Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it bother you that whites will only account for 26% of population in California by 2050?
yes 63 34.81%
no 118 65.19%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:54 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
^^^This, it's a constant question around here. It's terrifying for some. I don't understand why. When whites are a minority the rest of us promise to treat them with the same dignity and respect that they've shown us
You just lost some respect from me. I'm not "terrified" about this state having white people be the minority. You could've made this a positive thread. Yes, I'm a white guy. I'm also a born and raised Californian who has a white son born in this state. I couldn't care less about color...population increase, yes.

You didn't need to take it there. Not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Disingenuous 'outrage' is also "uncool". This is indeed a recurring topic here that's been hashed to death, including the frequent posting of no small amount of comments usually implying some sort of "racial" animus towards hispanics. Even though other immigrant populations are also growing here significantly, and certainly at a way faster rate than most other states.

And BTW, just a cursory search indicates that the kinda folks who get "offended" so easily by the very suggestion they're feeling 'threatened', often coincidentally also seem to have quite a bit of "interest" in the subject of "non-white immigrants" to begin with, so perhaps they protest "too much".

Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM

498 posts, read 977,651 times
Will it mean that whites get minority benefits in California if/when this comes to pass?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Disingenuous 'outrage' is also "uncool". This is indeed a recurring topic here that's been hashed to death, including the frequent posting of no small amount of comments usually implying some sort of "racial" animus towards hispanics. Even though other immigrant populations are also growing here significantly, and certainly at a way faster rate than most other states.

And BTW, just a cursory search indicates that the kinda folks who get "offended" so easily by the very suggestion they're feeling 'threatened', often coincidentally also seem to have quite a bit of "interest" in the subject of "non-white immigrants" to begin with, so perhaps they protest "too much".
right.

You got me figured out perfectly. The reality is, many posters here on this board have a passive-aggressive dislike for white people. They love to jump all over threads like this.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:23 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,062 times
Most of the posters on the CA board are old. In 2050, you all will be long gone so why does it matter?

Last edited by aboveordinary; 10-02-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
right.

You got me figured out perfectly. The reality is, many posters here on this board have a passive-aggressive dislike for white people. They love to jump all over threads like this.
That's strange, 'cuz I'm a 'white guy' myself (my 'furin-sounding' screen name notwithstanding). Although your POV kinda reminds me of one of those Stormfront billboards, "anti-racist is anti-white."

Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Caucasians don't have to remain a majority and likely won't. They built this country into the powerhouse it was on many levels but of course, that counts for nothing among those who can't or won't or don't want to see it and spend significant portions of their lives being resentful and whining.
Caucasians built this country into a powerhouse by exploiting slaves and later cheap, illegal immigrant labor. That trend isn't slowing down with the increasing Hispanic population, by the way.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Caucasians don't have to remain a majority and likely won't. They built this country into the powerhouse it was on many levels but of course, that counts for nothing among those who can't or won't or don't want to see it and spend significant portions of their lives being resentful and whining. As for the rest, see below.

The results of the poll are a foregone conclusion. Given the liberal leanings of the state, far too many whites are apologetic for the accident of birth that caused them to enter the world as Caucasians. I'll be eternally grateful that I never felt that way.

When the state goes brown, which inevitably it will, it will be interesting to see if it morphs into a complete extension of Mexico to include the drug cartels, savagery, graft and other forms of governmental corruption. Thankfully at my age, living until 2050 is not a likely option. There are indeed, some advantages to being old.
LMAO. THIS guy.

To the OP. There are already enough threads about how California is or will become a majority-minority state, why start a new one? The conversations will essentially be the same, and attract the typical posters (the blatant racists, the 'Im-not-racists-but-its-racist-that-you-think-im-racist racists', the people who dont give a damn and don't understand why you do, the demographic historians, the people who are tired of whitey, the realists who realize we have bigger issues to worry about like water etc).

This thread is essentially the same conversation, but with a different title: When Hispanics become majority of this state (mid-2014), will there be white flight?

Honestly, as a resident of California, my major concerns with population growth are 1)Water 2)Water 3)our environment 4)proper housing to accommodate the growth (they're currently mostly building luxury condos and apartments) 5) infrastructure (energy, public transportation and better preparation for natural disasters (fires, earthquakes)) 6) education (as it is, we are in a crisis) and 7) the disappearing middle class and rise of poverty.

As Californians, we should be much more concerned about all of the above than if the state will be a couple shades more brown (on average) in a couple decades.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:21 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
Bring em on...It's a big state.
Attached Thumbnails
California population to hit 60 million by 2050 - Whites a minority-meme_immigration.jpg  

Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
That's strange, 'cuz I'm a 'white guy' myself (my 'furin-sounding' screen name notwithstanding). Although your POV kinda reminds me of one of those Stormfront billboards, "anti-racist is anti-white."
Ok. ...you've definitely got me all figured out, Mr. Apologist White Guy who feels guilty for being white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California