U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM

163 posts, read 383,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Not trying to be a wet blanket - but sometimes when you move to a new area it takes a season or two to develop allergies to the local stuff.
Can't be as bad as when I moved from L.A. to the Chicago area in mid summer---sweltering hot humidity like a steam bath and ragweed pollen on top of that. My eyes looked like someone punched me on both sides. I was stuck inside in the summer and in the winter because of the cold. The climate in the Midwest never agreed with me. Shall be interesting to see if I continue to be well here. I just hope my hubby gets better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 17,086,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Surprised no one's mentioned how much rain CC (CA) gets, around 65 to 70 inches a year, even compared to Eureka's 40+ inches. And a lot colder too, seldom getting above 65 degrees. Cripes, even Seattle weather isn't that bad!
I got the impression that the OP just looked at the 2014 weather - which was unusually warm and dry, all up the coast of northern California and Oregon - and made the decision based on that.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM

163 posts, read 383,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I got the impression that the OP just looked at the 2014 weather - which was unusually warm and dry, all up the coast of northern California and Oregon - and made the decision based on that.
Our decision was based on a chance to move out of the Midwest. I have family here and have been here twice before. We are not permanently settled....yet. Obviously, if my husband remains sick here, we could go down to Eureka, or perhaps it's just a matter of moving out of this house (under the Redwoods) to a house that isn't in the shade, like my daughter's in-laws did. They have a pellet stove and no trees, and no mold.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:38 PM

5,162 posts, read 3,642,516 times
Quote:
OP lived in PNW before, just like you.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:06 PM

16,443 posts, read 19,876,188 times
Quote:
Redding summer was too Hot for OP, so she visited Crescent City, liked it there, than applied for low cost senior citizen apartment in CC. This is how I understood her plan.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 PM

476 posts, read 1,159,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Nice town, too. I stopped there for gas on my move from Redding to CC, and they pumped my gas for me! I'd forgotten about that. Got gas at the Fred Meyer there.

So, my trip to Brookings today to Fred Meyer - NICE! There were actually employees available everywhere, and they all asked me if I needed help!!!!! And they all spoke English LOL!! Chatted with a couple to explain why I was wandering the aisles aimlessly, in case they thought I was shoplifting or something lol! They told me Brookings is WAY nicer than CC, that they get more sunshine. I have to say that people were very friendly there, and men opened doors for me THREE times! Wow!

If I didn't want to stay in CA for better benefits than OR, I'd seriously consider a move to Brookings.

But, then I came home and drove out to check out Point St. George, got out to let the dog run around on the beach (who promptly found something dead and rolled it in - gack!), then drove back to my apt via Pebble Beach Drive - WOW! Gorgeous and some pricy homes with ocean views. Absolutely beautiful.

So, I'll stay in CC, but drive to Brookings for fun and to save 7.5% taxes. Turns out they do carry computers at Fred Meyer - wahoo! 7.5% on a new computer saved will be a pretty penny!

And the drive up 101 to Brookings is easy peasy and very pretty.
Sounds like a very nice part of CA near the Oregon border. I'm not too familiar with it north of San Francisco, and I haven't been there for close to 35 years! I live in the San Fernando Valley and I remember your responding to my messages when I mentioned my sister in PA.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:06 PM

476 posts, read 1,159,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Redding summer was too Hot for OP, so she visited Crescent City, liked it there, than applied for low cost senior citizen apartment in CC. This is how I understood her plan.
Did it take you a long time to get into the senior housing? Sometimes the waits can be long. At least down here from what I've heard.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:47 PM

18,817 posts, read 28,052,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Did it take you a long time to get into the senior housing? Sometimes the waits can be long. At least down here from what I've heard.
Depends on where you want to get on a wait list. I got on a wait list for affordable senior housing in Redding (55+), while I still lived in Santa Clara. I was only on that list 5 months. I could have moved even sooner if I wanted a 1 bedroom, but I could only afford the studio.

I got on the wait list for my current 55+ senior subsidized building in Crescent City, while still in Redding. Got on the list in August, and they called me in November! This building was just renovated, and they had a bunch become available at the same time, and I guess the people before me on the waiting list were no longer interested or didn't qualify. I was originally told it would take a year for both places. So, the wait times are shorter than they tell you, normally.

I also got on a list for a reeeeaaaaalllllly nice place in Anderson, with washers and dryers in the units - really nice, quiet complex in a residential area (I was downtown in Redding and didn't like it), in August, and they just called me with an opening, too. So, 6 months.

It also depends on which units you would qualify for. Most of these places have different units that are subsidized differently. For instance the place in Anderson could have taken me right away if I'd already had my Section 8 voucher. But, they only had a few units at the rate I could afford - without Section 8.

To get into a place I could have afforded in the SF Bay Area would have taken years - even the ones that had open waiting lists to get on.

