Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:33 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times

Advertisements

I immediately thought of SLO coastal area before I hit it in your post. I lived there for a few years. I was bored to tears but you'll probably love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal View Post
I just wanted to give some input about Shingletown. I lived there my whole life until I was almost 21. Its nice during the summer because it is not as hot as Redding. There are many surrounding lakes, rivers and swimming holes. Spring and fall are gorgeous. Winter can be bad, so make sure you have 4 wheel drive. Lassen volcanic national park is about 20 miles away. Fishing is great, many places to go camping and such. If you are a nature person and dont mind commuting to work (if you plan to work in Redding) it's a great place. The people are friendly and you will get to know everyone quickly. I never really appreciated Shingletown until I left for the military. I miss it more than ever! Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions!
I am thinking about moving to shingletown..out of this vegas

Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I did some more checking, and discovered a small city (town?) about 35 miles from Redding, called Shingletown. It would be possible for me to live there and commute to Redding for work. I don't know if I'd have to take a cut in pay, though... and I'd probably have to live in a shack! At least Shingletown is at 3,489 feet, so it's probably cooler. Yea!
Myself and my hubby thought shingletown would be a good place to raise our children .Through some checking the school here was supposed to be one of the better ones in the north state. Well we found otherwise.Not only has the school system failed since the 3rd grade to protect my child from bullies, but they also failed him educationally.They would not and still will not test him like we asked. He has taken standarized school tests and tested at a much higher level than he is being educated at.

Other issues this school has are paramount . like bomb threatens at 9 am and not telling parents till after lunch time. Oh and lets not forget you better be completly complacent with the school personel or they may just decide to be judgmental of you because you are in a smaller incom bracket ,or live on a dirt road all the time ,or maybe you are judged because you are a blue collar worker and not white. im not sure which it is .
But we thought through checking things out that this would be a nice place to raise our children but unfornatly i believe this town mayb better off if mayb the whole town was a retirment City.
It definatley is not friendly to average everyday hard working family.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM

182 posts, read 927,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodanna View Post
I'm a military wife and husband is heading BACK to Iraq for another long year . I don't work nor do we have kids to restrict places in which to lay my hat for this adventure. I have an opportunity to go anywhere for the year and I would like to use this to test the waters of a new place less the military community and outside of east coast living. This time/place would also be a scouting mission to see where I want to go in the second half of my life as far as career opportunities and way of life. I'm in my 40's and feel completely lost this time round. As far as my interest I like cool weather, coastal areas, mountain ranges and don't mind the rain or fog. Also, enjoy snow sports and a broad range of outdoor activities. Plus my dog needs a lot of outside time in which to burn her energy. I do not like the glam slam that was noted while passing through LA several years ago.

Thoughts so far: CA the SLO area or northern coastal regions. I'm also looking at CO and Utah areas. I'll tell you if I could swing it I'd make my way back to England but with the exchange rate as is and their economy flatter than a bad hair day it's not feasible. I've thought about NZ and even NW Canada to relocate. I should spill that this 'may' be a long term home for me, as the time spent away from my spouse these last 4 years - have only seen him maybe 4 months out of those 4 years due to the war, has taken a huge toll on our 20 year marriage. I would welcome all suggestions to areas within your state and any others that come to mind. Thanks much. jo-danna
Well! Aare you still reading htis, JoDanna?
I am curious about where like has taken you in the 2+ years since you posted here.
Where did you end up moving to? Are you in college? Hope you are doing well. I was certainly sad to hear of your breakup after 20+ years. I do hope you aer doing ok.
Interesting to read the thread. If you have not already moved to California, let me offer up a few options for you.
In San Luis Obispo County you might like living in Cambria, on the north coast. Rugged coastline-cliffs, rocky, not much beach here. Pine forest, lots of fog with cooler sunny weather. Small town...friendly...artsy community...tourists attracted here. "Northern California" feel.
Morro Bay also has the cooler coastal climate friendly community.
San Luis Obispo (SLO) South coast might be attractive to you too. More of a SoCal but not glammy like LA. Lots of fog here, cooler...rarely tops 75 degrees on summer days.
Lots of open land everywhere in SLO County. Grasslands in the lower elevations, forests in the mountain ranges.
Eureeka on the coast in Northen Cal would be a good choice for the climate you are looking for. Also, not bad for outdoors activity or more urban activities.
I am also thinking that Western Coastal Oregon state and Washington state would fit your needs climatically. Lots of fog, cloud cover, rain. Plenty of open space, forests, mountains. You know, areas like Seattle, Wa and Portland or even Coos Bay, Oregon.
Please drop us a line and let us know where life has taken you.
Hope this is helpful!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
San Jose is the best place to live in California.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Why do you say that, Jarndyce? Many people would say it's a good place to work, but I've never heard anyone say that they'd want to live there above all other places.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM

84 posts, read 293,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodanna View Post
Thanks Steve for your response. While I don't want the culture extremities of many smaller towns I'm not yet driven to those areas that have more than enough affluent culture wealth in its faces and places.

<sigh> Cost of living is a huge issue for me, as Uncle Sam doesn't like to keep its service members fat and independent. Currently my comfort zone is 1k for a 1 bedroom place. Too little I suspect for such a rich state.

Husband just gave the word this weekend and wants to separate, so COL is even more crucial. I'll have to return to school and find my place in this world - somewhere.
You will, believe me.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 AM

75 posts, read 99,209 times
Paradise is just 'up the hill' from Chico ... I'm scrolling forums as we want to get out of CA ... most of our friends have moved to the Carson City/Dayton area and now that I'm retired we are looking to move. Need to sell our home and go ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California