Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 AM

117 posts, read 149,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Ooooh yeah, Pismo, Morro Bay, Cambria area... those are nice places! Also closer to Big Sur and the best steak ever at Jocko's in Nipomo!
Try The Far Western Tavern in Guadalupe or the original Hitching Post in Casmalia or the other one in Buellton. The one in Buellton isn't far from the Windmill Inn...yeah, the Windmill Inn. And yes, Jockos is great.

Dear Princess - I'm not really sure what you want to see or experience in California but that image most people in other states have of California doesn't really exist, at least not entirely. The Central coast is a real quiet and laid back area. Santa Barbara or Carmel/Monterey is more of what you may be accustomed to and still be on the beach. Santa Cruz is great and will have the mixture of everything you have in mind.

I would definitely not go anywhere near the area between Bakersfield and Sacramento unless you want to find yourself in 1930's deep Alabama or Mississippi. Before you leave try wine country in Sonoma and Napa. San Luis Obispo county has a great wine industry that a lot of people aren't aware of.

As far as Cali...I myself don't get hung-up on cute names so as a native Californian it doesn't bother me. I spend a lot of time in the East Bay area and when I'm in the city I love to say 'Frisco" because it makes all the non-native transplants give me a snide look like I'm some kind of a hayseed tourist that just came into town.

Good luck and enjoy your stay. I hope you have many wonderful experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 01:01 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,358,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post

As far as Cali...I myself don't get hung-up on cute names so as a native Californian it doesn't bother me. I spend a lot of time in the East Bay area and when I'm in the city I love to say 'Frisco" because it makes all the non-native transplants give me a snide look like I'm some kind of a hayseed tourist that just came into town.
The thing is, would the OP be okay with us calling New York, Newie? Hey, was thinking about moving to Newie, what area should I move to?

That's what Cali sounds like to us.

Or how about, Minneapolis? Let's call it Minnie. I guess that might get confused with Minnesota...

Or Washington state? Washie?

Do you abbreviate Tennessee? Tennie?

How shall we abbreviate North Dakota? EnDoka? EnKotie?

Does anyone in New York call it Newie? Even if it's shorter and easier than saying New York?

What is an acceptable shortened term for New York?

NY..."En Why?" Is that any easier to say than New York?

I do think if we are going to call San Francisco "Frisco," then we should call Oakland "Okie."

Just sayin.'

Old 09-08-2014, 04:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,030,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
If you want to move to Columbia, why are you posting in the California forum? (Cali is a city in Columbia.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
LMAO. Whew! I nearly fell off my chair. I've never heard that one before.

I'm going to try that the next time someone posts that they are considering moving to San Francisco. "Hey, why do you want to move to a city in Columbia?"
Well, it's more the bastardization of 'California' than anything else. If someone had asked "Hey, I want to move to Frisco - help me", I might have responded "Post in the Texas forum (Frisco is a city in Texas not too far from Dallas)."

Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,611,044 times
I think the problem with "Cali" arises because the nickname is actually the name of another geographic locale (like Frisco). So it would be more like shortening New York to just "York", which is a common city name.

"California" is all of 4-ish syllables, unless you are a real stickler for pronunciation. Its not that long of a word to say. Not like "North Carolina".

But its a losing battle. "Cali" is here to stay. It is so widely used, I'm sure there are some people in certain geographic regions of our country who only know the state by that name.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,566,379 times
OP, I'm with the 'Cali is in Columbia' crowd.

But shipping your car out here for a month? That would probably cost more than renting a car out here for a month. Do some research on rates ...

Old 09-08-2014, 04:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,882,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
Hi! I was born and raised in Manhattan's UWS, Mom grew up a couple of blocks from where we live, Dad's from Long Island. Went to a private school in the city where everyone had pretty much the same background as me, went to college on the east coast. Ive never been past Vermont or Virginia (except Florida but that's a given lol). Basically I've never ventured out of my little east coast hole except for the occasional trip to Israel (Im Jewish) or Europe. I feel like I've seen everything there is to see around these parts and for a while now, I've been itching to experience some of this country's other cultures, specifically the West Coast, specifically, California. Im 22, I think its about time. I have 50k saved up and I'm 1/3 owner of my business which allows me to take off whenever. Im looking to chill in a stress free place, with picturesque beaches and slow paced, relaxed atmosphere. I don't want crowds, or scenes or ritz or any of that plastic culture that many people associate with LA. I absolutely hate that, ugh. I just want to rent a little cottage on a quiet beach, learn how to surf, maybe have a fling with a super hot tanned guy and just RELAX. I want to take in this foreign culture that is California. If not now, then when.

I know pretty much nothing about the different towns and cities in Califronia. I know there are a lot of Mexican influenced names and a bunch of cities that start with 'San' or 'Santa'. Beyond that I m clueless. Im looking for a place that has/is:

-non crowded beaches
-pretty, quaint main street, downtown
-laid back, non materialistic
-not too secluded
-luxury without the nouveau riche, in your face swankiness
-not super touristy (ironic i guess)

Note: Most of my friends i grew up with are married, some even have babies. All my post high school friends from college or just around don't have the money to do the things i want to do (and the ones that do have little vacation time) The things i want to do being, get out of my bubble and explore the world. I'm pretty independent, so I don't mind going alone, though it isn't ideal, it can actually be a good thing. I plan on staying a month, but i might cut it in half if i go crazy being solo.

