Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,776,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
What are you talking about? We just had a Republican governor for 8 years! Do you know anything at all about California? I think not.

hmm.... brand-new member, first post. No location given. Bored, on a holiday weekend, OP? Feeling the need to create some drama, perhaps?

Don't fall for this obvious set-up, folks. We've been had.
Yes, afraid so. The grammar and punctuation is a bit suspect for one attempting to have a knock on the place, as well. Trollorific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 06:19 PM

807 posts, read 892,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
At the root, it's not an issue of democrat, republican, or libertarian - or balancing those factions. It's what works.

For whatever criticisms from within or afar, California is a remarkably successful entity relative to every state in the nation, and country in the world. So desirable that millions of people who should leave her to find their opportunity elsewhere, refuse. And millions more from around the nation and world scheme to find a way to elbow their way in here.

California's challenge isn't dysfunctional government. It's that its phenomenal success and desirability is choking it to death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Like that paragon of functional governance we enjoy at the Federal level? Really?

The better question is why the rest of the nation allows the GOP to run a damn thing.
These two sum it up. The proof we need is in the fact that California still has Republicans worth giving serious consideration to.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,328,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. And it's been caused primarily by the Democrats. Another CD poster, who was a long time state government employee (worked in the legislature specifically) mentioned that it was Brown who signed legislation back in the early 1980s allowing the unions to run wild, which has caused our current predicament with pensions.
Jerry Brown sold the workers to the unions. Gray Davis upped the ante and put a huge strain on the pension funds. Both are coin-operated!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 11,778 times
Quote:
Quote:
What are you talking about? We just had a Republican governor for 8 years! Do you know anything at all about California? I think not.

hmm.... brand-new member, first post. No location given. Bored, on a holiday weekend, OP? Feeling the need to create some drama, perhaps?

Probably more bitter than bored because of the amount of taxes these people get from me.
Yes I know we had a Republican governor but what about the congress.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:12 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,795,501 times
The question is, "why not?"

Is there a time in recent history where we've all been singing the praises of prosperity, or been happy with our elected leaders? At any given time, there will be a group of people shouting from the rooftops, "This world/country/state is in the Pooper!". And the other side disagrees. It's all up to who shouts louder, and who can convince the most people which way is right.

In California, many of us think everything is great. So why fix something that many of us don't feel is broken?

We are a fickle nation, right before (or as) things are going well, we still think something is extremely wrong and needs a fixin'.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:53 PM

21,610 posts, read 16,105,012 times
Quote:

We haven't been had, this is what we do. Any excuse / post will do

Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,309,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celox View Post
Probably more bitter than bored because of the amount of taxes these people get from me.
Hmmm, I guess you don't know that about half of the states in the country have higher overall tax rates than California does. And unlike California, they don't own pretty much everything.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:45 AM

578 posts, read 1,290,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I don't owe you or anybody else squat.
I wonder if the first-time homebuyer housing squeeze is also causing us younger folk to not have kids -- meaning an unfortunate economic outlook in the future. If a depression comes rolling around and that's a reason for it, no complaining.

Quote:
Other states get you in different ways tax-wise.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:48 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,115,873 times
Quote:
The Republican Congress in Washington is quite unworkable. Are you suggesting we do something like that to our state? No thank you.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:57 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,654,254 times
Quote:
Every book you read nowadays...
Don't lie. You've never read a book.

You just watch FOX and let the boob tube tell you what to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California