U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,599,860 times
Merry Christmas from Crescent City everyone!

I just had to add this to this thread. I've been hearing Christmas music being played outside in downtown Crescent City, and just assumed it was some merchant putting speakers outside.

So, I'm walking home after taking my truck to a mechanic, and the sun is actually shining, so I'm taking a leisurely stroll. I can hear the Christmas music as I walk through downtown and realize the Christmas music is being played through the tsunami sirens! LMFAO!

You gotta love that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 13,039 times
Merry Christmas, NoMoreSnowForMe!

Here I am in beautiful Sedona, AZ, and all I can think about is big green trees and rain. I miss the ocean, too. The desert doesn't suit me at all. Plus, we had snow this week! Bah, humbug.

Christmas music through the tsunami sirens sounds like my kinda place. I wish I was there now. Once I can figure out this grocery delivery thing, I'll be on my way.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:04 PM

87,832 posts, read 81,589,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodsLover View Post
Merry Christmas, NoMoreSnowForMe!

Here I am in beautiful Sedona, AZ, and all I can think about is big green trees and rain. I miss the ocean, too. The desert doesn't suit me at all. Plus, we had snow this week! Bah, humbug.

Christmas music through the tsunami sirens sounds like my kinda place. I wish I was there now. Once I can figure out this grocery delivery thing, I'll be on my way.
I'm in Santa Fe, RL, (also a redwoods lover! ), and I'm hoping to move back to the NW, which would include Snow's corner of it. Though I'd be just as happy living amid fragrant cedar trees. At least I can appreciate the snow--the SW does need the moisture and the snowpack. And this snowfall isn't bad at all, compared to the heavy snows they used to get here in the 90's.

So, count your blessings. And good luck with your move!

Old 12-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm in Santa Fe, RL, (also a redwoods lover! ), and I'm hoping to move back to the NW, which would include Snow's corner of it. Though I'd be just as happy living amid fragrant cedar trees. At least I can appreciate the snow--the SW does need the moisture and the snowpack. And this snowfall isn't bad at all, compared to the heavy snows they used to get here in the 90's.

Hi Ruth4Truth!

I used to live in the Santa Cruz mountains, and it was the most magical place and the only place that ever felt like home to me. I wish I could go back to Felton, but I can't afford it there any more. It has become a Silicon Valley suburb of San Jose.

Nothing but redwoods will do for me. There is something so serene about them. And I love the fog and rain that they need to survive. I need them too.

You are right, the snow here is really not bad at all as far as snow goes. However, I've never lived where it snowed before, and walking to the grocery store in it is not something I relish.

Thanks for the good wishes, and I hope you make it back to the NW too! As far as I'm concerned, there's not a more beautiful place in the whole world.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:07 PM

87,832 posts, read 81,589,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodsLover View Post
Hi Ruth4Truth!

I used to live in the Santa Cruz mountains, and it was the most magical place and the only place that ever felt like home to me. I wish I could go back to Felton, but I can't afford it there any more. It has become a Silicon Valley suburb of San Jose.

Nothing but redwoods will do for me. There is something so serene about them. And I love the fog and rain that they need to survive. I need them too.

You are right, the snow here is really not bad at all as far as snow goes. However, I've never lived where it snowed before, and walking to the grocery store in it is not something I relish.

Thanks for the good wishes, and I hope you make it back to the NW too! As far as I'm concerned, there's not a more beautiful place in the whole world.
I was just in Felton this fall, and I was shocked! There was a CONSTANT stream of traffic through there, fairly heavy traffic, even in the middle of the day. Where are all those people going? I asked the gas station attendant, and he said it's like that pretty much all day; kind of in clumps, but still, lots of traffic all day. It looked like it used to be a hippy community of people who wanted to get away from the rat race, but due to an increase in population density (?), it's re-created the rat race right there.

I spoke to a ranger at Big Basin about the rain and fog thing. First of all, he said they don't really need the fog (he seemed to be dispelling a popular image or myth), he said they need rain. And they haven't been getting it. But he said they can survive prolonged drought, they've done it before. However, if the drier trend becomes the New Normal, and continues indefinitely, they'll be in trouble.

I wanted to take a hike that went past waterfalls, but he said the waterfalls had gone dry. Better to hit the trail in the spring.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I was just in Felton this fall, and I was shocked! There was a CONSTANT stream of traffic through there, fairly heavy traffic, even in the middle of the day. Where are all those people going? I asked the gas station attendant, and he said it's like that pretty much all day; kind of in clumps, but still, lots of traffic all day. It looked like it used to be a hippy community of people who wanted to get away from the rat race, but due to an increase in population density (?), it's re-created the rat race right there.

I spoke to a ranger at Big Basin about the rain and fog thing. First of all, he said they don't really need the fog (he seemed to be dispelling a popular image or myth), he said they need rain. And they haven't been getting it. But he said they can survive prolonged drought, they've done it before. However, if the drier trend becomes the New Normal, and continues indefinitely, they'll be in trouble.

I wanted to take a hike that went past waterfalls, but he said the waterfalls had gone dry. Better to hit the trail in the spring.
Now I'm sad about Felton. I lived there many years ago, in a cute little house that cost all of $350 a month. There was a redwood tree in my yard. There could be traffic, but mostly in the summer during tourist season. There was a wonderful funky crepe restaurant that served a fresh spinach and swiss cheese crepe that was to die for. Sometimes my neighbors up the hill would go out on their porch and play a fiddle and sing.

Felton was my little piece of heaven. Whenever I was driving home from somewhere and got into the redwoods again, I could feel my body and spirit finally relax, even if I wasn't aware that I'd been tense before.

I hope the drought doesn't hurt the redwoods. They are supposed to outlive us by generations. I thought they needed the fog for moisture, kind of like misting your plants, but I could be wrong about that. I still need the fog, or at least I really like it.

I can't wait to get back to NoCal. I wish I'd never left.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,599,860 times
Quote:

Hey, I'm all for snowpacks - on those mountains way over there in the distance LOL.

So far, the redwoods way up here don't have to worry about rain. But, I think some webbing is growing between my toes - or are those mushrooms....

Old 12-26-2015, 05:08 PM

163 posts, read 376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hey, I'm all for snowpacks - on those mountains way over there in the distance LOL.

So far, the redwoods way up here don't have to worry about rain. But, I think some webbing is growing between my toes - or are those mushrooms....
Belated Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here as well. I didn't know that was the Tsunami siren the music was coming through! This was my second Christmas in Crescent City, still discovering new things about the area.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:20 PM

11,451 posts, read 17,907,525 times
Spent Thanksgiving week in Crescent city, looked at some houses, I feel at home there, I still have to wait couple more years until i retire but my plan is to move there.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:43 AM

28,729 posts, read 31,373,773 times
Quote:

So far this year, we have gotten average to above average rainfall, depending on which part of the Bay Area you're talking about. The South Bay has been above normal and the North Bay below normal (although they get more absolute rainfall).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California