U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
1,661 posts, read 1,046,388 times
Reputation: 1231

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
Wondering how this turned from a discussion of Measure A to a discussion of this towns demise, but I give you this to read and digest https://crumblingtownreddingca.wordpress.com/ and for any sceptical residents of our fair city be sure to try out Lulu's across the street from the Pine St Safeway in the evening hours for dinner and observe the tweakers converging in the Safeway parking lot. Not so Safe


and to get back on track re: Measure A I have decided to vote no. I see no good coming from punishing those who are on limited incomes by requiring them to spend thousands of dollars they dont have when many are growing and using mmj responsibly. The city and county already have their own laws in place and the city and county will still be going after the illegal cartels and grows.

and for the record, I do not use or grow mmj as "someone" here seems to think. I much prefer a nice soak in the tub with a glass of wine for my ails. It's probably not the only time he's jumped to the wrong conclusion about someone with a different opinion.

adding some more food for thought from the Washington Post... After California decriminalized marijuana, teen arrest, overdose and dropout rates fell - The Washington Post
The blog in your posting was a bit of a eye opener...... no substitute for seeing visuals of the problems in Redding. I will point out though, that I would not have much trouble finding the same thing in San Francisco where I live.....not really in my neighborhood though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM
 
Location: On the water.
19,015 posts, read 11,291,723 times
Reputation: 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
Too late Tule, I'm probably already out of the gutter and right down there in the sewers! ;-)
Well, hasta la vista, baby. The devil takes another soul!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,163 posts, read 25,213,542 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Ok Beth.. you never answered as to whether you can actually vote on Measure A.. or like other people on here that promote free for all pot..... cannot



For the gandmothers that arent quite like you (British coorespondent so factor the language)

By David Millward, US Correspondent

2:57AM BST 10 Oct 2014

Cannabis dealing has come to a school playground in Colorado where the recreational use of marijuana has been legal since the beginning of the year.

A 10-year-old boy was reported for selling a bag of marijuana to three other children for $11 (£6.80).

To make matters worse one of the pupils, who did not have the ready cash, honoured the debt the following day with a marijuana-laced bar of chocolate.

In both cases the cannabis had been taken from the children’s grandparents.

With marijuana being legal the authorities in Greeley, Colorado have been unable to prosecute anyone for the playground transactions, even though the children have been disciplined.

But it has alarmed parents at the school.

“I didn’t think I would have to have a drug conversation with my six year old,” one parent said.

Jennifer Sheldon, the principal of Montfort Elementary School, where the drug dealing took place, has sent a letter to parents asking them to be vigilant.

"We urge all parents, grandparents and anyone who cares for children to treat marijuana as you would prescription drugs, alcohol or even firearms," the letter said.

"This drug is potentially lethal to children, and should always be kept under lock and key, away from young people."

Earlier this week John Hickenlooper, the Democrat who is seeking re-election as Colorado’s governor described the decision to legalise cannabis, following a referendum, was reckless.

Since then Washington State has also legalised recreational use of the drug and moves to follow suit are under way in Alaska, Washington DC and parts of Maine.



Legal drug dealing comes to school playground in Colorado - Telegraph

So Beth,, here is just another reason why YES on MEASURE A is good for our county.. lets make sure this stuff doesnt get picked by kids.. well.. we already know kids trim it.. why wouldnt they keep some for themselves... but lets at least make some attempt to keep it out of their hands

Swat the tule flys... and put out the candles.. lets get Measure A passed

What say you grandma?
Well, that's one little story of things "gone wrong". I live in Denver and have young children. I've seen absolutely no changes in my community since pot became legal. If parents are using pot and leaving it out where their kids can get at it, that's just as bad as leaving alcohol or prescription drugs lying around. I'd rather law enforcement focus on the tweakers and all the crime/health/child abuse issues that surround meth or heroin than bother people who smoke/use pot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 10,157,855 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Beth, where do you live?

Where is all this crime in the city I live in, but don't experience? Same with all this supposed meth use? More than other cities? How would you know? Read it on CD by someone who doesn't live here?

Explain why there is no graffiti in Redding.

Just irks me how people who don't live here go on and on about this and that about Redding, just because they read it here by someone who doesn't even live here.

If you really live here, No to St Louis, why don't you put it in your location?

