be subtle and insidious, it is more difficult to recognize signs of addiction. Cultural and societal beliefs that marijuana cannot be addictive make it less likely for people to seek help or to get support for quitting.

And some of their many conclusions about addiction

More frequent use
Needing more and more to get the same effect
Spending time thinking about using marijuana (as in this forum for example)
Spending more money than you have on it
Missing class or failing to finish assignments because of marijuana
Making new friends who do it and neglecting old friends who don't
Finding it's hard to be happy without it

From Psychology Today

Is marijuana addictive? You can bet your heroin on that!
Yes, marijuana and opiates are connected, so what does that mean?
Published on January 24, 2010 by Adi Jaffe, Ph.D. in All About Addiction

This is the ultimate question for many people. In fact, when discussing addiction, it is rare that the addiction potential for marijuana doesn't come up. Well, this is one of many posts on the topic, and before some of the readers get all upset, please read the post in its entirety.
Some basic points about marijuana

The active ingredient in marijuana, THC, binds to cannabinoid receptors in the brain (CB1 and CB2). Since it is a partial agonist, it activates these receptors, though not to their full capacity. The fact that cannabinoid receptors modulate mood, sleep, and appetite to some extent is the reason behind many of marijuana's effects.

But how is marijuana addictive? What's the link to heroin?

What most people don't know is that there is quite a bit of interaction between the cannabinoid receptor system (especially CB1 receptors) and the opioid receptor system in the brain. In fact, research has shown that without the activation of the µ opioid receptor, THC is no longer rewarding. If the fact that marijuana activates the same receptor system as opiates (like heroin, morphine, oxycontin, etc.) surprises you, you should read on. The opioid system in turn activates the dopamine reward pathway I've discussed in numerous other posts (look here for a start). This is the mechanisms that is assumed to underlie the rewarding, and many of the addictive, properties of essentially all drugs of abuse.
But we're not done!

Without the activation of the CB1 receptors, it seems that opiates, alcohol, nicotine, and perhaps stimulants (like methamphetamine) lose some of their rewarding properties. This would mean that drug reward depends much more heavily on the cannabinoid receptor system than had been previously thought. Since this is the main target for THC, it stands to reason that the same would go for marijuana.
So what?! Why is marijuana addictive?

Since there's a close connection between the targets of THC and the addictive properties of many other drugs, it seems to me that arguing against an addictive potential for marijuana is silly. Of course, some will read this as my saying that marijuana is always addictive and very dangerous. They would be wrong. My point is that marijuana can not be considered as having no potential for addiction. As I've pointed out many times before, the proportion of drug users that become addicted, or dependent, on drugs is relatively small (10%-15%). This is true for almost all drugs.

There are numerous studies in the literature and more everyday now that dopers are getting 30 plus percent thc product out there ( as reported by our lab here)... its not your 1970s whacky weed anymore.. even the good viet sheeit my forum tenant professes to have smoked.. now its vaping it and honey oil and whatever other distillation dopers can figure out to get them higher faster and for longer. This is just a gloss over.. we havent even spoken about damage to the brain and organs
I don't dispute any of this. But I find it amusing that you find it so alarmingly significant.

Alcohol is addictive.

Tobacco (nicotine) is.

Caffeine of course.

Sugar too! - you know, like in kid's breakfast cereals, soda, concentrated juice and sports drinks, cookies and ice cream, even 'natural snacks' - ad infinitum.

Running and other exercise has been shown to be addictive - Exercise addiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Sex is addicting.

The internet is addicting to many.

Why, even love is addictive.

The levels of harm discussed in your copy-pastes in your latest post are presented as pretty mild and nominal by the reports themselves. This is what you fear? This is what you feel is bringing civilization to the brink of apocalypse? You need some serious intervention. Medication is in order. Deep therapy.

Marijuana has been cultivated for use as a drug since almost 3000 B.C. We're all still here (and still getting a buzz). It's stronger now? Oh noes! Do ya think that might mean people just take fewer hits, cop?

10% might become addicted? To a mild drug that causes fewer problems in society than any other recreational drug? Cop, that 10% who develop a problem have a problem with or without weed. Your pastes above point this out - the addiction rates are similar for alcohol and other drugs. These are people who have to recognize and confront their addictive nature. It's too bad they have to suffer. But there's nothing speciously evil about marijuana in any of what you have just posted.

You need professional help for your obsessive disorder.

Or you might try a little weed from time to time. I have read it calms prisoners in Dutch jails. Perhaps it could do wonders for you too.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Sgt Stedenko is a latent stoner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California