In fact, I got on a waiting list for Santa Rosa's Section 8, and recently they let me know that I was chosen in their random drawing for people who get to be on the waiting list. You actually get on a waiting list - to get on the waiting list. I got all excited, then they told me that to get a voucher would take 6 - 8 years.

Other counties, like Fresno, also do a lottery. So, you get on the waiting list, and when they have an opening, they do a random drawing. So, you could be on the list forever and never get the voucher. I think the lottery systems are really unfair. Seems to me it should be in order received - and granted with the extra priorities given.

You get a priority if you are senior, disabled, and live/work locally, etc. So, you can keep getting bumped by others. But, it does appear that people do fall off the list, too, because they move to other areas, etc.

I just got my Section 8 voucher for Del Norte County, and have only been on the list since August. But, they told me they re-vamped the list somehow, and a bunch of people didn't qualify or something and all of a sudden there were a bunch of openings. So, I have achieved my holy grail of my Section 8 voucher. I would not have it already, if I hadn't been willing to move somewhere far away from the super desirable areas of CA, though. If someone is willing to do that, it can be done. Then, you can always attempt to transfer the voucher to a different county, after living in the one you get the voucher in for one year.

I'm good here, though. I love it. Suits me to a tee. I'm far from my daughter, but honestly, I rarely saw her anyway. You do what you got to do.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:07 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,180,026 times
Hopefully CC's weather is more agreeable to you than Redding's. I'm interested to hear what you think of summer this year. CC is just slightly cooler and foggier than coastal Humboldt which was a turn off for me (as was the lack of amenities up there) but it's certainly a hell of a lot better than the Sacramento Valley's climate!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Status: ""A luta continua, vitória é certa"" (set 1 day ago)

39,132 posts, read 19,479,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Depends on where you want to get on a wait list. I got on a wait list for affordable senior housing in Redding (55+), while I still lived in Santa Clara. I was only on that list 5 months. I could have moved even sooner if I wanted a 1 bedroom, but I could only afford the studio.

I got on the wait list for my current 55+ senior subsidized building in Crescent City, while still in Redding. Got on the list in August, and they called me in November! This building was just renovated, and they had a bunch become available at the same time, and I guess the people before me on the waiting list were no longer interested or didn't qualify. I was originally told it would take a year for both places. So, the wait times are shorter than they tell you, normally.

I also got on a list for a reeeeaaaaalllllly nice place in Anderson, with washers and dryers in the units - really nice, quiet complex in a residential area (I was downtown in Redding and didn't like it), in August, and they just called me with an opening, too. So, 6 months.

It also depends on which units you would qualify for. Most of these places have different units that are subsidized differently. For instance the place in Anderson could have taken me right away if I'd already had my Section 8 voucher. But, they only had a few units at the rate I could afford - without Section 8.

To get into a place I could have afforded in the SF Bay Area would have taken years - even the ones that had open waiting lists to get on.

In fact, I got on a waiting list for Santa Rosa's Section 8, and recently they let me know that I was chosen in their random drawing for people who get to be on the waiting list. You actually get on a waiting list - to get on the waiting list. I got all excited, then they told me that to get a voucher would take 6 - 8 years.

Other counties, like Fresno, also do a lottery. So, you get on the waiting list, and when they have an opening, they do a random drawing. So, you could be on the list forever and never get the voucher. I think the lottery systems are really unfair. Seems to me it should be in order received - and granted with the extra priorities given.

You get a priority if you are senior, disabled, and live/work locally, etc. So, you can keep getting bumped by others. But, it does appear that people do fall off the list, too, because they move to other areas, etc.

I just got my Section 8 voucher for Del Norte County, and have only been on the list since August. But, they told me they re-vamped the list somehow, and a bunch of people didn't qualify or something and all of a sudden there were a bunch of openings. So, I have achieved my holy grail of my Section 8 voucher. I would not have it already, if I hadn't been willing to move somewhere far away from the super desirable areas of CA, though. If someone is willing to do that, it can be done. Then, you can always attempt to transfer the voucher to a different county, after living in the one you get the voucher in for one year.

I'm good here, though. I love it. Suits me to a tee. I'm far from my daughter, but honestly, I rarely saw her anyway. You do what you got to do.
Thanks, that's good information about the section 8 vouchers. I see so many people talking about how easy it is to get a voucher and they actually calculate it in the net benefit a welfare family receives even though most will never get one. What you are saying is consistent with everything I have heard. I have a friend in Solano County who was on the list forever and even though she met at least two of the priority criteria, has a minor child and is employed locally, she never did get a voucher. She was fortunate enough to get a project based voucher for the apartment she is renting and even though that's not transferable she's very happy.
It's also my understanding that most, if not all, bay area counties have stopped in-transfers of vouchers- have you heard that? I know in Vallejo about 40% of their section 8 families were in-transfers from other bay area counties and they put a stop to it and said those counties needed to find a way to deal with their poor rather than send them 'somewhere else'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California