Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:32 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
You really should cash in on your talking dog, Tule. I see a moneymaker!
You should hear him recite the The Rubáiyát. In Persian. Magical. Somehow no translation is needed. Bring tears of wonder and joy to your eyes. And put a song in your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Read the newspapers from the S F bay area or watch any news station from that area, someone is killed or shot at practically every day, just take your pick of a city in the bay area. I lived there for 32 years and know that the Humboldt bar region is no wheres near as dangerous as Oakland, Berkeley, San Jose or even San Francisco. As on poster said, the crimes for the most part here in Humboldt are petty crimes, not murder. I am not saying that we are crime free, just not the same kind of crime and less violent crimes and one murder 9 months ago does not represent the crime status of Eureka.
Well, that's if you don't count a violent crime rate that's nearly 50% higher than the national average, not to mention the little matter of a local priest murdered this year, right inside his own church.

Although you might have just hit on a catchy slogan there for tourism: "Eureka… not as bad as Oakland or L.A.!" After all, we don't wanna set the bar too, um "high"!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:47 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, that's if you don't count a violent crime rate that's nearly 50% higher than the national average, not to mention the little matter of a local priest murdered this year, right inside his own church.

Although you might have just hit on a catchy slogan there for tourism: "Eureka… not as bad as Oakland or L.A.!" After all, we don't wanna set the bar too, um "high"!
True, probably most crime in Eureka area is petty crimes or drug related crimes or crimes of people in poverty where as crimes in Bay Area like East Bay are more violent crimes due to gangs and crowded areas.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:03 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Ouch! That does sound like a real nightmare but I'd be careful about telling others what Humboldt county is really like. You'll soon see flocks of people moving up there to have what you're having. Isn't it nice to see the stars against the dark sky? Best thing about small town living.
We lack jobs up here, so if anything Humboldt may be good for retirement, but if one expects to find employment right off the bat, good luck. We also lack an industry, a railroad or reliable transportation. We are truly rural for the most part and only those that can tolerate our isolation tend to stay for the long haul. The county has only grown by a few thousand people in just 22 years.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:59 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I love Humboldt. And I never lock my doors anywhere up there. My dog doesn't like it when I lock him in. Says I am taking away his sporting opportunities.
You misinterpreted. He is trying to say you violated his 1st Amendment Hannitydog rights. He's been watching TV while you're out.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You misinterpreted. He is trying to say you violated his 1st Amendment Hannitydog rights. He's been watching TV while you're out.
You may be right. Although he often scoffs at the recurring rhubarbs over the Second Amendment. Something about "colmillo e colmillo" beats a gun for purist satisfaction every time.

We don't have tee-vee, so not sure where it's coming from. AM radio in the truck?

In any case, no problemo in Humboldt. We enjoy it up there immensely. Just not enough good sailing water, and not enough sunshine at the beach either.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You may be right. Although he often scoffs at the recurring rhubarbs over the Second Amendment. Something about "colmillo e colmillo" beats a gun for purist satisfaction every time.

We don't have tee-vee, so not sure where it's coming from. AM radio in the truck?

In any case, no problemo in Humboldt. We enjoy it up there immensely. Just not enough good sailing water, and not enough sunshine at the beach either.
We got a lot of sunshine at the beach this summer, our warmest summer and driest. Most days hit 70º and had more than a few that hit 80º to 87º, had 96º on May 15th and 90º last Friday and Saturday. I have clients that grew tomatoes in the open that successfully fruited and that is unheard of here. Back to crime in Eureka, its the county seat, has the county jail and courthouse. People incarcerated in the jail are released right there in the middle of town on 101. I have driven through most of Eureka and its suburbs, same with Arcata and McKinleyville and parts of the other communities surrounding Humboldt bay. A thing about the murders is they are often related to big marijuana sales that went out of control, such as a double murder just a week or so ago in Fieldbrook. But these are murder related crimes that are not something that is happening to the general population and these type of murders would not exist if pot were legal. But that is a different topic. Most of the crimes up here are petty car breakins, spousal abuse, drunken fights, not big time crime or robbery, though we have a local gas station on 101 that gets robbed at least twice a year. I think the op has something against Eureka and ignores the overall picture of the city. Any city with a major highway going through its town as the main highway route and thoroughfare encounters higher crime, its an easy get away. There is much beauty in Eureka, some of the most amazing victorian homes, not just the Carson mansion. Craftsman homes reach their ultimate here. And now that the pulp mill is gone, the stink is gone. In Eureka I would feel safe to walk around most any part of that town and if someone caused a confrontation, a good bark from me and they leave me alone, in Oakland and Berkeley I had a large American Staffordshire Terrier to back me up, I still did the barking, but he had the teeth.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
We got a lot of sunshine at the beach this summer, our warmest summer and driest. Most days hit 70º and had more than a few that hit 80º to 87º, had 96º on May 15th and 90º last Friday and Saturday. I have clients that grew tomatoes in the open that successfully fruited and that is unheard of here. Back to crime in Eureka, its the county seat, has the county jail and courthouse. People incarcerated in the jail are released right there in the middle of town on 101. I have driven through most of Eureka and its suburbs, same with Arcata and McKinleyville and parts of the other communities surrounding Humboldt bay. A thing about the murders is they are often related to big marijuana sales that went out of control, such as a double murder just a week or so ago in Fieldbrook. But these are murder related crimes that are not something that is happening to the general population and these type of murders would not exist if pot were legal. But that is a different topic. Most of the crimes up here are petty car breakins, spousal abuse, drunken fights, not big time crime or robbery, though we have a local gas station on 101 that gets robbed at least twice a year. I think the op has something against Eureka and ignores the overall picture of the city. Any city with a major highway going through its town as the main highway route and thoroughfare encounters higher crime, its an easy get away. There is much beauty in Eureka, some of the most amazing victorian homes, not just the Carson mansion. Craftsman homes reach their ultimate here. And now that the pulp mill is gone, the stink is gone. In Eureka I would feel safe to walk around most any part of that town and if someone caused a confrontation, a good bark from me and they leave me alone, in Oakland and Berkeley I had a large American Staffordshire Terrier to back me up, I still did the barking, but he had the teeth.
You're preaching to the choir here. I love it up there. If the bay was bigger, and the weather sunnier (this odd year doesn't fool me ), I'd be sorely tempted.

Then again I have an addiction to the City that goes back close to 50 years now.

And yeah, if marijuana was legal, boom, half the crime at least disappears on the spot. And the violent crime even more.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:29 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
^ ^ Since MJ is already so common there, as to be virtually 'legal' already, how to do you think officially legalizing it would drastically cut crime (especially violent crime, much of which seems connected to mental illness as well as drug abuse)?

Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ Since MJ is already so common there, as to be virtually 'legal' already, how to do you think officially legalizing it would drastically cut crime (especially violent crime, much of which seems connected to mental illness as well as drug abuse)?
I don't think it would, because it's the primary (some may say practically the only) economic engine for the County. No income=poverty. People get desperate, crime results. Voters there did vote overwhelmingly against legalization:

The Stoners' Paradise of Humboldt County Is Dreading Weed Legalization | VICE United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California