Note 2: I will most likely have my car shipped to wherever i end up staying.
You're putting way too much thought into this. Just come out for a few weeks. And don't ship your car out (talk about a waste of money...). Just rent when you get here. Or do yourself a favor and see the rest of the country while you're at it and make the cross-country drive (It is very much worth it!).

Drive up and down the coast. When you feel "at home", that's where you should stay. There are a lot of good places that might fit your bill (and many have been recommended to you). But only you'll really know where you fit in best...so just come out. Driving up and down the coast will only take a few days. It shouldn't take you long to find where you want to stay.

P.S. There's a lot more to see than the coast in CA: gigantic (and some not-so-gigantic) mountains, the tallest/biggest/oldest trees in the world, deserted landscapes, dense cities, sprawling cities, etc. It's an enormous state, that is ridiculously-diverse, and often misunderstood/misrepresented in the media. What you probably know of "California" is really some weird bastardization of southern CA, and at that not really all that accurate (whatever movies/TV/music throw your way)...and a little of SF. And a lot of people that have never been to CA think that the two are right next to each other, when in fact they're not close and are pretty drastically different in many ways.

I used to live in upstate NY, and it was always funny to hear NYC folk talk about how far upstate is...or how it may as well have been a different country. And I was only 5-6 hours from the city. CA is so much bigger than NY state...it can take over 12 hours to drive north to south on the fastest road (I-5)...and much longer on the scenic roads.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM

35 posts, read 48,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You're putting way too much thought into this. Just come out for a few weeks. And don't ship your car out (talk about a waste of money...). Just rent when you get here. Or do yourself a favor and see the rest of the country while you're at it and make the cross-country drive (It is very much worth it!).
Would love to drive there but my cars leased and and I'm already over on monthly allotment of miles lol

Quote:
Drive up and down the coast. When you feel "at home", that's where you should stay. There are a lot of good places that might fit your bill (and many have been recommended to you). But only you'll really know where you fit in best...so just come out. Driving up and down the coast will only take a few days. It shouldn't take you long to find where you want to stay.
Funny I've been to the Hamptons every summer, and i just never feel 'at home', theres something off and artificial about. I literally just got back not 10 minutes ago. But when i go to Coastal Mass it just feels RIGHT, like its my town even though I'm there like once a year, weird. Thats what I'm looking for in CALI () a place that feels right, the new IT go to destination that feels like a second home, that i can fly out to whenever i get the need for sun and freedom.

Quote:
P.S. There's a lot more to see than the coast in CA: gigantic (and some not-so-gigantic) mountains, the tallest/biggest/oldest trees in the world, deserted landscapes, dense cities, sprawling cities, etc. It's an enormous state, that is ridiculously-diverse, and often misunderstood/misrepresented in the media. What you probably know of "California" is really some weird bastardization of southern CA, and at that not really all that accurate (whatever movies/TV/music throw your way)...and a little of SF. And a lot of people that have never been to CA think that the two are right next to each other, when in fact they're not close and are pretty drastically different in many ways.
I wanna check out the Redwoods.

Quote:
I used to live in upstate NY, and it was always funny to hear NYC folk talk about how far upstate is...or how it may as well have been a different country. And I was only 5-6 hours from the city. CA is so much bigger than NY state...it can take over 12 hours to drive north to south on the fastest road (I-5)...and much longer on the scenic roads.
Where upstate did you live? Most city folks think Westchester's upstate. Hudson Valley? What's that? Ask your average NYer where Buffalo is they'd most likely say Canada. Wow, didn't realize Cali was so big. 12 hours north of NYC you'd be well into Canada, 12 hours south you'd hit South Carolina

Last edited by tifflee92; 09-08-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 07:43 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,543,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The thing is, would the OP be okay with us calling New York, Newie? Hey, was thinking about moving to Newie, what area should I move to?

That's what Cali sounds like to us.

Or how about, Minneapolis? Let's call it Minnie. I guess that might get confused with Minnesota...

Or Washington state? Washie?

Do you abbreviate Tennessee? Tennie?

How shall we abbreviate North Dakota? EnDoka? EnKotie?

Does anyone in New York call it Newie? Even if it's shorter and easier than saying New York?

What is an acceptable shortened term for New York?

NY..."En Why?" Is that any easier to say than New York?

I do think if we are going to call San Francisco "Frisco," then we should call Oakland "Okie."

Just sayin.'
I know. I heard someone mentioning Penn State the other day and just thought to myself how ridiculous that sounded. Some prankster in Massachusetts wrote Mass on a bunch of their road signs. He's good at it too. You would think the state actually made the signs that way. You should help clean that up. As for me, I'm on a crusade against "LOL". I mean really, who goes around saying LOL? A friend tried to tell me it's just something that is used in written form but seldom said. Yeah right. I suppose he'll try telling me the same thing about Cali too.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,543,407 times
+1000

Cali could use about 10,000,000 more people like you.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-08-2014 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: The post you replied to has been deleted...

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,358,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
+1000

Cali could use about 10,000,000 more people like you.
Wouldn't it be easier for you to move to Newie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California