U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 03:44 PM

16,215 posts, read 19,208,764 times

Advertisements

In Grants Pass there is Fred Meyer, Walmart Super Store, Albertson's, Bi-Mart, Home Depot, Sears, Safeway, Diamond Home Improvement Center, etc, etc. Just about every store you can need is there. We've been buying our vittles in Grants Pass fer 29 years......hwy 199 runs right into town.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,586,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
In Grants Pass there is Fred Meyer, Walmart Super Store, Albertson's, Bi-Mart, Home Depot, Sears, Safeway, Diamond Home Improvement Center, etc, etc. Just about every store you can need is there. We've been buying our vittles in Grants Pass fer 29 years......hwy 199 runs right into town.
Nice town, too. I stopped there for gas on my move from Redding to CC, and they pumped my gas for me! I'd forgotten about that. Got gas at the Fred Meyer there.

So, my trip to Brookings today to Fred Meyer - NICE! There were actually employees available everywhere, and they all asked me if I needed help!!!!! And they all spoke English LOL!! Chatted with a couple to explain why I was wandering the aisles aimlessly, in case they thought I was shoplifting or something lol! They told me Brookings is WAY nicer than CC, that they get more sunshine. I have to say that people were very friendly there, and men opened doors for me THREE times! Wow!

If I didn't want to stay in CA for better benefits than OR, I'd seriously consider a move to Brookings.

But, then I came home and drove out to check out Point St. George, got out to let the dog run around on the beach (who promptly found something dead and rolled it in - gack!), then drove back to my apt via Pebble Beach Drive - WOW! Gorgeous and some pricy homes with ocean views. Absolutely beautiful.

So, I'll stay in CC, but drive to Brookings for fun and to save 7.5% taxes. Turns out they do carry computers at Fred Meyer - wahoo! 7.5% on a new computer saved will be a pretty penny!

And the drive up 101 to Brookings is easy peasy and very pretty.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 PM

9,301 posts, read 10,381,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Nice town, too. I stopped there for gas on my move from Redding to CC, and they pumped my gas for me! I'd forgotten about that. Got gas at the Fred Meyer there.

That would be nice, except it is illegal for citizens to pump their own gas in Brookings. You are not allowed to pump your own gas in OR.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
That would be nice, except it is illegal for citizens to pump their own gas in Brookings. You are not allowed to pump your own gas in OR.
Yes, I know. Nice law!

Old 12-07-2014, 07:36 PM

23,599 posts, read 33,339,210 times
So now you're set. A good shopping venue after a beautiful drive, savings at the end and an another beautiful drive back home. Who could ask for more?

If you can, save up a bit, take the 4.5 hour drive to Newport, OR and spend a night or two. Beautiful coastal drive with a lovely bridge, fabulous harbor and scenic lighthouse awaiting you. Years ago I was intrigued by the name as I was raised in Newport Beach, CA. Spent a week there and enjoyed every moment. It may have become way too touristy (like Newport beach) since but the scenery will more than make up for it. About 40 minutes north is Lincoln City with great beaches and lots of kite flying in season. Colorful and fun!

Ya can't beat the north coast! You'll see.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 12-07-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM

Sounds lovely! Speaking of kites, someone in the Fred Meyer mentioned a kite beach there in Brookings. Will have to check it out sometime.

Something kind of fun at Fred Meyer - I was ambling along checking out the different departments, wandered into the sporting goods section and voila! Guns! LOL! They had the cutest girl lugers that I'd never seen before and asked about what I'd have to do to buy one at some later date, and that I live in CA.

Well, turns out the reason I never saw them is because they're not legal here LOL! They hold too many rounds or whatever. They also had the cutest sawed-off shotgun type guns, and he said they're not legal here either. Dang!

Those cute little lugers even came in girl colors like pink and purple...sigh.

You gotta love a superstore where you can buy eggnog, clothing, furniture, tupperware, hardware - and guns - all in one trip!

Old 12-10-2014, 03:52 PM

New addition:

Storms on the ocean! YEE-HAAAAWWWW!

Doozy today. I went up stairs on a building and looked out a window so I could see the ocean without getting too close and wowza! The facebook page for the harbor warned to stay away from the jetties, etc. You'd have to be suicidal to go out there now. Very exciting!

And when you look through a window it looks so cold outside, but it's a warm 60 degrees.

Lots more rain for California, too. Yay!

Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,947,166 times
Quote:

They also had the cutest sawed-off shotgun type guns, and he said they're not legal here either. Dang!

Those cute little lugers even came in girl colors like pink and purple...sigh.
^^^This is rather scary. Sounds about right for Oregon, but glad it ain't the norm in CA.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
^^^This is rather scary. Sounds about right for Oregon, but glad it ain't the norm in CA.
LOL, well, I think the issue for the lugers was mainly how many rounds were in the clip. I was kind of surprised about the pistol-type shotgun-type guns, though. They seem pretty severe! But, I was joking around about this with a Canadian friend on Skype today, and she said they have the same laws in Canada. We were joking around about how 5 shots should be enough to take care of any job. Seems silly to bicker over 10 rounds vs 5 rounds. But, people need to feel like they've "done" something about violent crime. I figure if you make them illegal, then only the bad guys will have them.

But, I suppose we shouldn't get into a gun rights discussion.

Another thing I love about Crescent City: I've found lots of places to take my dog to run around off-leash. And it's been so warm out. We went for a long walk this afternoon and the storm had really abated, was just a little windy with just a teensy bit of rain, but warm! Took her down by the water to look at the waves. The area around the harbor is pretty protected, so the waves weren't bad, but man on the other side of the lighthouse - some doozies were out there. I stayed on the harbor side but watched how they were crashing over the seawall. Very exciting.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:48 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,947,166 times
Quote:
LOL, well, I think the issue for the lugers was mainly how many rounds were in the clip. I was kind of surprised about the pistol-type shotgun-type guns, though. They seem pretty severe! But, I was joking around about this with a Canadian friend on Skype today, and she said they have the same laws in Canada. We were joking around about how 5 shots should be enough to take care of any job. Seems silly to bicker over 10 rounds vs 5 rounds. But, people need to feel like they've "done" something about violent crime. I figure if you make them illegal, then only the bad guys will have them.

But, I suppose we shouldn't get into a gun rights discussion.

Another thing I love about Crescent City: I've found lots of places to take my dog to run around off-leash. And it's been so warm out. We went for a long walk this afternoon and the storm had really abated, was just a little windy with just a teensy bit of rain, but warm! Took her down by the water to look at the waves. The area around the harbor is pretty protected, so the waves weren't bad, but man on the other side of the lighthouse - some doozies were out there. I stayed on the harbor side but watched how they were crashing over the seawall. Very exciting.
It is a nice thing that there are still areas where people don't freak out about doggies running free. Weirdos running around with guns on the beach, maybe not, but doggies, sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California