Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 44,825 times

Advertisements

I have friends that live in Encino and Ventura california and I'm really debating on moving down there before next winter comes. The thing that I'm most worried about is money and if Ill make it since its so expensive over there than to Wisconsin and if I'll get a job...My friend just moved down there with her boyfriend and she says theyre doing perfectly fine. For housing I plan on moving with my friend or two I dont want anything fancy or anything really expensive and a one bedroom would be perfectly fine with us. I dont know how to go about moving this far either, my dad has a friend that lives down there in Santa Barbara and says i could stay with him for a week and hell take me to check out housing and all that so i may take that idea up. If anybody can give me advice on moving over there, please give it to me id really appreciate it.

Last edited by dmb442; 01-02-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,423,957 times
dmb--you are in for a shock!! California is MUCH more expensive than Wisconsin. And the wages do not match the cost of living. Dont be surprised if you end up with 4 roomates just to pay the rent. Encino is a rich persons town. I think that is where the Jacksons live. Santa Barbara is VERY expensive. I went to college there. Please do your homework before you move. Besides--you wont be able to get a Leinenkugles or a REAL bratwurst in California!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,482,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb442 View Post
I have friends that live in Encino and Ventura california and I'm really debating on moving down there before next winter comes. The thing that I'm most worried about is money and if Ill make it since its so expensive over there than to Wisconsin and if I'll get a job...I love my job now in Wisconsin which is a Martinizing dry cleaners but i cant transfer since most dry cleaners are owned by different people, I'm really interested in working at one in California or find at least an interesting job over there, and for housing I plan on moving with my friend I dont want anything fancy or anything really expensive and a one bedroom would be perfectly fine with us. I dont know how to go about moving this far either, my dad has a friend that lives down there in Santa Barbara and says i could stay with him for a week and hell take me to check out housing and all that so i may take that idea up. If anybody can give me advice on moving over there, please give it to me id really appreciate it.
People move out of california not to california, Their is a reason for that

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 AM

ha thank you a lot...I know my dads friend who lives in Sanata barbara tells me its very expensive compared to here but california is my dream home I visited out there a couple times and I LOVED it Im just not happy in Wisconsin. But I did fine a studio in Encino for 1,000 and minimum wage is $8.00 and I will be working full time since Ill be out of school, my friend will also help me to get a job at his work. Another question is Oxnard a good neighborhood? I also found a studio for $900-980 bucks and about the roomate thing I think Ill have 2 people now instead of one since there will be three of us moving over there, a lot of my friends from Wisconsin are moving to California but to the expensive places since their parents are rich and have money to pay for their place, that I dont have...

Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 AM

I know Ive heard stories from people that they cant afford any of it and end up moving back.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 AM

dmb--maybe someone from that area can tell you more than me, but when i lived in California Oxnard was considered a " gang city". It did have a very high crime rate and if you move there make sure you practice your Spanish.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:51 AM

But no brats!!! i would die!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:52 AM

yeah thats what my friend told me, he came to Wisconsin from Encino California to visit us for two weeks and weve been looking online for places, I dont know what would be a good place, he says Encino some say something completley different.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 AM

hahaha brats here are AMAZING along with other things but I think I can last without them and the winter here is just EWWWW....not fun at all, I hate the cold

Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 AM

dmb--move to Arkansas. Me and Junkman will take ya fishin!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California