Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:15 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,660 times

Advertisements

The foothills area between Auburn and Sacramento (Auburn/Lincoln/Newcastle/Loomis/Rocklin) meets most of your criteria except the < $200K for housing. That's going to be tough to find in most locations that you would find desirable. To get in that range you will have to forego the acreage or move up the hill to Meadow Vista or Colfax, but the schools tend not to be so good. You might also look at El Dorado County and the Elk Grove area south of Sac -- check the Sacramento forum for more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
There are many rural roads & homes in Prunedale...

Old 12-24-2014, 05:29 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,157 times
If you don't mind hot (hot!) summers, check out the Antelope Valley (Palmdale/Lancaster). It's desert and an exurb of Los Angeles. Affordable, you can live far out in the sticks if you choose, and easily commutable to LA. I grew up there and while it's personally not my cup of tea it does have some advantages and it's fairly well populated (~300-500k) on its own without feeling super cramped.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:11 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupen View Post
I've been considering moving to California for a while (three hours) now. I've lived in the east my entire life, and am tired of freezing winters and 6 hour commutes to the ocean (or anywhere interesting for that matter). California seems like the best bet; however, it's expensive as hell (from what I've seen), and anything over 1000 feet of land is even more so. I'm an outdoors type of person, and along with having 3 cats and 2 dogs, moving to a city/suburb just isn't feasible; however, I'd still like to be within a half hour (give or take) of the nearest well populated city (San Diego, etc.). Here's what I want:

1. Good schools

2. Affordable (<200k) housing

3. Some land (a few acres, nothing too crazy)

4. Less than a 3.5 hour's drive to the beach

Property like this may not exist, however, I'd like to make sure before I scratch California off my list. Thanks
Good luck with that in Southern California. You'll have to look at Central and Northern California for all that.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Good luck with that in Southern California. You'll have to look at Central and Northern California for all that.
It's for questions like this, and we get them fairly often, that we need a rolling-on-the-floor-laughing emoticon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California