Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,435 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

Reaching out for some local info on Northern California. My boyfriend and I are looking to move from Bend, Oregon to California at the end of May and we are looking for a city that would suit us. We're originally from Maine and are super laid back beings. We are 23 with a golden retriever. Hoping to be in the northern side of Cali. I'm a yoga teacher and would love to find a place interested in this with studios.

Important things to us:

local businesses
beaches
hiking/mountains
laid back, liberal, artsy
nightlife/downtown
younger crowd
non-trafficy
very walkable/bike-able

We have been exploring areas around SF, but are truly open to anything. We love the idea of being on the coast with the redwoods behind the cit. Looking for a hidden gem of a city with good people, good vibes and an awesome environment!

Any thoughts on Santa Cruz?

price range: one bedroom around $1000/month

Thank you all so much~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Eureka/Arcata area

Old 11-30-2014, 08:03 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,405 times
Santa Cruz is not exactly a "hidden gem" and it is also semi-commutable to Silicon Valley, so it is not cheap. I wouldn't say it's impossible to find a one-bedroom apartment for $1000/month, but you certainly won't find many. Not sure about the dog, but if the rental market in SC is anything like Silicon Valley's, owning a dog will exclude you from maybe 80-90% of all rentals.

I second the recommendation for Arcata. It has most of what you are looking for (maybe not beaches) and is much cheaper than Santa Cruz.

Then again, can't you find most of the items on your list without leaving Oregon - e.g. move to Portland or maybe Eugene? It would be helpful to know why you want to move to California. If you want more sunshine, then ignore the Arcata recommendation.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
I would agree with the prior two posters, Arcata, Eureka or McKinleyville would suit your needs, mountains are close by, beaches are not crowded and very little traffic. Santa Cruz and San Francisco you may as well be prepared for traffic all the time and $1000 a month is a joke there, but here you can find a two bedroom house for $1000 a month, with a yard to boot. Take a drive to here and on the way down to Santa Cruz, pick up real estate magazines on your way and compare the rates. But I still think Humboldt bay area suits your needs better.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I agree regarding Arcata/Eureka. And you should still find the weather better here than there. You won't have to deal with snow. Won't be as sunny as farther south, but won't get too hot or too cold, either.

Look for college/university towns to find a decent younger population. Santa Cruz is nice, but traffic is bad. You could also look at Monterey. But, I really think Arcata/Eureka area is best for your list.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I agree regarding Arcata/Eureka. And you should still find the weather better here than there. You won't have to deal with snow. Won't be as sunny as farther south, but won't get too hot or too cold, either.

Look for college/university towns to find a decent younger population. Santa Cruz is nice, but traffic is bad. You could also look at Monterey. But, I really think Arcata/Eureka area is best for your list.
Yes, I agree. Eureka based on what you've described or Monterey if you want warmer weather closer to the Bay area without the traffic. Santa Cruz has too much traffic and crowds.

Derek

Old 12-06-2014, 11:54 AM

726 posts, read 1,369,072 times
Your rental budget will almost certainly preclude either the Santa Cruz or Monterey vicinity, although otherwise these communities might be perfect... that is unless you want a house share situation, and even then you would need a bit of luck.

Humboldt county might work but you will still have serious issues with finding a place with your dog. If you added another $200-$400 dollars a month to your rental budget, you'd have more options in Humboldt... you're on the lower end of the range for nice/decent places that will actually accept a pet. Be prepared to pay a whopping deposit. Also, don't plan to arrive in Humboldt without a place to rent and planning to stay in a hotel/motels until you find one as very few will accept pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California