Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

Im a 18-year-old boy from Denmark. After I have graduated from college here in Denmark, in about 2 years, my biggest dream is to experience America. I have the choice of a school in San Francisco, Fishermans Wharf or Redondo beach close to Los Angeles?
Obviously, I am considering what to those to get the ultimate experience??

First of all.. How close is Redondo Beach to Los Angeles? I will be turning 21 while in America, so i would like to know which city offers the best clubs? Which city offers the best dating scene? - Im straight by the way and all the time consider how close Redondo Beach is to Los Angeles.

I would like to know which city offers the most beaty? - both in as well as outside of the city. which has the most outgoing and open people? Which have most things to do, see and experience?

All in all. Just fill me in since I will be staying there for a year and wish for the greatest experience of my life. What you think I should know might also be of importance

Just a little side-question.. How big is the percentage of homoseksuals in San Francisco? Because my freinds have been teasing me with some ridiculous rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Hi: Go Redondo Beach. That's my opinion.

San Francisco is really interesting, but expensive and too "self-regarding." It seems that with all that water and the bridges, partaking in nightlife elsewhere in the Bay Area might be difficult. I don't care much about nightlife as I am older than you, but I don't know how one goes about hopping over to Berkeley or Oakland to go clubbing and whether they would or not.

It's easier to do in Los Angeles. It has a long coastline and no bridges to cross. You would just go to Santa Monica or Westwood or Long Beach or the Marina or Venice and park your car. I feel much more at home in LA than I do in SF. It's more relaxed and it's less granola. There's way more granola types in the Bay Area and they can get annoying (appear to be very concerned about environmental and social issues, but are really more marginalized than anything else because of their oddness).

SF has a large gay population and a burgeoning Chinese community. I think the gay population is huge in the city proper (maybe as high as 25% of the inhabitants) and don't know how prevalent it is in the whole metro area but the Chinese community is large throughout the entire extended Metro area and some don't appear to be very assimilated yet. I consider myself open minded but see that a lot of non-diversified immigration is polarizing communities instead of making them rich melting pots the way it used to be. The street I grew up on in California was a true kaleidoscope. You see that less now. It's sad.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
SF is just plain better. Sorry Redondo Beach you have your charms, I should know, I used to live down there, but vis a vis, SF really is in another league.

Dont let your friends ignorance allow to make a huge mistake.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 31,916 times
Definitely SF.
I've lived in Redondo, and spent significant time in both SF and Denmark. My recommendation is live in SF and visit Redondo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California