Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 02:25 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
God what you do not know about Texas, especailly the Dallas area. American is headquartered there, as are many other companies dealing in travel; most people know the travel industry has a large number of gays;
When did I say there are no gay people in Texas? Of course there are gay people in Texas, yet, Texas is one of the least friendly states for gays:

LGBT rights in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But my comment wasn't about gay folks but rather that what one finds negative or positive about Texas is going to depend on one's personal perspective.

Quote:
All the people I know who have moved to the area are anything but carpet dwellers and many are from California.
Texas lacks the natural resources that California has, for the most part, out-door activities in Texas mean going to a park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I would love to see some stats as fact, in will you claim. Btw I live in central Texas and know alot of gay people and never had a problem. Btw have you traveled around Texas?
See the above wiki page. And, yes, I have traveled around Texas.

What does Texas have going for it other than cheaper housing? I can't think of a single thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Dallas is no different than Los Angeles, Chicago, NYC or DC when it comes to issues like gay rights, etc.
No different? Really? So gay couples in Dallas can legally marry? Gay rights are largely implemented at the state level and Texas is not friendly towards gay rights.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
When did I say there are no gay people in Texas? Of course there are gay people in Texas, yet, Texas is one of the least friendly states for gays:

But my comment wasn't about gay folks but rather that what one finds negative or positive about Texas is going to depend on one's personal perspective.

Texas lacks the natural resources that California has, for the most part, out-door activities in Texas mean going to a park.

What does Texas have going for it other than cheaper housing? I can't think of a single thing.
Yes user id you do have a point about gay marriages around Texas. I myself believe marriage should be beween a man and a woman, but have no problem with gays being together. If they choose to be married then that's fine, but I still stand what I say, but will not interfere what they choose either. As far as Texas being less regulated and cheaper housing then yes, not everyone wants to live in California. Now don't get me wrong California is a beautiful state and has everything in it, but there are alot of people that choose to live where there's a lower cost of living as well as having "space" meaning they can have a house or a McMansion with some land and still live side by side with others.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
I just want to say I'm not dissing California at all. I loved living in San Diego for a while last year and wanting to move back soon. In 4 more months I plan on returning for a few days to relax, play my guitar by the beach. Gives me a break from central Texas. Just counting down the days.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
No different? Really? So gay couples in Dallas can legally marry? Gay rights are largely implemented at the state level and Texas is not friendly towards gay rights.
The state level, when it comes to marriage, isn't gay friendly; you are right, but people do not look down on gays in the larger cities in Texas, major companies do not discrimate and as I said, I know a lot of gay people in the Dallas area that have no problems living a happy life and being accepted. Houston has a gay mayor.

As for things to do in Texas (outdoors) do you hae any idea how many lakes, man made or not are in the Dallas area alone and how many people have boats on these lakes? What about the gulf coast for beaches, maybe you think Texas beaches are for Segals on only? As for hiking, have you done any research on the the national parks and state parks in Texas?

I am certainly not going to say, Texas is as pretty as California. Holy cow, I was born in CA. lived all over the state from San Diego to Eureka and I lived 13 years in Texas. My point simply is: you have no idea what Texas is really like, only what you choose to read about the state, you have no idea how truely diverse it is and you can't admit there are people who leave California and find other states more to their liking. You do not make people in California and the state itself seem better by putting down someplace you know nothing about.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I just want to say I'm not dissing California at all. I loved living in San Diego for a while last year and wanting to move back soon. In 4 more months I plan on returning for a few days to relax, play my guitar by the beach. Gives me a break from central Texas. Just counting down the days.
I totally agree with you. Certainly California has some wonderful things to offer people, including beauty. My main gripe is people knowing nothing about a place and continuing to bash it.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:

It's very obvious you know very little about Texas from it's Piney woods, Hill Country, South Coastal and Big Bend areas.

And as the father of a Gay son and someone who's been involved with PFLAG, Black Tie and the whole gay community you are also wrong about Texas acceptance of Gays. Texas probably has as large a LGBT community as CA.

Didn't CA vote not to allow Gay Marriage and was forced by the courts. ?

Lack of resources ? We have more natural resources and as much Brain Power / schools as CA.

You are so wrong.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 AM

37 posts, read 52,396 times
America would be better off without the south, they can start their own hick-redneck bigoted theocracy and leave the progress with us.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieModan View Post
America would be better off without the south, they can start their own hick-redneck bigoted theocracy and leave the progress with us.
What in Gods green earth do you know about the south? Do you have any idea how fast some of the southern states are growing, how beautiful some of them are or how many major corporations are relocating to the sounthen part of the country? I guess you would like to see the entire south form its own country and then you could pay inport tax on everything you purchase from those countries? I have seen some redicolous postings but yours might take the cake?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's very obvious you know very little about Texas from it's Piney woods, Hill Country, South Coastal and Big Bend areas.
I never suggested there is nothing of interest, nature wise, in Texas.....but in comparison to California Texas is absolutely boring nature-wise. You are free to disagree....and I'm happy to leave you with Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas probably has as large a LGBT community as CA.
Nope....Texas has a much smaller gay community:

LGBT demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, again, I wasn't commenting on the size of the gay community but rather how gay folks are treated under the law in Texas.

Quote:
As for things to do in Texas (outdoors) do you hae any idea how many lakes, man made or not are in the Dallas area alone and how many people have boats on these lakes? What about the gulf coast for beaches, maybe you think Texas beaches are for Segals on only? As for hiking, have you done any research on the the national parks and state parks in Texas?
Boats on lakes? Yeah....Texans seem fond of such things. I'm sure even the segals find Texas' beaches dull. In any case, as my above comment, I wasn't implying that there are no national parks, etc just that in comparison to California its dull.

Quote:
you have no idea how truely diverse it is and you can't admit there are people who leave California and find other states more to their liking. You do not make people in California and the state itself seem better by putting down someplace you know nothing about.
Except that the whole point of my original comment is that some people, depending on what they desire, may end up liking Texas.......as such I have no trouble admitting that some people may like it in Texas. In any case, I've been to Texas a number of times and know the state pretty well. At one point I was even thinking of relocating my business to Texas.....then I decided life is too short to live in Texas even if its cheaper.

I'm not trying to make California look better, I'm making fun of the giant cow-patty known as Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California