Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM

264 posts, read 413,873 times

Advertisements

What is this alternative method of calculation they are referring to?

*Nevermind looked it up -- takes in account of low income assistance programs by state governments, also uses regional price parities. Of course CA costs more than NM.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/povmeas/.../research.html

Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
The proof is that California is now #1 in having the most people in poverty per capita.

It's pretty obvious that undocumented immigrants, unskilled, unemployed, underemployed, and uneducated people are drawn to California.
It's pretty obvious to people who don't think through the issue, I suppose.

To intelligent, informed people, however, the real obvious truth is that ALL kinds of people are attracted to California. Were you to reseach demographics, you would find an extraordinary community of scholars, entrepreneurs, educators, artists, innovators and developers of all kinds, exceptional financial investors and managers, and so forth.

The fact that people unprepared to compete here show up when they shouldn't, and stay when they should leave, is not the state's fault or responsibility. However, that said, given the extraordinary wealth and successes of this state, it is nice that we do our best to help people out who are struggling.

The thing about irresponsible, ignorant remarks as you continue to post is: it is people like you who encourage some folks to come out who aren't prepared. You persist on supporting the myth that the state has all these wonderful programs to allow the poor and uneducated etc to thrive here more than other less desirable places. When it's not the case at all. I and others on this forum have demonstrated this to you.

And we all would appreciate you not spreading false rumor. You do us all, and the state, and especially the unprepared dreamers, a greatly damaging disservice. Cease and desist.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:11 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I don't even know what that means, but given I'm talking to someone in New Orleans who spends his day sitting on the internet bashing California for some bizarre reason, I'm not going to spend much time pondering it.

My guess is this fascination with California is just more conservative agenda
I'm as socially liberal as they come. I'm a pro-union, pro-socialized healthcare minority woman. Volunteered to help a democrat get elected back in my days at Washington state.

The problem is that I am also pragmatic and a realist, while you simply have your head in the sand. Keep trying to disparage my character as a response. It won't make the truth any less true.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
spreading false rumor.
The truth is that California has the most poverty per capita now, according to the US census and their geographically adjusted formula.

You're the one doing California a disservice by perpetuating idiocracy. I want California to not have these large numbers of poor and under-employed. I want california to have sane laws. I want california to not inflate home prices more than they already would be. I want Republicans to stop pointing at california and *selectively* using various aspects as "proof" as to why liberalism doesn't work.

By the same token, I hate Louisiana and Texas because they are the exact opposite of California. It's full of people who have no standards and participate in a race to the bottom. There's got to be some middle ground.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
California inflates their home prices now? Must be their sneaky way of attracting more poor people.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Thats because CALIFORNIA knows how to party.. in the city of LA.. in the city we keep it rocking.. i guess 2pac is putting it down for CALIFOR NIAAHHHHHHH.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
California has the largest population of any state, leading #2 Texas by 12,000,000, and 3 times as many people as #5. I don't think anyone should be surprised that they would also lead the states in both poverty and billionaires.
Poverty rates are based on percentages, not raw numbers. Duh.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
The truth is that California has the most poverty per capita now, according to the US census and their geographically adjusted formula.

You're the one doing California a disservice by perpetuating idiocracy. I want California to not have these large numbers of poor and under-employed. I want california to have sane laws. I want california to not inflate home prices more than they already would be. I want Republicans to stop pointing at california and *selectively* using various aspects as "proof" as to why liberalism doesn't work.

By the same token, I hate Louisiana and Texas because they are the exact opposite of California. It's full of people who have no standards and participate in a race to the bottom. There's got to be some middle ground.
Now, I have never denied the poverty statistic for California. It is immaterial, for reasons I have previously stated. My entire beef with your posts is your perpetual false representations that California hands out support to the poor and uneducated and illegals, etc., like candy at Halloween. And that somehow these programs magically provide a desirable living for anyone who'd rather sit on their arse than work. Which is complete poppycock. If it were true there would be no low wage workers in the state, and we know there are millions upon millions.

But equally interesting is: the reason for your "desire" and interest for California. Again and again, I point out: ya don't live here. You've never lived here. You're not likely ever gonna live here. Your only connection is perpetuating harmful myths for reasons untold.

Knock it off.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
But equally interesting is: the reason for your "desire" and interest for California. Again and again, I point out: ya don't live here. You've never lived here. You're not likely ever gonna live here. Your only connection is perpetuating harmful myths for reasons untold.
Um, actually, according to the Sacramento Forum, she's looking into moving here. Quite possibly due to this reason you mentioned below:

Quote:
your perpetual false representations that California hands out support to the poor and uneducated and illegals, etc., like candy at Halloween. And that somehow these programs magically provide a desirable living for anyone who'd rather sit on their arse than work.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Um, actually, according to the Sacramento Forum, she's looking into moving here. Quite possibly due to this reason you mentioned below:

Yeah. I'm sticking with my bet she doesn't come.
Unless it's for those mythical benny's. THAT would be hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California