Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:23 AM

778 posts, read 823,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Easiest city I've ever seen to get around it, rush hour or not. Fairly complete freeway system (most of it put in just since the 1970s) and wide surface streets laid out in a grid. Simple.
And how many times have you been on those freeways in the last ten years?

Fresno drivers are some of the worst I've encountered in California as well.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
And how many times have you been on those freeways in the last ten years?

Fresno drivers are some of the worst I've encountered in California as well.
Have family and friends there - quite a lot and not just weekends. Fresno is easy to get around in - try Sacto or the Bay Area at rush hour for a reality check.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Have family and friends there - quite a lot and not just weekends. Fresno is easy to get around in - try Sacto or the Bay Area at rush hour for a reality check.
My problem with Bay Area, well I should say San Francisco - San Jose drivers is they are way too passive and slow. Too many people driving in the fast/pass lane going the speed limit, while the other lanes are wide open. So many drivers that don't know how to back out of a parking space, so it ends up taking 2 minutes, when it should have taken 10 seconds. This is the extreme opposite of say Miami where it's like you take one second to breathe and you get honks. Neither is enjoyable in my opinion lol.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 AM

191 posts, read 311,637 times
Fresno gets an undeserved bad rap:

Hawaii announcer sorry for calling Fresno 'armpit' - SFGate

Old 12-03-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I've done it daily. Just because some places are worse doesn't mean Fresno isn't awful.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
I've done it daily. Just because some places are worse doesn't mean Fresno isn't awful.
Yeah, if we want to get down and dirty, we can discuss Bakersfield

Old 12-03-2014, 01:43 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Quote:
I've done it daily.
So have I for many years and I'd disagree that it's hard to get around. There's more traffic than there used to be and certainly more than anywhere in Humboldt County (as your info indicates), but still not bad. And if you don't like the freeways, just use surface streets. Simple. What was your specific commute?

And now that they've completely finished the new 41/168/180 junctions, it's even better. I worked on that project back when it was just in its beginning stages and just got to see the finished product over Thanksgiving. Very slick.

But if Fresno traffic was too much for you, I'd say it's a good thing you moved up to Humboldt!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 PM

39 posts, read 51,267 times
Its mostly from people looking at stuff online and in the news instead of going there. California in general looks like a big insane asylum when you watch newstories about it on the east coast.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My problem with Bay Area, well I should say San Francisco - San Jose drivers is they are way too passive and slow. Too many people driving in the fast/pass lane going the speed limit, while the other lanes are wide open. So many drivers that don't know how to back out of a parking space, so it ends up taking 2 minutes, when it should have taken 10 seconds. This is the extreme opposite of say Miami where it's like you take one second to breathe and you get honks. Neither is enjoyable in my opinion lol.
Kinda frustrating having to deal with people who aren't in a hurry to get to the next place all the time, eh?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
So have I for many years and I'd disagree that it's hard to get around. There's more traffic than there used to be and certainly more than anywhere in Humboldt County (as your info indicates), but still not bad. And if you don't like the freeways, just use surface streets. Simple. What was your specific commute?

And now that they've completely finished the new 41/168/180 junctions, it's even better. I worked on that project back when it was just in its beginning stages and just got to see the finished product over Thanksgiving. Very slick.

But if Fresno traffic was too much for you, I'd say it's a good thing you moved up to Humboldt!
Depended on where I was going. I lived out toward Kerman and went to FCC. Worked at Fresno State one summer. Drove to Clovis to my grandpa's once a week. Worked over by River Park for a while, Target at Shaw and West...

I never said the streets weren't simple. They're laid out in a grid, just like most American cities. Big deal. That doesn't mean trying to drive down Shaw at 9 AM or noon or 5 PM isn't hellish. Oh, and god forbid you hit a train at Shaw and Golden State....especially one that's slowing to a stop there. I've been stuck at that intersection for a half hour multiple times because I had the audacity to try and take the most direct route from my house to Costco or Fig Garden.

Last time I was in Fresno all of the interchanges were still a mess. It'll be 'nice' to see how they are now when I go home in a few more weeks.

Fresno traffic is crap, Fresno drivers are crap, and no amount of "simple" roads changes that. I drove in Fresno for ten years (and I've driven in L.A. and SF and halfway across the country) and it's not "too much", but I'm not going to pretend that it's pleasant. It's much less stressful driving around here in the Great Green North.

And, you know, I can leave my house and be at school, work, or downtown in five minutes, or at the beach in 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California