Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times

Advertisements

It was 82 degrees again today. Some people would find that lovely.

I never thought I'd ever be unhappy to wake up and see the sun shining. But, the sun in Redding is relentless. My apartment got hot enough today to turn on the A/C for about an hour to cool it back down. November 5th.

On paper, it sounds so nice to live somewhere where the sun comes out nearly every single day. But, here, it comes with heat. It seems like the sun is always in my eyes, and not in a good way LOL! In the, I'm trying to drive and the sun is right in my eyes, kind of way.

If/when I am able to move to Crescent City on the coast where it is cloudy and rainy and blessedly cool, please remind me that I said I got sick of sunshine in Redding ha ha!

I never understood posters who said they wanted to live somewhere with seasons. I thought, why wouldn't you want sunshine all the year round? Of course, I thought this while living in the SF Bay Area, where the weather is the perfect blend of warmth/cool and mostly sun mixed with some cloudy days. I miss my Bay Area weather.

Anybody else ever experience this phenomenon? Of actually getting sick of seeing the sun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 PM

145 posts, read 214,317 times
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I live south of you in Bakersfield CA and it is relentless sun and heat! So far since last January we have had only two inches of rain. I would love to move to Maine, or perhaps Virginia or Flagstaff AZ.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Relentless is a perfect descriptor for constant sun. Yes, I understand and agree. I also know the opposite of: too little light, too much rain and or snow. Comes down to too much of anything is a *****.

If you get to Crescent City you'll feel it's a blessing for a while. Then I suspect you'll wish for more sun, though not Redding more sun.

Yep. Hard to beat the real Bay.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Sigh. I know. There's just nowhere else with the weather of the Bay Area. Once you've had perfect weather, you're spoiled for life, me thinks.

I got so excited when I could open the windows and wear sweats and a sweater there for a minute last week.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 PM

145 posts, read 214,317 times
Me too! About the sweaters. It was like exciting to wear a sweater. Some people would have no clue where we are coming from but it's true! It gets so monotonous.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:32 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,506,734 times
I'm sick of this drought crap. There used to be a winter in far Northern California... as in rain. Oroville averages close to 30 inches with almost all of it falling from mid November through mid April. Basically, it should be very rainy for about six months. Seems it rarely rains now and the air is stagnant and smoky thanks to inversions, rice farmers burning fields, wildfires and idiots in my neighborhood burning wood when its not even cold. I'm thoroughly fed up with it.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:07 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
NoMoreSnow, I hear you! Born & raised SoCal & former sun worshipper (my skin hates me for that!), I really couldn't tolerate the last few years of relentless sunshine, heat & dryness...felt like I had been hit over the head with a plank, every time I was out in it. I do get a little weary of rain, gray & clouds around late Jan/early Feb, but hey, that's what Happy Lights & Vitamin D pills are for!

Oh, yeah, forgot to add that one of my favorite things to do now is haunt thrift stores & garage sales for cool sweaters cuz now I get to wear them!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 11-06-2014 at 04:07 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It was 82 degrees again today. Some people would find that lovely.

I never thought I'd ever be unhappy to wake up and see the sun shining. But, the sun in Redding is relentless. My apartment got hot enough today to turn on the A/C for about an hour to cool it back down. November 5th.

On paper, it sounds so nice to live somewhere where the sun comes out nearly every single day. But, here, it comes with heat. It seems like the sun is always in my eyes, and not in a good way LOL! In the, I'm trying to drive and the sun is right in my eyes, kind of way.

If/when I am able to move to Crescent City on the coast where it is cloudy and rainy and blessedly cool, please remind me that I said I got sick of sunshine in Redding ha ha!

I never understood posters who said they wanted to live somewhere with seasons. I thought, why wouldn't you want sunshine all the year round? Of course, I thought this while living in the SF Bay Area, where the weather is the perfect blend of warmth/cool and mostly sun mixed with some cloudy days. I miss my Bay Area weather.

Anybody else ever experience this phenomenon? Of actually getting sick of seeing the sun?
Actually, yes. I live in So. Calif. and I do get sick of the sun. It's hot here 6 months of the year. Thinking of moving somewhere cooler and cloudier myself and with more rain.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Just retired in the last couple years. Can do whatever / wherever I want / when I want. So this year I went up north to hang with / help old boating buddy restore his boat in the islands of north Puget Sound - in early March (!) Thought to self: "winter / spring will suck for weather but I can do this. It'll be getting better and better through the spring - and summers can't be beat there."

Stayed over half the year. I've visited north before in winter / spring. But NEVER AGAIN. The summer WAS glorious, as they always are at his place. But there IS such a thing as over compensation. Nearly four months straight from March through June was mostly gray, and wet, with chilly winds - totally soaking wet. Never dries out even when there's no rain for days sometimes. Gaaack! And realize it had already been that way for five months previous to my arrival. Four good months a year doesn't cut it.

Extremes suck. Screw that.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Just retired in the last couple years. Can do whatever / wherever I want / when I want. So this year I went up north to hang with / help old boating buddy restore his boat in the islands of north Puget Sound - in early March (!) Thought to self: "winter / spring will suck for weather but I can do this. It'll be getting better and better through the spring - and summers can't be beat there."

Stayed over half the year. I've visited north before in winter / spring. But NEVER AGAIN. The summer WAS glorious, as they always are at his place. But there IS such a thing as over compensation. Nearly four months straight from March through June was mostly gray, and wet, with chilly winds - totally soaking wet. Never dries out even when there's no rain for days sometimes. Gaaack! And realize it had already been that way for five months previous to my arrival. Four good months a year doesn't cut it.

Extremes suck. Screw that.
I agree. It isn't affordable for most people to live in a place where the climate is temperate year around though. I guess one has to pick the lesser of two evils. Either blaring heat and sunshine most of the time or cool, cloudy, rainy weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California