This anti-Redding garbage just irks me. If you don't want to see meth users, don't hang out with them. Don't hang out where they go.

I just had a nice chat with a couple of beautiful women who were obviously well-off, this evening when I went to walk my dog. They were going out at the pricey steak restaurant across the street.

Have you seen the mansions on the cliffs above the river? How does Trader Joe's stay in business? Meth heads using their food stamps there? Shopping at Gap? Costco?

You are absolutely right about the heat in Redding. I just a few days ago turned off my air conditioner. It's been used daily since around May 15th. That's too hot for too long for me.

But, other than that, Redding is a great place. Name me one city in CA that has nobody using meth. In fact, name me another city that has no graffiti?

Redding is not a job career mecca. So what? Don't move here for a career.

Sheesh, this stuff drives me nuts.

NoMore... you are very new to Redding. Perhaps you are somehow able to live in your world and not see what's going on outside of it. I can't really say. But Redding has had a meth problem for years. It is well documented. And I understand that heroin use is up and rapes are increasing.

Where I live and how I know about Redding is of no concern to you. I do not have to list where I live.

And just because there are beautiful women who are well off and live in a mansion on the cliffs above the river and buy their goods at Trader Joe's doesn't mean there is no meth or crime. (whew, that was a long sentence.)

I am glad your experiences have mostly been great in Redding. But there is a seedy side to the area too. Something I hope you never experience.

And just for your information, you seem a little uptight with anxiety. Medical marijuana helps with that too. That remark was actually meant with kindness.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 12:16 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 10,157,855 times
Reputation: 3314
For those of you who have not read Measure A, here is the text:

http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/docs/Reso...2.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I especially enjoyed reading some of the "Definitions".


I do not believe that Measure A is going to solve the cultivation problems. It will only create more business for the Black Market and Cartels.

Expecting MJ patients to build a $12,000 outbuilding when many are already financially strapped is just wrong. Cultivation laws are already in place. Enforce them.

Write another Measure that makes sense.

Vote NO on Measure A.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,817 posts, read 28,258,741 times
Reputation: 38242
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Search "Redding Ca crime" and you'll come up with a bunch of sites citing statistics which support this article from February this year:

Redding makes Time's list of cities with soaring crime | Local News - Home

Wherever you live where there is a statistically high crime rate you obviously minimize the likelihood of being a victim by living outside the area pockets where the incidence of crime is higher and staying out of shifty areas - but to vociferously deny the plain facts accomplishes nothing.
Case in point. You live on St. Thomas, and are a British citizen.

Shall I comment on life on St. Thomas? Shall I find a bunch of internet sites that "prove" my point? Even though I've never been there?

Hate on, you all. Keeps the rents down.

But, for any future reader, please know that this little voice here on the threads about Redding, actually lives here. You might want to take that into consideration - read my posts about my real life experience here - before you start believing the "majority" who post regarding Redding, who all follow previous posters like sheep - and who have never set foot in this town.

Just sayin'.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,817 posts, read 28,258,741 times
Reputation: 38242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
NoMore... you are very new to Redding. Perhaps you are somehow able to live in your world and not see what's going on outside of it. I can't really say. But Redding has had a meth problem for years. It is well documented. And I understand that heroin use is up and rapes are increasing.

Where I live and how I know about Redding is of no concern to you. I do not have to list where I live.

And just because there are beautiful women who are well off and live in a mansion on the cliffs above the river and buy their goods at Trader Joe's doesn't mean there is no meth or crime. (whew, that was a long sentence.)

I am glad your experiences have mostly been great in Redding. But there is a seedy side to the area too. Something I hope you never experience.

And just for your information, you seem a little uptight with anxiety. Medical marijuana helps with that too. That remark was actually meant with kindness.
Actually, I believe you've said you live in the Eureka area. Do you not have any homeless there? No crime? No meth users?

I never said there is NO crime or meth use in Redding. I'm saying posts regarding Redding are greatly exaggerated in this regard. And by people who don't live here and never did. Kinda like you.

Me in my little world right in downtown Redding, where many of the homeless hang out or walk through. I'm sure it's no worse than downtown Eureka. In fact, I bet I could find "data" that says it's much worse.

And telling me I should smoke pot because I disagree with your "dissing" my nice little town, and get angry about it is - not an effective debate technique, by the way. Which I mean with kindness.

