Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:09 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
My mistake. However nice that is im sure most of the rest of their classmates are waiting tables.
I wouldn't say that about CSU Fullerton. For CSU Dominguez Hills, some of them probably settled for jobs making less than what they wanted.

Depends where you want to live, how much you want to make, and what you want to do.

I went for the jobs where I wanted to live first and then doing what I wanted to do second and money came last. I decided I could live without trips outside the USA, luxury cars and luxury clothes, and be content with less but what I couldn't do without was a job where I was working more than 50 hrs (which in all business related job you will do) and I wanted to live near the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 PM

366 posts, read 452,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I wouldn't say that about CSU Fullerton. For CSU Dominguez Hills, some of them probably settled for jobs making less than what they wanted.

Depends where you want to live, how much you want to make, and what you want to do.

I went for the jobs where I wanted to live first and then doing what I wanted to do second and money came last. I decided I could live without trips outside the USA, luxury cars and luxury clothes, and be content with less but what I couldn't do without was a job where I was working more than 50 hrs (which in all business related job you will do) and I wanted to live near the beach.
I just want a comfortable suburban lifestyle while living at home and saving half my income every month.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:16 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
im sure most of the rest of their classmates are waiting tables.
Pretty tough talk from someone who doesn't even have a degree yet. LOL.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
Pretty tough talk from someone who doesn't even have a degree yet. LOL.
I know a lot of graduates who rushed into this **** economy who are still underemployed (That's part of the reason I've been slow).

Old 10-10-2014, 04:39 PM

bump

Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
you should visit the campuses you are interested in. I visited Pomona and Davis and didn't like them.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:37 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
One of my kids is in a similar situation. He didn't take HS seriously and failed to get his foreign language requirement. I forced him to take classes at the local CC while he was working a retail job and then, when he was about 21, he got serious about school. Super smart guy, but like everyone has his issues and school (and slacker friends) were his. Now he got his AA and met all his transfer requirements, but he messed something up on his transfer application and had to wait another year and take one more classs..so I knew I wouldn't be paying $$ to send him anywhere, he's not reliable enough.

Now he is at CSU East Bay because can drive there while living at home. He might transfer to San Jose State because he thinks it's better, but then again he might not. The clock is ticking and he's 24, almost a senior, and currently on the quarter system so transferring would set him back.

Don't put it off. Plenty of adults go to night school or other special programs to get their degrees later in life because stuff happens and not everyone get on the same track in high school.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:39 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
Go to UC Santa Cruz.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
One of my kids is in a similar situation. He didn't take HS seriously and failed to get his foreign language requirement. I forced him to take classes at the local CC while he was working a retail job and then, when he was about 21, he got serious about school. Super smart guy, but like everyone has his issues and school (and slacker friends) were his. Now he got his AA and met all his transfer requirements, but he messed something up on his transfer application and had to wait another year and take one more classs..so I knew I wouldn't be paying $$ to send him anywhere, he's not reliable enough.

Now he is at CSU East Bay because can drive there while living at home. He might transfer to San Jose State because he thinks it's better, but then again he might not. The clock is ticking and he's 24, almost a senior, and currently on the quarter system so transferring would set him back.

Don't put it off. Plenty of adults go to night school or other special programs to get their degrees later in life because stuff happens and not everyone get on the same track in high school.
Glad I have white collar experience as a property manager.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM

213 posts, read 252,476 times
You're 23 and went through 4 years of undergraduate school with no end in sight? What the heck are you doing in college? Do you want a degree or not? (Clearly you don't have a plan here...) Just saying "business school" isn't going to get you a bachelors.

Buckle up, apply to a CSU or a lower tier UC. Power through it in 2 years. Get a degree, start looking for a job. I mean, for gods sake you're 23 and nowhere near a degree.

Or go into a technical school and become an electrician/plumber/carpenter. Those pay pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California