Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM

152 posts, read 875,904 times

Advertisements

Just an interesting quality of life scoring by Men's Health magazine. I know these studies usually have their own ranking methodologies, but they usually end up with similar results.

Here is the link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
Just an interesting quality of life scoring by Men's Health magazine. I know these studies usually have their own ranking methodologies, but they usually end up with similar results.

Here is the link

By virtue of their relative locations, Id still rather live in Bakersfield cause its closer to SF and LA. Even though I think Madison is more my kinda place.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 PM

26 posts, read 87,526 times
I wonder why Bakersfield is a bad place for men to live? All I see around here are pretty young girls.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,289,425 times
"Bakersfield—despite the lack of fitness facilities, relatively poor air quality, dearth of doctors, and a libido-deadening ratio of guys to girls."

I have to call that BS there are an over abundance of fitness centers and tons of pretty women and the dearth of Doctors??? makes no sense what so ever. Air quality may be bad but I've had allergies and aysma sinse i was a child and the air does not affect me at all, the summer heat does suck sometimes but agian you get used to t unless your a wimp
bakersfield is in a good location if you like to go to the mountians, beach or visit LA and has plenty of nightlife.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,557,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
"Bakersfield—despite the lack of fitness facilities, relatively poor air quality, dearth of doctors, and a libido-deadening ratio of guys to girls."

I have to call that BS there are an over abundance of fitness centers and tons of pretty women and the dearth of Doctors??? makes no sense what so ever. Air quality may be bad but I've had allergies and aysma sinse i was a child and the air does not affect me at all, the summer heat does suck sometimes but agian you get used to t unless your a wimp
bakersfield is in a good location if you like to go to the mountians, beach or visit LA and has plenty of nightlife.
Who needs fitness centers when you have mountains, beaches, the Kern River Bikeway, and lots of other outdoor activities to do to keep fit all within a few hours or less of Bakersfield. Bakersfield is surrounded by mountains which offer numerous recreational activities within an hour's drive, and the beaches of the central coast are only about two hours away. The mountains in the area offer numerous recreational opportunities for the hiker, photographer, backpacker, fisherman, bicyclist, motorcyclist, hunter, prospector, astronomer, and so on.

Yosemite, Sequoia, and King's Canyon National Parks are about three hours away, and offer some of the most beautiful scenery in California.

I've received health care in Bakersfield for quite a few years, and though I've not had any serious health issues, I've been satisfied with the health care I've received there, for myself and my family.

There are decent places to eat, shop, worship, and recreate in Bakersfield, and for those occasions when you want a change of pace, Los Angeles, Fresno, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, and several other cities are within about five hours by car.

Although I don't reside in Bakersfield, I have spent a lot of time there over the years, and have enjoyed the time I've spent there. Compared to L.A. where I've spent most of my life, I would consider Bakersfield to be friendlier and more laid back. For most activities, I would prefer to go to Bakersfield over L.A. most of the time.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM

152 posts, read 875,904 times
Not really sure about all the defensiveness about Bakersfield. I think you guys aren't giving enough weight to the air quality, crime, and education categories. Everywhere in California is within three hours of somewhere else, so that point is moot.

Fresno, Riverside, Modesto, and Los Angeles are all at the bottom of the list too.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,289,425 times
I think the whole list is moot, the air quality is the only thing listed that even makes sense, no fitness centers? no women? thats just absolutly stupid and untrue, whoever makes up these lists are totaly incompetant and know nothing of these places.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,557,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
Not really sure about all the defensiveness about Bakersfield. I think you guys aren't giving enough weight to the air quality, crime, and education categories. Everywhere in California is within three hours of somewhere else, so that point is moot.

Fresno, Riverside, Modesto, and Los Angeles are all at the bottom of the list too.
I noticed those other cities near the bottom of the list, as well. It pretty well sums up all of California, now, doesn't it? Personally, I don't even like city life, so that may be why I was defensive about Bakersfield. Of all the ones listed in California that I've spent any significant time in, it's the one that most feels like a small town. I agree that Bakersfield (and the other San Joaquin Valley cities) suffer from poor air quality and crime, to some extent. These are a couple reasons I don't care much for city life.

As for education, that is what people make of it. The only mention of it in the article was that the level of education was one of the factors in the survey. I don't think the level of education in a particular area necessarily indicates whether the area is good or bad. A lot of people that don't have a lot of higher education are good, decent, honest, hard working members of society. People who work in most of the building trades, trucking industry, railroads, oil fields, assembly lines, and so on, don't necessarily have a high level of education, but they are productive members of society, and they enjoy the lives they lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California