Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:08 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
After tuitions skyrocketed if that's what you're trying to get at.
Um, when bob? Tuitions have been skyrocketing for quite a while. Higher and higher. And yeah, anyway, coming from a "private school background" is explaining you better now. Thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 02:15 PM

595 posts, read 560,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um, when bob? Tuitions have been skyrocketing for quite a while. Higher and higher. And yeah, anyway, coming from a "private school background" is explaining you better now. Thanks for the clarification.
Much more than any in state tuition charged after 20% increase.

Point is it's possible with a little bit of work(impossible being lazy)

Old 12-05-2014, 02:28 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Student loans and a part time job, anyone can do it. Making it more expensive shouldn't prevent anyone from going to college unless they expect to not be employed after college.
I agree that student loans are a big help, even if someone ends up paying for it the rest of their adult life. But I wasn't commenting on "how" a person can get an education. I was commenting on the fact that prices of an education are rising 5% every year for the next five years and that the reason had nothing to do with the quality of said education. The rise in price is to line the pockets of administration and health care benefits.

I commend you for being one of the many who worked their way through college. I'm sure you appreciate that education better than someone who say had their education completely paid for without lifting a finger, so to speak. I hear parents complaining about their kid in college who is wasting time partying and on academic probation. Personally, I feel that if the student was working (even part-time) for that education, they might do a little less dallying and put more effort into attaining something that will reap greater benefits in their life. Happy to say that's not the case for most students, though. Some of the best and brightest young people out there lets me think that the future isn't completely lost.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:41 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Somebody find a way to keep Jerry Brown in office forever. Please.

California golden again — and we’re the fiscal mess | Local News | The Seattle Times
Yea, lets keep taxing the absolute **** out of the people who work hard for their money while giving free handouts to all the illegals and unemployed here. Lets keep taxing the absolute **** out of small businesses forcing them to shut down or move out of state and taking their money elsewhere. Brown only did this because he raised taxes on everyone and everything to insane levels in an already expensive state. Oh and lets not forget the $68 BILLION Brown is wasting on an absolutely useless train to SF. There are flights every hour to SF, why do we need to spend $68 BILLION on a train?! Terrible leadership.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:04 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Exactly. I know a few people in their mid 40s that are still paying off student loan debt from back in the late 80s early 90s and it's gotten worse for my generation now! Nobody said college should be completely free. It should be affordable for everyone, not just the kids who were lucky enough to have well off parents. A crappy minimum wage job is not going to get someone through school. What a joke.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
There still are students that use alternative funding methods.

We just hired a nurse that is 28... she enlisted in the military and used her benefits to pay for school.

Scholarships, be it academic, sports or something else like a friends daughter that was awarded a 20k scholarship from the Portuguese American Scholarship fund.

In my case... it was working always one if not more part time jobs, getting all my two year requirements at a community college and then finishing at the University to earn my engineering degree.

I did sometimes wonder what it would be like not having to work... did miss a lot not living on campus at a time not many students were commuters.

For the most part, I was able to schedule class for 8 am to 10:20 at night Tuesday and Thursdays which left me free to work Friday from noon to 12 and Saturday 10 to 6 and Sunday 2 to 6 equaling 24 hours a week.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 PM

399 posts, read 407,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Nobody said college should be completely free. It should be affordable for everyone, not just the kids who were lucky enough to have well off parents.
Why? Why should college be affordable for everyone? NOTHING is for EVERYONE. Those who are worthy of college never have a problem getting in or paying for it.

I've got many family members who have college educations. None of them paid for it. I'm not just talking local state schools either. Many of them got free rides to Ivy League universities. THAT'S who colleges are for, not Joe Average who wants to waste 4 years of his life learning Women's Studies so he can go work as a community organizer.

There are plenty of trade schools and on-the-job training programs available for the 90% of Americans who aren't cut out for higher education. Learn a real trade and contribute something of value instead of getting your brain washed in some lib arts program and then crying about how no one wants to hire you with your useless skills.

There's no shame in working a blue collar job and having practical skills. The problem is people these days are lazy and, rather than roll up their sleeves and do real work, they want to go to college and get what they think will be a free ride through life on a cushy job where they don't have to break a sweat. Boo hoo, sorry for you.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There still are students that use alternative funding methods.

We just hired a nurse that is 28... she enlisted in the military and used her benefits to pay for school.

Scholarships, be it academic, sports or something else like a friends daughter that was awarded a 20k scholarship from the Portuguese American Scholarship fund.

In my case... it was working always one if not more part time jobs, getting all my two year requirements at a community college and then finishing at the University to earn my engineering degree.

I did sometimes wonder what it would be like not having to work... did miss a lot not living on campus at a time not many students were commuters.

For the most part, I was able to schedule class for 8 am to 10:20 at night Tuesday and Thursdays which left me free to work Friday from noon to 12 and Saturday 10 to 6 and Sunday 2 to 6 equaling 24 hours a week.
This was, of course, several hundred years ago though. Right?

Ok, look. Enough nonsense about people working their way through college. Of course it CAN be done. And of course it is admirable. And of course we're not forgetting that unemployment has been - um, high? shall we say? - in the past 8 or so years? And among the very worst hit for employment have been which age / education level group? And during the past decade or two, have COL risen much? Oh yeah, forgot, huh. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, more and more hiring is dominated by having a degree - actually useful or not.

Sure there are various scholarships out there. But for the vast majority of students? Not.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Much more than any in state tuition charged after 20% increase.

Point is it's possible with a little bit of work(impossible being lazy)
You're still evading my question.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Why? Why should college be affordable for everyone? NOTHING is for EVERYONE. Those who are worthy of college never have a problem getting in or paying for it.

I've got many family members who have college educations. None of them paid for it. I'm not just talking local state schools either. Many of them got free rides to Ivy League universities. THAT'S who colleges are for, not Joe Average who wants to waste 4 years of his life learning Women's Studies so he can go work as a community organizer.

There are plenty of trade schools and on-the-job training programs available for the 90% of Americans who aren't cut out for higher education. Learn a real trade and contribute something of value instead of getting your brain washed in some lib arts program and then crying about how no one wants to hire you with your useless skills.

There's no shame in working a blue collar job and having practical skills. The problem is people these days are lazy and, rather than roll up their sleeves and do real work, they want to go to college and get what they think will be a free ride through life on a cushy job where they don't have to break a sweat. Boo hoo, sorry for you.
Well once again, the inimitable Kaz shows up to delight all. This time though, I could almost agree with a couple of your points. Except you also patently don't recognize that the traditional purpose of college was to enlighten minds through free thinking and broad exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California