Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 9,887 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting a job offer from Apple. That means moving my 7 kids, 9months to 13 years. We are currently in a 2600 sq ft home with almost 1 acre. I have been reading up on some cities and now more confused. I am looking for good schools, low crime area, and not too expensive homes. And any other helpful tips would be very welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 02:20 PM

764 posts, read 2,035,942 times
Do you mean the Cupertino campus?

Old 10-11-2014, 03:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,183 times
Try posting this in the San Jose forum for more responses. Cupertino is in the San Jose area.

If you want more responses, you need to include your budget/income as well. The San Jose area is expensive and if you're still expecting to live on a property that is close to an acre, expect to pay $$$ and have a long
commute.

There are many of us lifelong residents who also are looking for what you are and can't afford it. You will probably have to lower your expectations unless Apple is offering a very generous moving allowance and pay increase.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Agree. Need to know what city your hubby will be working in and how long of a commute he's willing to do - think time-wise, not distance. And what will your budget be for housing?

Do look around on Craigslist, too, so you have an idea of what's realistic. Do a search for the town he'll be working in, and surrounding towns.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:59 PM

If my husband was to do about a one hour commute from his work in Cupertino, where would that put us? What type of prices for a house would I be looking at, for a 2600 to 3000 sq ft home. Not sure of our budget.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:09 PM

The prices vary so much there's no way to say. You'll just have to get on the internet and start looking. I like the redfin.com website for houses to buy, Craigslist for rentals.

Then use Google maps to look at commute times.

Cupertino has fantastic schools, but is very expensive. But, start with your search there, and see if you can afford it.

If not, start branching out. Surrounding towns are pretty safe with pretty good schools, including: Sunnyvale, Santa Clara (pretty much no bad neighborhoods in these towns). Campbell (mostly good). San Jose (lots of sketchy neighborhoods, but good ones, too). You could even look out as far as Scotts Valley where you might get a place with acreage.

But, nobody can give you better info without a budget.

So, start looking in Cupertino. Short commute, best schools. If you can afford it, don't look any farther.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisap1999 View Post
If my husband was to do about a one hour commute from his work in Cupertino, where would that put us? What type of prices for a house would I be looking at, for a 2600 to 3000 sq ft home. Not sure of our budget.
Check out Morgan Hill, San Martin and Gilroy first. Morgan Hill is directly south of San Jose and is a combination of rural/suburban living. You can find a somewhat limited supply of large homes on large lots that you wouldn't find in many other parts of the Bay Area. I personally like Morgan Hill. It has a decent amount of amenities as well, considering its size.

San Martin is an unincorporated Santa Clara County community sandwiched between MH and Gilroy and has many large estates. I'm not sure how the school zoning is determined there.

Gilroy is further south and is overall not as nice as Morgan Hill but is generally cheaper. The commute is also longer to San Jose. Morgan Hill has better schools than Gilroy and I personally find MH to be a generally nicer town than Gilroy.

If you want to go even farther to Hollister (San Benito County south of Gilroy) you'll find even cheaper prices, but the schools aren't the best and commuting is definitely not fun to San Jose. Many people do commute to SJ from there though.

If you're set on a large home on a large lot, you can also consider cities like Tracy, Lathrop and Manteca. These are directly east of the Bay Area in San Joaquin County. The commute would be an absolute nightmare, but MANY people commute to the Bay Area from these cities for work. I personally wouldn't do it, but for many people the lower cost of living is worth it. These are exurbs that are filled with many former Bay Area residents who couldn't afford to buy or rent in the immediate Bay Area. I know quite a few people in this position. I personally wouldn't do it but it could be an option for you.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:34 PM

Before you go so far as Tracy, look at Concord. Safe, reasonably affordable, decent schools. But, the commute would be a nighmare.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Before you go so far as Tracy, look at Concord. Safe, reasonably affordable, decent schools. But, the commute would be a nighmare.
I agree. I was just considering "large home on large lot" which is hard to find in Concord...also the central valley towns I mentioned are generally nicer and safer. The commute would definitely be worse though, although not by much.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:44 PM

Thank you all so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California