Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 01:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

^^^ Especially true in many parts of the SF Bay Area with low unemployment and world class amenities.

My 600k home would be 200k in other parts of California

The 80 year old couple that built the home in 1958 and sold me the home were paying $1200 annual property tax... when I bought it went to $9,000 No surprise there.

On the flip side... I fully intend to be one of those 80 year olds decades from now with the low taxes...

Don't know if this would be possible in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Maybe they do this because so many in Texas seem to be begging them to move there. Careful what you wish for!
Exactly. Don't offer incentives to businesses to relocate to Texas and then whine about all the transplants which is so prevalent.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I'll buy the part about the utility bills: because of the weather either heat or air does run from from May to about March. We always had a couple of months when we ran nothing or very little anyway. To me, the worst part of living in Texas was the weather. No one can argue that I don't think. Yes, property taxes are high, no one has argued that, but with on state income tax it can be a wash or even a benefit for many. I don't know what you mean by high maintenance costs, are you sayiing repair people charge more or your house needs more work. If the latter is the case, you might have gotten a home that wasn't built that great. This can happen in any state. We owned 2 homes in Texas, our son owned one and our daughter and sil owned one: none of us had high maintenance problems.
I think then in general homes in Texas must be constructed poorly. Everyone I know has replaced an HVAC system, duct work, roof either from normal wear and tear or hail, garage door, foundation problems from the soil expansion and drought issues, etc, etc. Yes, any home in any state has maintenance but it is abnormally high here. Just think that you have the AC or heat running pretty much the entire year. Sure, $500k+ incomes will benefit from no state income tax, but the majority of Toyota workers likely only make $100k-$200k. This thread is about Toyota, and those moving need to realize it is not that low cost of a state to live especially if they have owned their house in Ca for many years. That's all I'm trying to point out here.

If cashing out a home in Ca and having a really low or no mortgage is more important than being able to partake in outdoor activities throughout the year and one can deal with the terrible weather then Texas will be perfect. And yes, repair people also charge more in Texas especially because there is a building boom going on right now. Very easy for workers to walk off a job site and move to the next one for significantly higher pay.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ Especially true in many parts of the SF Bay Area with low unemployment and world class amenities.

My 600k home would be 200k in other parts of California

The 80 year old couple that built the home in 1958 and sold me the home were paying $1200 annual property tax... when I bought it went to $9,000 No surprise there.

On the flip side... I fully intend to be one of those 80 year olds decades from now with the low taxes...

Don't know if this would be possible in Texas?
No it would not be possible in Texas. That $300k house with a $575k monthly property tax bill three years ago is now $380k with a $730 monthly bill, a whopping 27% increase in just under three years. Assume 2% annual price increases and in 15 years you have a $510k house with a $980 monthly bill. That is assuming the tax rate between 2.1-2.3% stays constant. Of course, I don't believe people will move to Texas in the droves they are now when prices get that high. Just my opinion.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM

Most of my friends that moved to Texas like it... some don't.

One is living the dream on some land he bought near Tyler... built his dream ranch with no building codes... he is a contractor.

In my California city, Design Review can dictate the architectural style right down to the color of your gutters... even replacing a toilet is supposed to be done with a permit.

Two of my retired friends moved to Round Rock and really love it...

There is a place for everyone somewhere...

Right now one of the receptionists wants to move to Texas... if only because she can buy a new house instead of one from WWII vintage here in the Bay Area...

Income Tax would not be as important to me as stable property tax... I would hate to be put in the position of having to sell because of property tax...

Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
AKA known as the "I'm not moving to Texas, unless you pay me a boatload of money" gambit or "seriously?"

Texas.....except for Austin, a serious waste of a giant piece of real estate!
Do you know what you can tell from a person who makes this kind of comment? They know their opinion isn't valued much.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:12 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Most of my friends that moved to Texas like it... some don't.

One is living the dream on some land he bought near Tyler... built his dream ranch with no building codes... he is a contractor.

In my California city, Design Review can dictate the architectural style right down to the color of your gutters... even replacing a toilet is supposed to be done with a permit.

Two of my retired friends moved to Round Rock and really love it...

There is a place for everyone somewhere...

Right now one of the receptionists wants to move to Texas... if only because she can buy a new house instead of one from WWII vintage here in the Bay Area...

Income Tax would not be as important to me as stable property tax... I would hate to be put in the position of having to sell because of property tax...
The Bay Area is a very beautiful area. I can't believe how many morons live there (which is shown through the protests taking place regarding supposed police brutality).

Old 12-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
The Bay Area is a very beautiful area. I can't believe how many morons live there (which is shown through the protests taking place regarding supposed police brutality).
I think Berkeley had 27 arrest and 20 of those don't even live here.

Seems like vandals and looters are drawn here too.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and the point I am making, but you can not seem to get is, until you try it, don't knock it. Obviously you ard dodging this issue, because you have spent 0 time in Texas.
Except, of course, as I just said in my previous post I've been to Texas a number of times and even thought about relocating my business there a few years ago. Its funny that you think that just because some thinks Texas is a stinky cow-patty that they've never been to the state.

Face it, some people have visited and researched Texas and discovered that its a giant cow-patty that isn't worth living in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The US would not have prevailed in either World Wars without the South. Southerners made up a big bulk of the military then and continue to do so now.
I have no idea what the percent of southerners but I had family members, some of which died, in both so I reckon participation was pretty high in the north. But I really don't care whether the US, without the south, was a super power of not. If Canada can prevail.....I'm pretty sure the North could without the dirty South.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Except, of course, as I just said in my previous post I've been to Texas a number of times and even thought about relocating my business there a few years ago. Its funny that you think that just because some thinks Texas is a stinky cow-patty that they've never been to the state.

Face it, some people have visited and researched Texas and discovered that its a giant cow-patty that isn't worth living in.

I have no idea what the percent of southerners but I had family members, some of which died, in both so I reckon participation was pretty high in the north. But I really don't care whether the US, without the south, was a super power of not. If Canada can prevail.....I'm pretty sure the North could without the dirty South.
your statements are just plain rediculous. If the south is so horrible, can you explain why so many people are relocating to that region of the country? Why are some of the areas growing so fast?

Not liking an area is one thing, I have visited of lived places I would not want to live again, Ca and NM for starters, but that doesn't mean I make stupid statements like "nothing but a Giant cow-patty. Making statements like you have about nothing to do in a place is another example of not really knowing what you are talking about. I didn't way you had never been to the state, I questioned you as to whether you had been there or if you had, how much time had you really spent there. Now I will say, you haven't spent much time there.

Yes, I know people who relocated to Texas from Ca when their companies moved or when they were promoted. Yes, some either returned to Ca or would like to, but most have no regrets. I can understand both sides.

Anyone who makes statements about the south like you do gives the impression of being a bigot or if not, again knowing little about the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California