Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:23 AM

57 posts, read 182,194 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be making a trip to mesa, az to visit family leaving from medford, or on dec 20 although i could leave on the 19th. I'm worried about driving through the mt shasta area as weather is looking pretty bad for that day although it could change. Are there any alternate routes I could use? I don't have 4wd but do have chains. A friend actually suggested driving over to crescent city then south to eureka then east to redding. That seems kind of long but just curious what anybody else thinks. thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 01:39 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
First, I would NOT try to use any alternate route. Use I-5. It's the best one to use if weather is bad. Caltrans keeps the roads clear which is why I suggest you stay on I-5.

If you can, time your drive so you're in the area when the sun is high. Don't drive at night and avoid early morning hours as there may be spots with black ice. You should be okay as the forecast for the 20th shows partly sunny skies. The 19th is forecasting rain/snow. Don't forget to pack your chains.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:03 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Never been up there during winter, (my brother lives in redding)
But I can tell you that the road from Eureka to Redding is sort of long and winding. Not sure I'd want to go through there in bad weather... a little desolate from what I remember if the car should break down.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:49 AM

200 posts, read 454,044 times
No snow is predicted for the areas up here just rain. You should stick with I5. Its much safer during winter and as HereOnMars said Caltrans is very good about keeping the roads clear if it should snow. I've taken several trips to Washington via I5 during winter storms to visit my daughter in much worse conditions and had no problems in my little Toyota.

Enjoy your trip! :-)

Old 12-14-2014, 08:55 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
If going all the way to AZ, and want to use the alternate coastal route due to snow...the road from Eureka to Redding is a VERY BAD idea.
You would be better off going all the way to I80 and cutting over that way.

However, the main roads are kept open most of the time.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
If the weather should get bad, just pull over in one of the small towns along the way, until there is a break in the weather. Usually the weather will change in a day or two.

Carry extra water,
some food
blankets
warm clothing, socks, hat
warm insulated boots
charged phone, charger
spare tire, jack
fill gas tank

https://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?curRegion=0

California Department of Transportation..

Drive Safely...

Old 12-14-2014, 12:15 PM

57 posts, read 182,194 times
Thanks for all the responses and the links, i'm going to stick with i5 and hope i don't need to use my chains, happy holidays

Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Best route would be:
I-5 south to Sacramento,
Hwy 99 south to Bakersfield,
Hwy 58 east (Bakersfield to Tehachapi/Mojave) to I-15 (via 395, don't go all the way out to Barstow),
I-15 south to I-10.

This skips my three least favorite parts of the drive -
1) I5 as it runs on the western edge of the Central Valley (two lanes with slow trucks clogging up things as they try to pass each other plus one of the biggest stockyards in California which stinks for MILES).
2) The Grapevine
3) LA traffic from Santa Clarita on. Last trip we were trying to get out of LA at 4:30 am and STILL hit stop-and-go traffic in two places.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 PM

71 posts, read 103,911 times
Take the I-5 all the way down to Los Angeles, easiest route. You could experiment with some shortcuts in Los Angeles but if you drive in the early morning hours or late evening you will cruise right through at a good speed. If snow is in the forecast, I recommend the suggestion posted above about a safety kit although I'm sure you'd already be carrying some of those items regardless.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
In the last few weeks, I've done the trip from Redding to Eureka via 299, and hated it! Extremely windy - and I'm talking severe, tight switchbacks, and it's really desolate with no cell reception.

The route up I-5 to 199 then down to Crescent City was longer, but WAY better. With cell reception, and plenty of traffic and lots of small towns along the way. It's only really windy right before you get to Crescent City.

It can be a little hairy around Mt. Shasta on I-5. If you take 199 to 101 (Crescent City), I'd continue south on 101 as someone else said, and cut over later on a major highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California