Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 PM

23 posts, read 334,696 times

Advertisements

Our dream is to own a home in Yosemite but it's way too pricey. Lake Tahoe wouldn't be bad either. Mainly we love the mountain vistas, tall pines and being able to hike my butt off without driving more than 10-15 minutes. We am looking for an "affordable" cabin that we can use to get away and as a vacation rental. I found some very small homes around Tahoe for the mid-$200s. Is this possible?? We don't need anything fancy--just 2 bedrooms and a few supply stores nearby. Any suggestions on areas or towns to begin our search? (We would also consider land so we could build an environmentally friendly cabin.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
There are plenty of areas in N. Calif that might work. The mountians around Burney, Susanville, Westwood, Chester, Greenville, Quincy, Fall River Mills, etc might be an option. Closer to the Oregon border is also less expensive.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 AM

22 posts, read 117,604 times
What about something between Yosemite and Fresno? There are some great mountain towns with cabins, lakes, clean air!!! The views are incredible, the prices are good, and you aren't too far from towns where you could go to do your grocery shopping, etc.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 AM

I've been around Oakhurst but seems more like the foothills. We were in Bass Lake last week but again, I don't consider it mountainous and it's a 30 minute drive to the upper elevations. Can you be more specific about some actual town names?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 AM

22 posts, read 117,604 times
Have you ever been to Three Rivers? That's a great place. It is very desirable, and the prices have come down considerably. Closer to Yosemite there is Fish Camp, also Coarsegold is more in the foothills but you can get a cabin, with pine trees, on an acre, for less than $300,000. Also in Auberry, there are some that are about 1000 s.f. for under $200,000.

In Mariposa there is a foreclosure home, 1300 s.f. on five acres for $259,000. If you want to see some with pics and details, I can send them to you. I think if you go to my name, you can send me an e-mail and I will reply with some stuff for you to look at. Its pretty fun!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Arnold or Dorrington in Calaveras County, Dorrington is probably more the place for you. About 5K elevation, 2 hours to Yosemite, 2 hours to Tahoe 1/2 hour to skiing (x/c and downhill) at Bear Valley in the winter, a couple of small cabins in the <250K range currently for sale.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
Two more properties have come on the market in our valley which may interest you. One is a junk house on 5 acres for 385,000, about what the land is worth. Another is 18 acres with some structures that have been lived in but not considered a legal house, for about 499,000 I think,
homesale
If you look at the photo on this page it will show you our valley, just north of Truckee, just east of the Pacific Crest Trail. Just north of the Tahoe Rim Trail. And close to the best hiking in the country, Nevada.

Our home seems to be out of your price range, but it is paradise.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Two more properties have come on the market in our valley which may interest you. One is a junk house on 5 acres for 385,000, about what the land is worth. Another is 18 acres with some structures that have been lived in but not considered a legal house, for about 499,000 I think,
homesale
If you look at the photo on this page it will show you our valley, just north of Truckee, just east of the Pacific Crest Trail. Just north of the Tahoe Rim Trail. And close to the best hiking in the country, Nevada.

Our home seems to be out of your price range, but it is paradise.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 PM

I liked the look of Arnold and Dorrington, and I found some cabins in the $200,000s. How far from real high-country hiking are you from there? It seems like the ski resorts are another 25 miles higher. Are there towns up at that elevation with cabins? I want to get as high an elevation as possible in my budget.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:08 PM

The land along the crest at Ebbets Pass is relatively un "high country" like. The ridges are volcanic with deep valleys. Cattle graze extensively in Carson Iceberg and Mokelumne wildernesses.

There is one ski area up the road, Bear Valley. There are cabins at Bear Valley to purchase or rent. The road in the subdivision is not plowed in the winter, so a snomo is pretty necessary.

The County is Alpine County, since you cannot drive over Ebbetts in the winter a trip to the county seat at Markleeville, neccesitates a trip down to 49 up to 88, and across and Kirkwood, about a 4 hour trip in the winter.

If it is "real high country hiking" you want you really want to walk from Sonora Pass Southwards.

Just remember, it is California, you won't be alone for very long anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California