Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Note that his location is the Sierras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
There are places you can live where the coast is a day trip -- but the cost of living is lower. This is why many retirees head out to the desert.
If I were so inclined, the coast can be had in four hours. with that said, I'd stay overnight. With the money one saves by not living on the coast does pay for many motel nights and meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:04 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If you want to make a little extra money since prop.47 passed you can commit any crime outside of murder or rape with no consequence except a traffic ticket.
As an outsider that doesn't sound too appealing!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:07 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
As an outsider that doesn't sound too appealing!
Well, it doesn't reflect the truth of the Proposition in the slightest.
That said - and nothing personal, you understand - feel free to stay away

Old 11-29-2014, 08:25 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If you want to make a little extra money since prop.47 passed you can commit any crime outside of murder or rape with no consequence except a traffic ticket.
absolute nonsense, you already beat this issue to death in another thread. If anyone is now 'worried' that prop 47 will somehow turn California into a haven for criminals, relax. What it does is make certain non violent, non serious crimes misdemeanors rather than felonies, among these are the possession of small amounts of illegal drugs and thefts of items with a value of less than $950. In a state that a few years ago was spending more on it's prison system than on higher education this is long past due.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, it doesn't reflect the truth of the Proposition in the slightest.
That said - and nothing personal, you understand - feel free to stay away
Nice response. A little explanation of Prop 47 would have sufficed. Thanks 2Sleepy for giving some context.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Nice response. A little explanation of Prop 47 would have sufficed. Thanks 2Sleepy for giving some context.
I said it wasn't personal

Now then, THAT said, again, that post you responded to was an obviously hyperbolic rant. If you suck up that obvious crap when the Proposition is easily found and read, don't know why you'd be surprised that I would make such a simple statement as I did: that it was bunk - and left it as that. The sound of what that guy wrote bothers you? Look it up. There's even accurate, truthful discussion of Proposition 47 here on this forum you can filter.

I'm not judging you or being snarky. You might be who I would consider a great person to have for a neighbor. But the state of California is choking on its growth. You have as much right as anyone to elbow your way in. But don't be surprised that some long-time residents feel approximately thus:
//www.city-data.com/forum/37462372-post30.html

Good luck to you in any case.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I said it wasn't personal

Now then, THAT said, again, that post you responded to was an obviously hyperbolic rant. If you suck up that obvious crap when the Proposition is easily found and read, don't know why you'd be surprised that I would make such a simple statement as I did: that it was bunk - and left it as that. The sound of what that guy wrote bothers you? Look it up. There's even accurate, truthful discussion of Proposition 47 here on this forum you can filter.

I'm not judging you or being snarky. You might be who I would consider a great person to have for a neighbor. But the state of California is choking on its growth. You have as much right as anyone to elbow your way in. But don't be surprised that some long-time residents feel approximately thus:
//www.city-data.com/forum/37462372-post30.html

Good luck to you in any case.
No harm. I get what you are saying. Probably just a little sensitive trying to figure out this next move.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Hey all! I visit your state often and enjoy the people, weather, cultures and, of course, the ocean. I talk with tons of locals (LA, SD, OC) who shared the cost of living expenses, politics and the like. One conversation I never hear is about retirement in CA. I know it happens because during my last visit I spoke to a local group of retirees who were observing a pod of dolphins. Is it difficult to retire in CA? What are some advantages? Disadvantages?
Retiring here if you've lived here your whole life and have a bought and paid for house is one thing. But if you are just moving here to retire from elsewhere, you need to bring a fat purse if you want to live in any of the popular metro areas (L.A., San Diego, San Francisco Bay Area, or anywhere else near the coast from Santa Rosa to San Diego). The lower cost parts of CA are generally that way for a reason and the COL in those areas is not that much of a bargain considering the (lack of) amenities offered (and not as nice climate).

Most people just can't get past the cost hurdle to retire here from elsewhere.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Some retirees opt for more affordable retirement communities like Laguna Woods in South OC. It's a very short drive to the ocean.

Laguna Woods:
http://www.lagunawoodsvillage.com/

Laguna Woods isn't what you think: Younger, livelier, involved - The Orange County Register

Laguna Woods is safe, ocean-close as noted, right across the street from a hospital and various medical offices, close to shopping, chock full of activities, has a golf course, and it provides shuttle services to points beyond the village.

Some of LW's baby boomer residents still work fulltime.

You can find condos listed for as low as an outlier price of $200.00, but the catch is the HOA fee is outrageously high for these "too good to be true" places. It's $1871/ month for this 471 sq ft $200.00 unit:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Woo...7/home/5370651

Still, there are plenty of condos listed there for under $200K. HOA fees seem to average between $500-$600/month.
https://www.redfin.com/city/9968/CA/...6&market=socal

Last edited by pacific2; 12-01-2014 at 06:30 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 07:10 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Retiring here if you've lived here your whole life and have a bought and paid for house is one thing. But if you are just moving here to retire from elsewhere, you need to bring a fat purse if you want to live in any of the popular metro areas (L.A., San Diego, San Francisco Bay Area, or anywhere else near the coast from Santa Rosa to San Diego). The lower cost parts of CA are generally that way for a reason and the COL in those areas is not that much of a bargain considering the (lack of) amenities offered (and not as nice climate). Most people just can't get past the cost hurdle to retire here from elsewhere.
That is generally true, but we retired to the Sacramento area from Reno and housing prices are not much higher here. I guess it could be argued that Sacramento isn't a desirable place but we love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California