Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would be harder for a coastal Southern Californian to adjust to?
Seattle's long, gloomy, rainy, sunless winters and pleasant summers 31 57.41%
Miami's steamy, hot, humid, stormy summers and pleasant winters. 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:44 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're the one that's arguing. I am willing to bet that if you took a survey of Californians who moved to Seattle over Miami, which would have a higher number of people who stayed?

Anyway, with that being said, it does depend on the person to a large degree. Think of it this way; if you were not at all bothered by the heat and stifling humidity we had at the end of summer in Socal recently and if you could remember the hottest and most humid day and imaging it being that way for 8 or 9 months and all you can think to say is eh, then Miami might work for you.

On the other hand, if you can remember our last coldest, I mean coldest for Socal rainy day that was also very gloomy and imagine it being like that for 8 or 9 months straight with only occasional sunny days which are still chilly thrown in and this does not phase you, then Seattle would work for you.

The other thing to consider is how much of a shock you're also willing to tolerate. Like Bayareahillbilly said, Seattle's climate is perhaps our closest climatic neighbor as it too has mild to warm summers with little precipitation. Miami's climate is a whole continent away both physically and figuratively.
This thread is about weather. People that leave Miami aren't leaving primarily because of the weather. They leave because of all the other problems. People that leave Seattle on the other hand, primarily leave because of the weather. If Miami had the same demographics as Seattle, It would be paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
So let us know when you figure out how to live in Miami and still ignore all those "other problems" (including the weather, BTW…lol)!

Miami Tops 'Forbes' List of Most Miserable Cities in U.S.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
If Miami had the same demographics as Seattle, It would be paradise.
If a toad had wings it wouldn't bump its butt every time it hopped.
If if if if if if if if if etc.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
This thread is about weather. People that leave Miami aren't leaving primarily because of the weather. They leave because of all the other problems. People that leave Seattle on the other hand, primarily leave because of the weather. If Miami had the same demographics as Seattle, It would be paradise.
No sh*t this thread's about weather. My response also wasn't about why people leave Miami. It was about what a Socal or California native in general should expect if they decide to move ot either city. Try reading the entire post next time.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No sh*t this thread's about weather. My response was about why people leave Miami. It was about what a Socal or California native in general shouldn't expect if they decide to not move to either city. Try reading the entire post next time.

k

Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
In order to make people forget about the other problems living in Miami or wherever, let's imagine this scenario:

You win $100 MILLION DOLLARS under the condition you'll only get this money if you relocate to either Seattle or Miami.
You have enough money to live in the richest, poshest parts of town in a mega mansion in a gated community with other mega-rich people.

Would you:

A) Move to that mega mansion in that extremely rich community in Seattle
B) Move to that mega mansion in that extremely rich community in Miami
C) Turn down that money and live with you currently have in California.

I would choose a mega mansion on Miami's South Beach and enjoy the beach and watersports year round. If it's too hot or humid, I would never run out of things to do in my AC mansion with a full 3-D movie theater and state-of-the-art immersive experience gaming systems. I would also have my own private jet to evacuate in the event of a hurricane . If I choose Seattle, the gloom would keep me depressed from September through May despite all those amenities that unlimited finances could buy.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 10-15-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
In order to make people forget about the other problems living in Miami or wherever, let's imagine this scenario:

You win $100 MILLION DOLLARS under the condition you'll only get this money if you relocate to either Seattle or Miami.
You have enough money to live in the richest, poshest parts of town in a mega mansion in a gated community with other mega-rich people.

Would you:

A) Move to that mega mansion in that extremely rich community in Seattle
B) Move to that mega mansion in that extremely rich community in Miami
C) Turn down that money and live with you currently have in California.

I would choose a mega mansion on Miami's South Beach and enjoy the beach and watersports year round. If it's too hot or humid, I would never run out of things to do in my AC mansion with a full 3-D movie theater and gaming systems. I would also have my own private jet to evacuate in the event of a hurricane . If I choose Seattle, the gloom would keep me depressed from September through May despite all those amenities that unlimited finances could buy.
Like some of us have said, depends on ther person. I personally get depressed and very irritable when it's hot all the time. I don't like heat at all. If Seatle does get too cold for me, I would have lots to keep me entertained the same way in my mega million mansion too.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Um, does that also include having private around-the-clock armed body guards?

Ray Allen's Miami Mansion Suffers HOME INVASION While His Wife And Kids Were Inside Sleeping

Woman Killed In Miami Beach Home Invasion

Miami Herald: South Beach is no tropical paradise for cops

Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times

Yes located here; Star Island (Miami Beach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, I'd choose a home in Hollywood Hills over Star Island but for this thread, Star Island beats any place in the Seattle metro area, even Bill Gate's mansion!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
And none of what $100 buys beats my little boat in the Bay. I'm staying put. Y'all enjoy your money and living next to Scrooge McDuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California