U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:38 PM

17,585 posts, read 10,038,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Does you dog bark back at them and how does it like the cooler weather?
Dog loves - and I mean LOVES - everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - in life - EXCEPT - really hot days - EXCEPT - when he can enjoy them IN the water He's pretty much my role model for living. Gross bastard

And yeah, he barks at everything. Thinks that's his job. Guess it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:41 PM

17,585 posts, read 10,038,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
PS TellMutt, there is an eastern route out as well :P
You refer to 199, I presume. Ok, I'll give it to you, just to help facilitate escape planning. But, technically, it's a ways north of CC.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,586,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Nice to see you're settling in. I hope this new city turns out to be a good one. I remember your enthusiasm for Redding and that went downhill after summer. 'Course, the heat bothers me too so I can see why you'd want to get out. I hope you won't find the gloomy gray skies too disappointing. Just in case, start taking Vitamin D3. It helps immensely. Good luck in your new home.
Good advice about the D3. Will definitely check into that.

Other than that, yes, I admit that I did really like Redding - other than the heat. But, I believe in changing what we can. What's that prayer? Changing the things we can, accepting the things we can't. I can't change Redding weather, but I can change the fact that I live there. I honestly have no other negative things to say about Redding overall, or at least nothing that would cause me to move away. Just the heat.

Quote:
Does you dog bark back at them and how does it like the cooler weather?
OMG, that's so funny that you mentioned this. My dog has apparently forgotten all of her training, since I moved here. Including barking at random noises. Driving me nuts, but we'll work it out. My usual command of "enough" is not as effective as usual, but we'll work it out. The seals, though, no she's not barking at them. Just the people who walk by our apartment, since we're at the end of the hall where people take their dogs out, and she hears them, it's challenging - to put it mildly.

And YES she loves the cooler weather, because it means I take her out to walk and chase seagulls a couple times a day. Half the year in Redding, I had to take her out really early, and the rest of the day would be shot as far as taking her outside. Here, I can take her out any time of the day. Yay!

Quote:
When my wife gets home tonight i will ask, but I vaguely recall her telling me that several
da's were fired for corruption over the past few years.

PS TellMutt, there is an eastern route out as well :P
LOL, well that website did say the Chief of Police here is an "interim" police chief. One would wonder what happened to the last one? I have no idea yet. Or about any corruption, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Dog loves - and I mean LOVES - everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - in life - EXCEPT - really hot days - EXCEPT - when he can enjoy them IN the water He's pretty much my role model for living. Gross bastard

And yeah, he barks at everything. Thinks that's his job. Guess it is.
LOL, mine, too. Before we left Redding, as it was salmon season, she'd keep finding dead salmon at the river and roll in them before I could stop her. Gack. She also loves the water, but isn't sure about the ocean yet. She does love chasing seagulls, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You refer to 199, I presume. Ok, I'll give it to you, just to help facilitate escape planning. But, technically, it's a ways north of CC.
Well, 199 is barely north of CC. Basically still in town. So beautiful, but not fun to drive at night, is all I know so far - really windy and lots of headlights coming at you and behind you, and hardly anywhere to pull over for them to pass you. I'm such an old lady now when it comes to driving in these conditions. Someone here said I should go to Medford instead of Eugene for major shopping (like Costco, etc.) because there is no sales tax in OR. But, the thought of dealing with driving on 199 makes me pause, honestly. Is it worth the 7.5% I'd save and the extra gas? Me thinks no.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:13 AM

9,509 posts, read 12,543,101 times
Good luck in Crescent City. Hope everything goes well for you. I wouldn't live there if you paid me to. You may want to check out the back issues of the Del Norte Triplicate to read about the sordid antics of DA's Alexander and Mike I've-forgotten -his-name. I forget where the library is but there is one.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:24 PM

I am too old to worry about local politics anymore. I don't expect them to affect me much, and what town is without it's share of politics one disagrees with or shady politicians? But I respect you not wanting to live here.

I did find the library on my walk today. It's a funky blue building that kind of looks like a trailer. It's close to the waterfront park downtown. I didn't go in, because I had my dog with me, but I did find it today.

A new thing I love about CC:

There are trash and recycle cans EVERYWHERE! Downtown, at the park, on the beachfront walk. And they're not overflowing! I even went to Grocery Outlet today and wanted to throw away the coffee cups I still had in the car from moving day. Looked around and sure enough, there were city trash and recycle cans in front of Grocery Outlet next to a bus stop. How nice that the city has funds to pay someone to go empty all these garbage and recycle cans. Love it!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:00 PM

23,599 posts, read 33,339,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, 199 is barely north of CC. Basically still in town. So beautiful, but not fun to drive at night, is all I know so far - really windy and lots of headlights coming at you and behind you, and hardly anywhere to pull over for them to pass you. I'm such an old lady now when it comes to driving in these conditions. Someone here said I should go to Medford instead of Eugene for major shopping (like Costco, etc.) because there is no sales tax in OR. But, the thought of dealing with driving on 199 makes me pause, honestly. Is it worth the 7.5% I'd save and the extra gas? Me thinks no.
There's both a Grocery Outlet and a Fred Meyer in Brookings, OR a whole 28 miles (maybe 35 minutes) north of you.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
There's both a Grocery Outlet and a Fred Meyer in Brookings, OR a whole 28 miles (maybe 35 minutes) north of you.
I used to love shopping at Fred Meyer when I lived in southern WA. There was one in The Dalles, OR we used to go to.

AND, Brookings is up 101, and I don't have to drive the dreaded 199. Though, driving 199 during the daylight might be fine. It was misery to drive in the dark for me.

You just gave me an idea for something to do today....other than continue to unpack which I'm really hating LOL. I think I'll drive up to Brookings. Go check out the Fred Meyer.

I just Gooogled it and it will only take me 33 minutes to Fred Meyer. Thanks! Time for a Sunday drive.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Hey, I just checked gasbuddy, and gas is a lot cheaper in Brookings, too, and there's even a gas station at Fred Meyer. $2.91/gallon instead of $3.07 in CC at the cheapest place. Wahoo!

Old 12-07-2014, 12:41 PM

5,178 posts, read 4,178,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hey, I just checked gasbuddy, and gas is a lot cheaper in Brookings, too, and there's even a gas station at Fred Meyer. $2.91/gallon instead of $3.07 in CC at the cheapest place. Wahoo!
Probably less now, given the lack of the 8% or more California sales tax.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Probably less now, given the lack of the 8% or more California sales tax.
No doubt. Sales tax here in the boonies is 7.5%. And I know that because I just looked it up before seeing you post. Why? Because I want to see if Fred Meyer carries computers like Walmart does here. I need a new computer in the near future, and saving 7.5% on a big purchase like that would be sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California