Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Those other-than-California locations have plenty to offer. And yet - CA retains some mysterious magic.
I know, and was wondering about it the other day as I listened to this mellow recent rendition of California Dreamin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVRCnS7pqk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Quote:
Well, I agree it's all pointless. I extend that to civilization's follies throughout history

But, back to the ponder of other tech magnets. Boston / New England has terrific beaches for the warm months, and terrific skiing for winter. Seattle is a Mecca like no other for all round rabid outdoors people, in spite of the drizzly weather: summers can't be beat, winter skiing is fantastic (if you find cold refreshing and exhilarating *shudder*), hiking, kayaking, etc. Both Boston and Seattle also have extraordinarily educated work forces and higher education. Those other-than-California locations have plenty to offer. And yet - CA retains some mysterious magic.
The Golden State will always retain its sheen, and like gold can never be tarnished. Sometimes folks just don't appreciate what we have.

The grass always seems greener on the other side, but no matter which side of the fence you're on the grass still needs to be mowed.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:54 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
I understand your meaning but no, I don't agree. The "good" scenario is possible in CA, and worldwide. In fact, it is completely more doable, survivable, simpler, more pleasant, pleasurable, desirable, affordable - etc. - than continuing to implement "clever" strategies for perpetual growth.

You do realize that in the next dozen and a half or so years that all our "clever" modern solutions will replace human labor by roughly 1/3 at minimum, right? And it will continue to get worse. We are developing and "advancing" ourselves out of employment for the population. Now tell me where that leads - economically, psychologically, physically, and so forth.

Human beings are complete idiots and completely out of control.
Hmmm..... Actually you do agree with me. There is no GOOD scenario. Every scenario will be driven by some sort of major economic disruption or disaster. None of which will be good.

I'm in tune with you regarding tech replacing human labor. It's actually a pet peeve of mine. It's not reported enough. It will force us to rethink our social contracts as well as corporate taxation. That however is a thread of its own.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Hmmm..... Actually you do agree with me. There is no GOOD scenario. Every scenario will be driven by some sort of major economic disruption or disaster. None of which will be good.

I'm in tune with you regarding tech replacing human labor. It's actually a pet peeve of mine. It's not reported enough. It will force us to rethink our social contracts as well as corporate taxation. That however is a thread of its own.
Boy howdy! - as the rodeo clowns are known to say.
Let's make life easier so it can be harder.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Well, I agree it's all pointless. I extend that to civilization's follies throughout history

But, back to the ponder of other tech magnets. Boston / New England has terrific beaches for the warm months, and terrific skiing for winter. Seattle is a Mecca like no other for all round rabid outdoors people, in spite of the drizzly weather: summers can't be beat, winter skiing is fantastic (if you find cold refreshing and exhilarating *shudder*), hiking, kayaking, etc. Both Boston and Seattle also have extraordinarily educated work forces and higher education. Those other-than-California locations have plenty to offer. And yet - CA retains some mysterious magic.
I don't quite understand your point then. Both Boston and Seattle already have a pretty good tech scene. As does So. CA.

Yes, CA retains the magic, and the "magic", using your term, is in SV. And it really isn't that mysterious - it's a combination of weather, people, education, geography, culture, vibrancy and money. Some places come close but they just seem to be missing one or two ingredients.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Plus, while housing is cheaper than SF/SV, So CA is still jaw dropping expensive. If the motivation is cheaper COL, moving to LA is merely moving from worse to bad. It's rather pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I don't quite understand your point then. Both Boston and Seattle already have a pretty good tech scene. As does So. CA.

Yes, CA retains the magic, and the "magic", using your term, is in SV. And it really isn't that mysterious - it's a combination of weather, people, education, geography, culture, vibrancy and money. Some places come close but they just seem to be missing one or two ingredients.
I contest only your comment about the COL in southern California being "jaw dropping expensive. - moving to LA is merely moving from worse to bad".

Southern California COL compared to any really popular urban places in the country is not alarmingly bad at all. Especially compared to the other few tech-oriented cities. Any assumption that weather or natural beauty and activities is incomparable to the Bay Area / SV, made by posters here, is misplaced as well. Nor educational setting, particularly in the case of Boston.

Even Austin COL is rising rapidly to match the tech growth.
High tech earnings result in high COL in short order. But SF / SV is a notable leader.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:45 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Agreed, many talented SoCal engineers, with aerospace experiences. Fewer, top-class tech savvy engineers in SoCal than what the Bay Area has though. And fewer VC's in SoCal, which is what a emerging tech scene needs to develop and nurture successfully.

I wish the tech scene in SoCal well. I lived there for 20 years, but left because of the tough job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well, not quite. There are many, many Engs there. A good many of them have an aerospace pedigree. Some of the current tech firms may not appreciate that. Perhaps the Engs are not all into Java or Web Sockets. However, they can write lean and mean code in C++ or even something more hard core. And they actually can deal with hardware too!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
No exodus from Sand Hill Road, no decline in SV tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California