U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 05:59 PM

559 posts, read 1,205,807 times

Advertisements

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll.

A Golden State of Mind: The Storytelling Genius of Huell Howser, a documentary tribute to the beloved chronicler of all things California, will be broadcast twice today, November 27, on KCET, channel 28.1:

* 8:00PM-9:30PM
* 9:30PM-11:00PM

Here is KCET's site for the film: A Golden State of Mind | Shows | KCET

"The television premiere of this touching documentary takes you on a behind-the-scenes tour of the amazing world of Huell Howser and his iconic TV series "California's Gold," "Visiting," and "Road Trip."
For more than 30 years, Howser produced hundreds of episodes and made stars of everyday people as he explored the Golden State -- from its natural beauty and historic landmarks to its homespun family businesses and arcane roadside attractions.
The film explores how his shows were filmed and edited, and includes interviews with Howser's friends, colleagues, and production team about his offbeat, yet legendary adventures."

The Chapman University YouTube trailer for the film. Chapman is where his works are archived.

And an OC Weekly article, Popular Huell Howser Documentary Gets Two More Screenings at Chapman University, with some description about an earlier screening at the University.

Is there any way to add this to the Huell Howser sticky, especially if a permanent online site for the documentary is available?

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 11-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: typos
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,235,582 times
[Setting: Mojave Desert in the middle of July.]
Huell approaches local. "Hi there! It's kinda warm today, isn't it?"

Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM

3,407 posts, read 8,552,978 times
I missed that show on the 27th, so I'll check to see if it will be re-broadcast sometime again soon.

I've lived the majority of my 60 yrs in California, but have also lived in a variety of other places in the US and abroad due to work or military service.

In the late 1990s, I was living in Auburn, Alabama and had a chance to travel around to a lot of places in the southeast. On a visit to Nashville, I went to the home and museum of President Andrew Jackson. After that, I happened to go a few miles up the road and found myself in Gallatin, TN, the hometown of Huell Howser. I remembered reading about that one time, and when I stopped in Gallatin and walked around, I asked some people there if they knew about Huell Howser. None of the people that I spoke with in his hometown had a clue that he was a well known TV personality in California. Most likely, this is because PBS did not broadcast California's Gold outside CA, and his shows were documentary style instead of the usual TV drivel.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 AM

9,722 posts, read 13,908,682 times
We missed it too. Can someone post if it is going to be on again?

Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 PM

559 posts, read 1,205,807 times
The Huell Howser doc is scheduled to be re-broadcast at least two more times. The KCET link in the first post is still live and lists the following two dates:

December 17, 2014, Wednesday @ 9:00PM - 10:30PM (tomorrow, at the time of this post)
January 7, 2015, Wednesday @ 8:00PM - (9:30PM, I think)

This is on KCET-HD, Channel 28.1 in the Los Angeles metro.

The doc does show early photos and film of a very young Huell. Very worthwhile viewing.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:40 PM

15,907 posts, read 12,020,772 times
For all of the Huell fans, KCET is having a marathon of him on New Year's Eve.

https://www.kcet.org/tv-talk/ring-in...thon-on-dec-31

He had lots of interesting and even fascinating shows/topics, of course, but my favorites were always the ones where it was an absolute bomb of a show -- he gets somewhere and there's no one around or whatever -- and he would comment on that as he continued on, trying to drum up something of interest.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:01 AM

4,254 posts, read 11,059,296 times
I would really enjoy Adam Corolla's imitation of a Huell Howser show. His parody would go something like this...

"Here I am in XXX, looking down their famous hole. Have you EVER seen a hole like that? Amazing! You can't see a thing. Mr. Cameraman point your camera down there so the folks at home can see. See, you can't see a thing. Wow!"

And Adam would continue, "Yeah... great visuals for TV *sarc* And you would spend thirty minutes watching Huell talk about holes in the ground where you couldn't see anything, and Huell interviewing the people who liked holes in the ground."

I think Adam was surprised that HH even had an audience. Except the thing is, Adam watched enough of his shows to do a good parody, and was confident enough that his audience had seen enough of HH's shows to know what he was parodying.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:07 PM

15,907 posts, read 12,020,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I would really enjoy Adam Corolla's imitation of a Huell Howser show. His parody would go something like this...

"Here I am in XXX, looking down their famous hole. Have you EVER seen a hole like that? Amazing! You can't see a thing. Mr. Cameraman point your camera down there so the folks at home can see. See, you can't see a thing. Wow!"

And Adam would continue, "Yeah... great visuals for TV *sarc* And you would spend thirty minutes watching Huell talk about holes in the ground where you couldn't see anything, and Huell interviewing the people who liked holes in the ground."
lmao! Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I think Adam was surprised that HH even had an audience. Except the thing is, Adam watched enough of his shows to do a good parody, and was confident enough that his audience had seen enough of HH's shows to know what he was parodying.
I usually caught the show while visiting my dad. He would goof on Huell, but he never missed a show.

I have this cup. lol

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/wolfiez88-store_2268_749367
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California