Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would be harder for a coastal Southern Californian to adjust to?
Seattle's long, gloomy, rainy, sunless winters and pleasant summers 31 57.41%
Miami's steamy, hot, humid, stormy summers and pleasant winters. 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:08 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,400,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Yes located here; Star Island (Miami Beach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, I'd choose a home in Hollywood Hills over Star Island but for this thread, Star Island beats any place in the Seattle metro area, even Bill Gate's mansion!
How do you figure, when you could easily fit 3 of the largest homes on Star Island inside Bill Gate's place (and still have room for those Miami bodyguards…lol)!

BTW, if Florida's so great, what's keeping you here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,151,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
How do you figure, when you could easily fit 3 of the largest homes on Star Island inside Bill Gate's place (and still have room for those Miami bodyguards…lol)!

BTW, if Florida's so great, what's keeping you here?
Southern California trumps Florida anyday but I'm really interested in weather/climate and wondering where in the U.S. I'd choose if I couldn't live in California or Hawaii. I'm a sun worshipper and I don't like cold and snow (unless its in the mountains lol) or prolonged days of overcast. I also wish Southern California would get more rain but not at the expense of sunshine. I'd rather see it rain hard for a few hours and then get sunny afterwards. In reality, the best climate for me would probably be Sydney, Australia (Similar temperatures and sunshine levels to L.A with seasons in reverse but a lot more rain) but I'm thinking in the U.S. terms.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:51 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Southern California trumps Florida anyday but I'm really interested in weather/climate and wondering where in the U.S. I'd choose if I couldn't live in California or Hawaii. I'm a sun worshipper and I don't like cold and snow (unless its in the mountains lol) or prolonged days of overcast. I also wish Southern California would get more rain but not at the expense of sunshine. I'd rather see it rain hard for a few hours and then get sunny afterwards. In reality, the best climate for me would probably be Sydney, Australia (Similar temperatures and sunshine levels to L.A with seasons in reverse but a lot more rain) but I'm thinking in the U.S. terms.
For you, some place in the San Francisco Bay Area in the US. It gets more rain but is sunnier than Seattle. It's somewhat cooler but not too cold. You can't have your cake and eat it too unfortunately so if this isn't good enough, you may want to consider Sydney.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:02 AM

ould
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
For you, some place in the San Francisco Bay Area in the US. It gets more rain but is sunnier than Seattle. It's somewhat cooler but not too cold. You can't have your cake and eat it too unfortunately so if this isn't good enough, you may want to consider Sydney.
I don't like the chilly summers on the coast with constant wind and fog. Even when San Francisco or Monterey gets a rare sunny and hot day, the water is still too cold to swim in. The inland communities in the East Bay that get HOT on summer days also get cold at night and the humidity is too low (20 percent with highs in the 90s and lows in the 50s while I prefer 50 percent humidity with highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s). There aren't any parts of the Bay Area that have average highs above 60 at night in summer. Winters there are often overcast and drizzly throughout the Bay Area (weeks on the end some winters) and they don't even get a taste of the monsoons. I prefer a winter pattern of 1-2 days of rain followed by 3-5 days of clear skies. I believe all of the Bay Area gets less than 60 percent sunshine in midwinter on the average. I also like an occasional spring/summer/fall thunderstorm and the SF Bay gets even fewer than the L.A area. Sydney gets those summer showers on mostly sunny and warm summer days and those cool wintry rains that L.A. gets but it's sunny the next day (just like it is in L.A.).

On the West Coast, you have to sarcrifice warmth and sunshine to get enough rain. If you want year round warmth and enough rain, you have to put up with stiffling heat, humidity, and hurricanes in the deep South. It's not the case in Australia.