There are no towns left in America, IMO, that don't have a homeless problem. My best friend in Canada said there is a bad homeless problem there, too. She works in a hospital in Vernon, BC, which is a nice blue collar town, and she said they sleep in the parking lot there.

I just really don't understand the hate for Redding on this forum. But, like I said, hate on. Enjoy yourselves. It's just a shame that so much pressure is put on people who actually like Redding, and actually live here, to shut up and go away. Reminds me of the renters forum. It's also full of people who don't know what they're talking about, but bully anyone who has actual knowledge and good advice - to leave them to their little world.

Just sad for people who come here for real, good, first-hand advice or knowledge.

C'est la vie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 10,157,855 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Actually, I believe you've said you live in the Eureka area. Do you not have any homeless there? No crime? No meth users?

I never said there is NO crime or meth use in Redding. I'm saying posts regarding Redding are greatly exaggerated in this regard. And by people who don't live here and never did. Kinda like you.

Me in my little world right in downtown Redding, where many of the homeless hang out or walk through. I'm sure it's no worse than downtown Eureka. In fact, I bet I could find "data" that says it's much worse.

And telling me I should smoke pot because I disagree with your "dissing" my nice little town, and get angry about it is - not an effective debate technique, by the way. Which I mean with kindness.

There are no towns left in America, IMO, that don't have a homeless problem. My best friend in Canada said there is a bad homeless problem there, too. She works in a hospital in Vernon, BC, which is a nice blue collar town, and she said they sleep in the parking lot there.

I just really don't understand the hate for Redding on this forum. But, like I said, hate on. Enjoy yourselves. It's just a shame that so much pressure is put on people who actually like Redding, and actually live here, to shut up and go away. Reminds me of the renters forum. It's also full of people who don't know what they're talking about, but bully anyone who has actual knowledge and good advice - to leave them to their little world.

Just sad for people who come here for real, good, first-hand advice or knowledge.

C'est la vie.
Good grief. I never said I lived in Eureka, yes there are homeless where I live, yes, there is crime, and I suppose there are meth users.

I never told you to smoke pot, ugh and I never dissed you or your town.

I have no hate for Redding. But, I do have first hand knowledge whether you like it or not.

Don't know where you are coming from or going with your rant, but you couldn't be more far off point.

But you go ahead if it makes you feel better.

Can we get back to Measure A now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,817 posts, read 28,258,741 times
Reputation: 38242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
NoMore... you are very new to Redding. Perhaps you are somehow able to live in your world and not see what's going on outside of it. I can't really say. But Redding has had a meth problem for years. It is well documented. And I understand that heroin use is up and rapes are increasing.

Where I live and how I know about Redding is of no concern to you. I do not have to list where I live.

And just because there are beautiful women who are well off and live in a mansion on the cliffs above the river and buy their goods at Trader Joe's doesn't mean there is no meth or crime. (whew, that was a long sentence.)

I am glad your experiences have mostly been great in Redding. But there is a seedy side to the area too. Something I hope you never experience.

And just for your information, you seem a little uptight with anxiety. Medical marijuana helps with that too. That remark was actually meant with kindness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Good grief. I never said I lived in Eureka, yes there are homeless where I live, yes, there is crime, and I suppose there are meth users.

I never told you to smoke pot, ugh and I never dissed you or your town.

I have no hate for Redding. But, I do have first hand knowledge whether you like it or not.

Don't know where you are coming from or going with your rant, but you couldn't be more far off point.

But you go ahead if it makes you feel better.

Can we get back to Measure A now?
These two posts seem to contradict each other.

Another very ineffective debate technique. I think this one is called Changing Horses...

Followed by the Deflection - "can we get back to another topic..."

Actually, I guess you didn't specifically say I should smoke the medicinal marijuana.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 10,157,855 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
These two posts seem to contradict each other.

Another very ineffective debate technique. I think this one is called Changing Horses...

Followed by the Deflection - "can we get back to another topic..."

Actually, I guess you didn't specifically say I should smoke the medicinal marijuana.
Whatever. Twist it anyway you want.

I won't be replying to you in the future. You said in another thread you are disabled. I will take that as truth. I have no interest in a merry-go-round of accusations.

Be well and live happy in Redding or wherever.

Interesting that you know all these "technique's".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top