Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:25 AM

23 posts, read 31,598 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll, I'm a Media Arts and Science major who graduated last spring in the need of some major help since I'm stuck at a dead end at the moment.

New York, Chicago, Texas and Cali were four of the states I was suggested to when going for jobs in my chosen filed but at the moment I have NO idea what companies to start at when looking for employment at companies and houses that specialize in graphic design, animation, visual communication ect. I know about the big places but I want to know if there are other places that I've overlooked in my search.

For anyone who lives in California, I am just asking for some advice on where to find and what's the best approach to send my application and portfolio to new media jobs in the state. What are some good places to research applying for? Are there companies that offer relocation packages for people coming in out of state? Are these places located in areas with affordable housing and good public transportation to get too and from until I get a decent car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
For California (not "Cali" BTW), first you've got to narrow it down to where in the state you want to live. And what "affordable" means to you.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
For California (not "Cali" BTW), first you've got to narrow it down to where in the state you want to live. And what "affordable" means to you.
At this point ANY information is valuable. I don't care what area just so long as I have some idea.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBlueWolrd View Post
What are some good places to research applying for?
Is there some sort of professional society for your career that would have job listings? Does your university have some connections or a career center that can help?

Quote:
Are there companies that offer relocation packages for people coming in out of state?
Doubt it. Not if there is a good pool of candidates nearby who don't require relocation. And considering that enormous population of CA, that's pretty likely. Are there colleges in CA that offer your major? If so, that's your competition.

Quote:
Are these places located in areas with affordable housing and good public transportation to get too and from until I get a decent car?
Affordable housing and good public transportation generally do not go together in CA. You can have one or the other.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Craigslist will give you an idea of the smaller jobs. Of course, there are dozens of other CA cities represented on Craigslist. Sample search under "Jobs" with keyword "graphic" in title for Los Angeles:

los angeles jobs "graphic" - craigslist

Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 PM

I've tried Craigslist and its a load of garbage. No one responds when I offer them my services and that's even in my state. As far as the affordable housing/transportation, if its one or the other what are the options with good public transportation?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
what are the options with good public transportation?
The Bay Area is #1 for that. Everyplace else is a distant runner-up, like Sacramento, San Diego, Los Angeles. There's very little or very slow public trans everywhere else.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
What direction do you want to take your skills?
Publications, film, commercial?
Animation- in California?! ILM, Pixar, Disney, Hollywood in general, even live motion movies need a artist to create storyboards... A whole slew of video game companies.
In any state there are print shops as well as advertising and television companies.
I'm a bit surprised that within your education in this field that you did not get any idea of where these skills apply in the workforce.

I also have an art degree, but I did not go looking for a job that was specific to my focus of study, just one that still involved art in some way. I studied fine art but my job is more graphic and design in nature. What I learned is still useful and I'm getting and extra education (and getting paid) in the programs used for the job.

Rather than Craigslist, look up local newspapers online for the areas that interest you.
If there is a particular goal or dream job you are after, get close in location and take what ever job you can find and work your way from there.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
What direction do you want to take your skills?
Publications, film, commercial?
Animation- in California?! ILM, Pixar, Disney, Hollywood in general, even live motion movies need a artist to create storyboards... A whole slew of video game companies.
In any state there are print shops as well as advertising and television companies.
I'm a bit surprised that within your education in this field that you did not get any idea of where these skills apply in the workforce.

I also have an art degree, but I did not go looking for a job that was specific to my focus of study, just one that still involved art in some way. I studied fine art but my job is more graphic and design in nature. What I learned is still useful and I'm getting and extra education (and getting paid) in the programs used for the job.

Rather than Craigslist, look up local newspapers online for the areas that interest you.
If there is a particular goal or dream job you are after, get close in location and take what ever job you can find and work your way from there.
Its not that I didn't know, its just that I was expected to stay in the same place (namely Indiana) to use my degree instead of moving out when I graduated. After waiting more than a year, its obvious that the jobs are NOT here and I need to go where they are.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM

So do you have any experience, or just the degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California