Don't get me wrong: I love California but with the COL, high taxes, drought, and strain on water supply, as well as concerns of the economic future, I'm thinking of other alternatives. Plus it would be nice to look at greenery rather than "brownery" out in nature and still enjoying year round sun and comfortably warm weather in the process.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 10-16-2014 at 01:16 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 01:51 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
ould

I don't like the chilly summers on the coast with constant wind and fog. Even when San Francisco or Monterey gets a rare sunny and hot day, the water is still too cold to swim in. The inland communities in the East Bay that get HOT on summer days also get cold at night and the humidity is too low (20 percent with highs in the 90s and lows in the 50s while I prefer 50 percent humidity with highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s). There aren't any parts of the Bay Area that have average highs above 60 at night in summer. Winters there are often overcast and drizzly throughout the Bay Area (weeks on the end some winters) and they don't even get a taste of the monsoons. I prefer a winter pattern of 1-2 days of rain followed by 3-5 days of clear skies. I believe all of the Bay Area gets less than 60 percent sunshine in midwinter on the average. I also like an occasional spring/summer/fall thunderstorm and the SF Bay gets even fewer than the L.A area. Sydney gets those summer showers on mostly sunny and warm summer days and those cool wintry rains that L.A. gets but it's sunny the next day (just like it is in L.A.).

On the West Coast, you have to sarcrifice warmth and sunshine to get enough rain. If you want year round warmth and enough rain, you have to put up with stiffling heat, humidity, and hurricanes in the deep South. It's not the case in Australia.

Don't get me wrong: I love California but with the COL, high taxes, drought, and strain on water supply, as well as concerns of the economic future, I'm thinking of other alternatives. Plus it would be nice to look at greenery rather than "brownery" out in nature and still enjoying year round sun and comfortably warm weather in the process.
Yeah, if you move strictly for climate, the US is pretty much not an option for you. Bay Area during normal, not the last few winters tends to be cool and often wet. I like it like that personally. Screw the monsoon. I too thought I would love it until I found out that it comes with stifling humidity which I very much hate.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,058,565 times
Quote:
Yes located here; Star Island (Miami Beach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, I'd choose a home in Hollywood Hills over Star Island but for this thread, Star Island beats any place in the Seattle metro area, even Bill Gate's mansion!
For you, yes. I know that my husband and I would be miserable there. We're those weirdos who want to live in the UP and have almost 200 inches of snow a year. (I don't know how considering where we grew up.)

Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 PM

6,399 posts, read 8,222,437 times
I could honestly live in either, but I wouldn't be crazy about it. I guess I'd choose Seattle over Miami as it's more in line with my values, but the weather in both places isn't THAT bad. Midwest/NE weather is some of the worst in the world, outside of Siberia.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times
Interesting discussion, as I might consider a move to Seattle in the near future.

One of the reasons was the brutal heat this summer in So Cal and humidity too. So no way Miami, plus jobs pay crap in FL.

Seattle has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation and esp for techies like me.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah, if you move strictly for climate, the US is pretty much not an option for you. Bay Area during normal, not the last few winters tends to be cool and often wet. I like it like that personally. Screw the monsoon. I too thought I would love it until I found out that it comes with stifling humidity which I very much hate.
Monsoons are actually kind of fun for me. I love those hot beach days, balmy evenings and occasional warm rain showers. I've done a cruise in the Caribbean starting from Miami (this was in May) and it's perfect relaxation/beach/pool weather. I've also vacationed in Hawaii several times and spent a week in D.C. in June. So I know I don't mind the humidity for short stretches but living with it for months on the end might be different.

I also don't mind our L.A. cool rain in winter because it's a refreshing change of pace and I know the sun will come out after the front passes and make for excellent air quality and visibility for several days afterwards. From what I have seen, the Bay Area still stays cloudy/foggy often in winter on non-rainy days.

I wish I could create a hybrid climate of L.A winters (average winters and not drought ones) and Boston summers (still gets some humidity, warm rain and thunderstorms, but also lots of clear, comfortable, and not so humid days as well). Still very comfortable weather year round, lots of sunshine, lush and green, enough rain, and no water shortages or wildfire issues.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HessenGmB View Post
Having lived in all three spots...easy call. Better for a SCa person in Miami, not just weather but culturally as well. Seattle is white-bread-central - Miami, not so much.
Seattle does a substantial Asian population which is something Miami is lacking. It also has way better Asian restaurants (Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, you name it!) than Miami both in terms of quantity and quality. Being of Asian decent, I'd probably "fit in" better in Seattle as well. That's the only one thing I'd consider a positive about that place. Still for me, weather trumps food and having neighbors that look more like me. I'm a second generation and pretty assimilated anyway with only rudimentary knowledge of Cantonese. Studied Spanish for 4 years in high school and would love to practice it more often anyway. Maybe if I was a first generation immigrant, having a nearby Asian community would be more of a factor.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 10-19-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California