Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 04:53 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Not necessarily. The climate is extremely localized throughout SF, especially in the summertime.
Meh, it's still cold even on the warm side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 05:02 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
humid heat happens every year in August and September here in SoCal. Also 75 F lows arent so much "abnormal" as the SoCal coastal areas in summer typically get lows around 70 F.
This is just wrong. Average August low temperature (the warmest month) for San Diego Airport (1981-2010 normals) is 66.7. The airport is one of the warmer locales for nighttime lows.

Template:San Diego weatherbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The warmest low for the SD Airport this past August was 72, and this past August was warmer than average.

National Weather Service - Climate Data

Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Just a couple weeks ago was visiting down in the Ventura area, and coming from NorCal, I couldn't believe how humid it was as soon as you got even a block or two inland from the beach and ocean breezes!

Old 10-04-2014, 08:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It wasn't about the vast majority of us.
You just speak for yourself.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
these are official stations that dont lie.

huntington beach, torrance (saw 7 days of 70+ dewpoints this summer), PVP Peninsula is equally or more humid than SD.

74 dp in 80 F weather is fine. the coastal areas here also saw those dewpoints.
I'm not saying the stations lied, I'm saying you're lying! From your own post:
Quote:
Monday, September 2, 2013 Moisture
Dew Point 71 °F
What the hell did you get 80? Also
Quote:
Sunday, August 30, 1998 Moisture
Dew Point 67 °F
And just so we are clear on what you were saying, let's recap:
Quote:
Torrance hit 70 F dp around 7 times this summer, even inland areas got 70F dp during last weeks heatwave and remnants of tropical storm in July. Torrance also got an 81 F dew point last year

Weather History for Torrance, CA | Weather Underground

although 80F+ dp is uncommon it has happened in other locations too

Weather History for Santa Ana, CA | Weather Underground

other times it has gotten close to 80F dp

Weather History for Riverside, CA | Weather Underground

note these are official stations
Now I agree with you that it gets more humid in Socal than most people are willing to admit. However you disputed your own claim with your own links that it gets anywhere near 80 as a dew point. Even normally humid places don't get that high very often.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm not saying the stations lied, I'm saying you're lying! From your own post: What the hell did you get 80? Also And just so we are clear on what you were saying, let's recap: Now I agree with you that it gets more humid in Socal than most people are willing to admit. However you disputed your own claim with your own links that it gets anywhere near 80 as a dew point. Even normally humid places don't get that high very often.
Weather History for Torrance, CA | Weather Underground

81 F dew point there it is

The 71 F reason is the average dew point for the day it doesn't provide the high dp nor the low dp

Last edited by L.A.-Mex; 10-05-2014 at 02:26 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 02:23 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is just wrong. Average August low temperature (the warmest month) for San Diego Airport (1981-2010 normals) is 66.7. The airport is one of the warmer locales for nighttime lows.

Template:San Diego weatherbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The warmest low for the SD Airport this past August was 72, and this past August was warmer than average.

National Weather Service - Climate Data
Well San Diego is cooler than LA /OC beaches in general for example go to wundergrounf or accuweather and see the info for the area around Costa Mesa and Newport for this summer and past summers and you see that it is common I provided a post going back to 1980s showing this data with most years with max lows at or above mid 70s F I'm not going to post it again you can go to wunderground and check it out

Old 10-05-2014, 01:22 PM

306 posts, read 701,590 times
East coaster here and I agree. Yes, dealing with snow was always unpleasant in bad winters. But the relentless dry, scorching hot summers (and spring and fall) is not fun. I'd rather have a short winter than a seemingly endless summer. Spring and fall are my favorite seasons and they are practically skipped right over here. It never rains, never a cloud in the sky, always just hot, hot, hot.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
East coaster here and I agree. Yes, dealing with snow was always unpleasant in bad winters. But the relentless dry, scorching hot summers (and spring and fall) is not fun. I'd rather have a short winter than a seemingly endless summer. Spring and fall are my favorite seasons and they are practically skipped right over here. It never rains, never a cloud in the sky, always just hot, hot, hot.
Are you in SF, or somewhere over the hill like Walnut Creek? It is never hot for more than a day or two around the Bay. We don't get Winter here, you are right, but it's about three hours east of Walnut Creek in the Sierra.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Just a couple weeks ago was visiting down in the Ventura area, and coming from NorCal, I couldn't believe how humid it was as soon as you got even a block or two inland from the beach and ocean breezes!
Keep in mind that there was both a tropical storm churning off of Baja and it has been an uncharacteristically long and intense monsoon season for all of California--North and South. We didn't get the rainfall in the Bay Area from the monsoon all moisture a month or so ago, but do you recall how humid and sticky it was for a week or two? Even in relatively comfortable temps, it was a sweaty commute to and from work.

I was in Southern California two weeks ago and agree--it was pretty miserable, even near the beach. That was not normal, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California