Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Interesting chart. Other than Oregon and Nevada (or more specifically Portland and Vegas) all of the "high inbound" states are very conservative, i.e traditional family values, low taxes, inexpensive real estate.

Some food for thought.
That's a very good point. I'm glad you pointed it out.
Definitely something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM

12 posts, read 81,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
I am in the position of living in 2 states: my native California and recently, southern New Mexico. My husband, who is also a native Californian, also looks forward to when we can return to our beautiful state. Traffic on the freeways is waaaay down due to so many leaving; last time I was on the 118 to the 210 I counted 25 cars on the freeway. The 101 to the 405 is a breeze although still some slowness through the Valley by Topanga & Warner exits. In OC, Jamboree is nothing like it used to be-not too busy at all - even at the McArthur intersection. 101N to Santa Barbara to SLO is like it was 20 years ago.
Interesting perspective -- however I find this hard to believe. I am currently living in Orange County and I can tell you that as of 2008 traffic along any of the major freeway arteries into greater L.A. is still a nightmare. I should also emphasize that traffic in the Valley (118, 210, Topanga Pass) is particularly bad and one should expect a bottleneck there at any given time of the day. You can check online real-time traffic reports to see for yourselves.

Although people are defecting from California, there are still more people coming here than they are leaving, so if you do the math, you can see why freeway traffic is going to get worst before it gets any better

Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrun View Post
Interesting perspective -- however I find this hard to believe. I am currently living in Orange County and I can tell you that as of 2008 traffic along any of the major freeway arteries into greater L.A. is still a nightmare. I should also emphasize that traffic in the Valley (118, 210, Topanga Pass) is particularly bad and one should expect a bottleneck there at any given time of the day. You can check online real-time traffic reports to see for yourselves.

Although people are defecting from California, there are still more people coming here than they are leaving, so if you do the math, you can see why freeway traffic is going to get worst before it gets any better
We just left Irvine, CA for Keller, TX last November and unless things have changed drastically since we left someone is telling fibs about the traffic.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 AM

50 posts, read 146,501 times
I am moving to Chattanooga Tennessee in a month and I currently live in Olympia Washington. I would never move back to California.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:09 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Currently in Seattle.

Lived in the Bay Area for a few years and Mendocino county for 10 years. Left California in 1985 and moved to Texas. Broiled alive in Texas for 15 years then bought a farm in Spokane WA. Sold the farm and moved to Moscow, Russia for 5 years. Came back to the US in March and landed in Seattle.

I loved California in the old days but I don't love it any more. I didn't love Texas and I'm not in love with Seattle either.

Where do I love most? Rhodos, Greece. Maybe Crete. My dream is to make enough money buy a little hovel in Greece and stay there forever and ever. Greeks rock.

The Czech Republic is wunderbar too, love Czech. Estonia is a gem of a little country. Once you get out of America there are a whole lot of nicer places to live. Unfortunately, this not a free world an you can't just set up residence in any old place you'd like. Wish I were an EU passport holder. *sigh*

Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Currently in Seattle.

Lived in the Bay Area for a few years and Mendocino county for 10 years. Left California in 1985 and moved to Texas. Broiled alive in Texas for 15 years then bought a farm in Spokane WA. Sold the farm and moved to Moscow, Russia for 5 years. Came back to the US in March and landed in Seattle.

I loved California in the old days but I don't love it any more. I didn't love Texas and I'm not in love with Seattle either.

Where do I love most? Rhodos, Greece. Maybe Crete. My dream is to make enough money buy a little hovel in Greece and stay there forever and ever. Greeks rock.

The Czech Republic is wunderbar too, love Czech. Estonia is a gem of a little country. Once you get out of America there are a whole lot of nicer places to live. Unfortunately, this not a free world an you can't just set up residence in any old place you'd like. Wish I were an EU passport holder. *sigh*
Wow! What a fascinating journey. How much are "hovels" in Greece going for these days? Can a U.S. citizen buy one? Why are you back in Seattle? Where are you going next? Don't mind all my questions. I'm just living vicariously...

Last edited by laysayfair; 05-22-2008 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-22-2008, 12:51 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Currently in Seattle.

Boy I envy you. It must have been wonderful to see the world. I have a close friend that goes over to Europe for 6 weeks every year. He has seen most of Europe, I guess. We have such a narrow view of the world here in the US, extensive travel must be a real eye opener.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Wow! What a fascinating journey. How much are "hovels" in Greece going for these days? Can a U.S. citizen buy one? Why are you back in Seattle? Where are you going next? Don't mind all my questions. I'm just living vicariously...
I had a few conversations with locals, and a small maybe 2 or 3 room place, in a village in Crete might be had for 40 to 50 thousand Euro. So today that's about 75k US. Crete is less expensive than a lot of other places in Greece. Yeah, we're not talking about any kind of upscale foreigner retirement development, just a little place with a roof and water and electricity.

Americans would howl though. If my gallon-to-liter and Euro-to-dollar conversions are correctish, gas on Greek islands is about $9 per gallon. Everybody has little scooters or rides the bus or walks.

I think we'll be in Seattle for at least 5 years. Might stay forever. Might not. I'd rather not.

It's not so hard to retire overseas. Many countries have special "retirement visas" which allow people who will not be working in the local economy and who have some kind of verifiable dependable income, to live in these countries. Many countries allow foreigners to own property.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
We're near Seattle, but we can't wait to get back to CA. 3 more years.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 PM

21 posts, read 58,608 times
From Alameda to Toronto, Ontario to go to Film School... Back to California next year... Toronto is great, but I think I prefer the weather in California :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California