Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times

Advertisements

I've made short duration visits to Salton Sea several times, always during winter or early spring to avoid the oppressive heat. Salton City on the west shore has a post apocalypse look to it - lots of abandoned houses, buildings, an occasional junk car. There are few people to be seen around town, yet 6 decades ago the streets were laid out for it to have many thousands of residents.

The problem is that the contaminated water is laced with agricultural runoff and chemicals, and when the water evaporates around the lakeshore, the toxic leftover along with rotting tilapia fish carcasses is in the form of dust that blows around in the wind. Not the sort of thing that anyone should breathe on an everyday basis. The dust settles everywhere and the wind blows a lot in that place.

Yes, there is cheap land to be found there, but it's cheap for a real good reason. It is surrounded by some stunning scenery. Just west is Anza Borrego Desert State Park, largest State Park in CA. Southeast is the famous sand dune area of Glamis. North is Coachella Valley with date palms and citrus groves, and the National Date Festival every year in Indio. The problem is that there is no place for all that contaminated water in the Salton Sea to go, it is an outdoor cesspool. If you stopped all the agriculture runoff in Coachella and Imperial Valley, Salton Sea would still stink and be full of salt and other minerals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Can't blame it all on the drought. Seems water politics is playing a big role in the demise of the Salton Sea.

Quote:
So why is it drying up now?
Water politics get a little convoluted. The Imperial Irrigation District and California as a whole have been taking more than their share of Colorado River water for decades. A 2003 agreement will gradually reduce California's draw from the river. The Imperial Irrigation District, the largest California shareholder [of Colorado River water], agreed to sell [water] to the San Diego water district commencing in 2018. This means less water running off fields into the Salton Sea.
A persuasive case for saving the Salton Sea, California's biggest lake - LA Times

Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Can't blame it all on the drought. Seems water politics is playing a big role in the demise of the Salton Sea.

A persuasive case for saving the Salton Sea, California's biggest lake - LA Times
I'm all for saving Salton Sea! Heck, maybe they can desalinated it. Lots of possibilities.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I'm all for saving Salton Sea! Heck, maybe they can desalinated it. Lots of possibilities.
Good point. The state needs to do something about future water sources. The population is getting larger and we can't count on an abundance of rain and snow. Personally, I'd like to see legislators scrap the bullet train and use the $$$ for water, roads and bridges in this state.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Good point. The state needs to do something about future water sources. The population is getting larger and we can't count on an abundance of rain and snow. Personally, I'd like to see legislators scrap the bullet train and use the $$$ for water, roads and bridges in this state.
I'm definitely with ya on scrapping the BT! They can use a small portion of that money to improve and upgrade the current railroad lines we have already and just have trains running day and night.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:42 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The rise and fall of the place is a classic case study in human-caused ecological disasters. Stinky ghost town, anybody?
If you think that's bad, look up the Aral Sea. The Soviets bled it completely dry to water cotton fields in the Central Asian desert. If that isn't the definition of insanity, I don't know what is. Score one for totalitarianism--like the Chinese and their enormous dam projects that wipe out countless villages, mad projects get done by command. Word has it someone's trying to restore at least part of the Aral Sea. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:12 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
I don't know if pointing the finger at other countries makes you feel better. We have the Love Canal and many toxic and Superfund sites in our own country

I read the Feds passed something that would put some oney into the area but it would submerge some of the current sea.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:18 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Regardless of how anybody feels about what caused the Colorado to leave its banks a century ago here are a couple of links to a story of how the incident was addressed:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/200...ate-president/

Epes Randolph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A great river is like the economy itself; the schemes of politicians and developers aside, the river is going to do what nature tells it to do.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I don't know if pointing the finger at other countries makes you feel better. We have the Love Canal and many toxic and Superfund sites in our own country

I read the Feds passed something that would put some oney into the area but it would submerge some of the current sea.
No, it doesn't make me feel better, that wasn't the point. Someone mentioned human-caused ecological disasters, so I started riffing.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,088 times
"Geothermal vs the Dead Sea" The experts are claiming there is 150-270 GW of electrical energy, to be generated, by all the steam, in the area. That's a lot of $'s income and jobs created. What about giving-back, to the area, Salton Sea, that makes it possible ? Riverside Supervisor Benoit envisions "Travertine City", to be built 20 miles away from any other city, based on the economy created by geothermal energy. Of course this "must" be built in Riverside Co.(tax base). Perhaps Imperial Co. doesn't have enough electoral votes/clout, to prevent the resource stripping of fresh water, to San Diego and geothermal benefits. Islands like Kilomos of Greece and others are using geothermal steam, to desalinate saltwater. Why not Salton Sea ? It seems like a natural soulution, to a man made problem. Perhaps this steam could be used to force evaporate salt water, in isolation ponds, faster than sun alone. What if it was enough volume to cause "rain" ? Isn't rain the most efficient form, of desalination ? Perhaps this desalination also removes other harmful chemicals and minerals/ metals ? If Lockheed gets their graphene based, desalination process perfected, could be another good option. Without a reliable source of salt or fresh water, to replenish, the dead sea, truly will be, with consequences far worse than Owens lake. To be continued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California