U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 01:08 AM

289 posts, read 582,604 times

Advertisements

I would say the pros of living in the N. California coastal counties (inland is different) are : Great weather,sun,sun,sun!!! Rainy in the winter,but never freezes bad,very mild climate,palm trees make love to redwoods in my yard while the rolling oaks watch.
Lots of outdoor activities, lakes rivers,coast,forests,open country,mountains,etc.
Cultural diversity & acceptance, you can be who you want to be,no matter
how weird
Decent job market from Santa Rosa down to Santa Cruz
Medical marijuana,love it or hate it, you're free to toke up here
Great world class breweries & wineries
Diverse micro climates, you can drive an hour and be in a different eco-tone
Great food,produce & organic markets
Lots of amazing places to see & go within 30 min. - 4 hr. drive
San Francisco

CONS: Expensive real estate,like ridonkulously unfairly push out half the locals expensive Rent is bad too
Too much traffic in the bigger towns Santa Cruz,Santa Rosa,San Rafael
A lot of homeless tweekers & freaks in these same towns
Earthquake DANGER
The coast,coastal towns & beaches are usually WINDY,COLD and/or FOGGY, especially in the summer!

Cost of living is high, worth it IMO, but it's high
Oakland,pack a gat & you'll be okay
Heatwaves,fires & drought, they can be intense when they come
Snobbery, N. Cal. is pretty chill, but Marin & the wine country
definately have their share of pretentiousness unless you're into
that
The 101 It's not that bad,but all the construction is a PITA!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 PM

One problem with medical marijuana, you don't notice the post is 3 years old until it's too late
As for Eric, I would suggest Sonoma county to you too. It's 3-4 hrs. or so to
Redding depending on how you drive.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 97,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Too simplistic and vague. What kind of jobs? Where? Estimated income? What budget for housing? Rent or buy?

Get the picture?
1. I don't know the job yet...
2. I'm asking you where.
3. 100k+
4. If in expensive neighborhood (SAN FRAN) 750,000 is limit. In cheaper places less is preferred. I just want 3000 sqft+ house with good size backyard.
5. Buy

Thanks, Eric!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
One problem with medical marijuana, you don't notice the post is 3 years old until it's too late
As for Eric, I would suggest Sonoma county to you too. It's 3-4 hrs. or so to
Redding depending on how you drive.
I know I didn't mention this, but within an 45 minutes of a (mostly) LAKE or ocean would be HIGHLY preferred. I love boating, jet skiing, tubing (kids), swimming, tanning!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Sonoma county has Lake Sonoma. Google it for pics & info. It is a big lake with tons of room for boating & recreation. It is 30 min. N. of Santa Rosa.
There are some other lakes too nearby,but mostly small ones. Clear Lake is huge too, but it is a 90min. drive through the mountains. Lake Mendocino is good for boating as well & is 1 hr. or so N. of Santa Rosa.
Lake Berreyssa is over in Napa about an hour or so too & is a big old lake that caters to recreation. I think you would be happy with Lake Sonoma as far as conveinence & size.
The coast is 30-45 min. W. of Santa Rosa or most anywhere in Sonoma county. It can be cold & foggy a lot of the summer though,Bodega & Tomales Bay are out there
for boating & activites. Going into the actual open ocean anywhere in NorCal is pretty rugged,dangerous & freezing.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM

If you make that good of an income & can afford to spend up to $750k on a home I would recommend Healdsburg,Sebastopol, Sonoma or NE Santa Rosa, Petaluma is decent too but further from lakes & parks, closer to SF & the East Bay though.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
Sonoma county has Lake Sonoma. Google it for pics & info. It is a big lake with tons of room for boating & recreation. It is 30 min. N. of Santa Rosa.
There are some other lakes too nearby,but mostly small ones. Clear Lake is huge too, but it is a 90min. drive through the mountains. Lake Mendocino is good for boating as well & is 1 hr. or so N. of Santa Rosa.
Lake Berreyssa is over in Napa about an hour or so too & is a big old lake that caters to recreation. I think you would be happy with Lake Sonoma as far as conveinence & size.
The coast is 30-45 min. W. of Santa Rosa or most anywhere in Sonoma county. It can be cold & foggy a lot of the summer though,Bodega & Tomales Bay are out there
for boating & activites. Going into the actual open ocean anywhere in NorCal is pretty rugged,dangerous & freezing.
Thanks bodegahead.
Eric!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM

2,422 posts, read 3,606,121 times
Nevada City.

-Cheers.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 9,394 times
Is Concord, Pleasant Hill, Wallnut Creek and Clayton good places to raise a family?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM

6,664 posts, read 29,314,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantilli View Post
Is Concord, Pleasant Hill, Wallnut Creek and Clayton good places to raise a family?
If you have the money, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California