Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times

Advertisements

Vegas to LA makes sense and investors would invest because they are taking people to lose all their money and not shuttling around a bunch of low income people.

In the bay area BART CalTrain are used by the masses in So Cal, the poor use public transportation.

So why do I need to subsidize the poor getting to work faster..........I don't let them take the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Vegas to LA makes sense and investors would invest because they are taking people to lose all their money and not shuttling around a bunch of low income people.

In the bay area BART CalTrain are used by the masses in So Cal, the poor use public transportation.

So why do I need to subsidize the poor getting to work faster..........I don't let them take the bus.
You "don't let them"? Are you physically blocking the things in the morning?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You "don't let them"? Are you physically blocking the things in the morning?
Sorry typo I forgot the word care.........I don't care the poor have to take the bus My taxes already subsidize their rides.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:41 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Sorry typo I forgot the word care.........I don't care the poor have to take the bus My taxes already subsidize their rides.
Oh, ok, thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:02 AM

246 posts, read 230,313 times
No offense, but sadly how the CA govt. will ruin its high-speed rail system to go financially over budget upon completion within 20 years or beyond.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:18 PM

290 posts, read 544,209 times
Who are the Brown supporters that vote for these things? Do they read about the costs? Would it be a good idea to make economics and finance mandatory in CA schools? Do we have a population brain drain in California?

So the California high speed rail project was estimated around 34 billion which was already pretty outrageous. Proponents got chastised for condemning what they knew would be increasing costs and ever changing deadlines. Now it's estimated at 68 billion after they got you all to pass it. More than likely that number will double again once the project starts. The estimated deadlines are also folly. Unbelievable.

$68-billion California bullet train project likely to overshoot budget and deadline targets - LA Times

Old 10-25-2015, 06:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Another gigantic tax robbery for CA taxpayers is what I see.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hey! I know! Maybe we could build a high speed water delivery pipeline with little submarines inside that people could ride in from point to point! Win - win!

No?

I believe that idea is much more fun than a hurry up and stop bullet train. It could be a lot like the submarine ride at Disneyland!
Sounds like fun sign me up!

Also, I think a High-speed train from LA to Vegas makes great sense as well. Live in LV and take the train to work in LA. Low taxes in LV and beaches to enjoy in Southern California.

So many other possibilities instead of the boring train from SF to LA.

That Mega-Bus idea sounds pretty good as well. A bus with 400 person capacity with minimal stops and 150 mile per hour swoosh!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:35 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Few, if any forms of human economic activity involve higher initial costs and longer time horizons than infrastructural development; for better or for worse, the dirt is now flying. One redeeming feature is that this is happening in a place where some enduring economic benefit will arise sooner or later, but that's not going to mean much to those who are forking over the wherewithal, but aren't likely to be around long enough to see much of that benefit.

As a mountainous and densely-populated state, California is one of the relatively few places where the rail network was never overbuilt. The flat Midwest had multiple and competitive rail lines between most of its major cities, while the smaller "captive" communities which depended upon one carrier sometimes underwrote the competition via higher freight rates (this practice was eventually outlawed).

California was never served by more than four major rail carriers, and the development occurred late enough that the competitors either traded trackage among themselves, or worked out arrangements that allowed the sharing of trackage rights. The market was never saturated, new mileage (Palmdale to Colton via the "railfan" Mecca of Cajon Pass) was built as recently as the mid-1960's. The current, and increasing congestion over the "Tehachapi Loop" bottleneck is another opportunity.

The freight rail industry, which is down to seven major carriers in North America, has shifted its focus almost exclusively to the movement of specific commodities in large volumes; "retail railroading" is as dead as Olsen and Johnson. Thus, public/private sector co-operation is essential. Warren Buffet would love to see a new line between Bakersfield and the L.A. basin for his Burlington Northern Santa Fe, but he won't spring for building one so long as it can be de facto confiscated via re-regulation.

So development will continue, but only via the long, tedious and expensive process that always goes with politicization.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-25-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Talk about a boondoggle. How some still support the train is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California