Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:25 PM

40 posts, read 170,037 times

Advertisements

Is it just a fix it ticket if you get pulled over for illegal front driver/passenger window tint? What if you go back and add the tint, and repeat the process? I was wondering if say its the 2nd or 3rd getting pulled over, can the penalty be more severe as in going on your driving record and affecting your insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 05:41 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
If you tint your front windows lighter than the back ones, typically you'll be left alone. I've had front window tint on all my cars for the last 10 or so years and have only been pulled over for it twice in all that time. Both times I was let off without a warning.

I'm not really sure what would happen if you were pulled over multiple times for it though. I know the first fix-it ticket runs about $65 and it requires a police officer to sign off on the ticket before you mail it in with your payment. It's not a moving violation, so your insurance company wouldn't be involved.

I currently have 20% tint which is somewhat dark all the way around on my 2003 BMW 525i and have never been pulled over in it. It actually looks pretty dark on cloudy days and at night too. I've always been left alone by the police around where I live. Most cops don't waste their time pulling people over for tinted front windows unless it's really dark tint or they're a bored traffic cop.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:24 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Do you like getting pulled over? Because you will. Why give them a reason?

Old 12-23-2014, 08:45 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Its a pet peeve for me
I'm not bored
I like seeing what I'm walking up to at night
I will most likely cite this violation
If your smart enough to put all your windows down when I stop you and you aren't a dirbag or doper.. a warning might be sufficient

Old 12-24-2014, 10:44 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do you like getting pulled over? Because you will. Why give them a reason?
That's ridiculous. I've had front window tint on all my cars for many years. I like that it helps block out the sun and I like the "clean" look it gives the outside of my car. I'm a law-abiding citizen and a safe driver, so I really don't care that it's against the law. My tint is also not so dark that you can't even see into the car.

If you give cops a real reason to pull you over, they will. I've been pulled over only 2x in all my years of having front window tint. Both times I was only issued warnings and no citations.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:34 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Some yrs back I got pulled over by deputy Garcia of the riverside county sheriff dept. Garcia gave me a fix it ticket & it cost me 25.00 + I removed the front side tint & had the Yucaipa police dept sign the ticket.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
That's ridiculous. I've had front window tint on all my cars for many years. I like that it helps block out the sun and I like the "clean" look it gives the outside of my car. I'm a law-abiding citizen and a safe driver, so I really don't care that it's against the law. My tint is also not so dark that you can't even see into the car.

If you give cops a real reason to pull you over, they will. I've been pulled over only 2x in all my years of having front window tint. Both times I was only issued warnings and no citations.
Then, obviously, you don't have dark enough tint to worry about. If a Cop can't see in the car you will get pulled over.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 AM

87 posts, read 92,716 times
not a first case thing (not get pulled over for it).
but a add on fine.

cops in this day and age need to see you so they do not get shot.

put your self in there shoes do you want to see the gang-banger holding on to his ak-47 (made in uganda).

or just some want-a-be, pissing his pants cause he just got pulled over for not coming to a full stop at the sign.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Its a pet peeve for me
I'm not bored
I like seeing what I'm walking up to at night
I will most likely cite this violation
If your smart enough to put all your windows down when I stop you and you aren't a dirbag or doper.. a warning might be sufficient
What's the law in CA on this? I got window tint (all 4 windows) that's allowable in the state where I live, and haven't been stopped when in CA. What are CA's regs on darkness of tint allowed?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:01 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's the law in CA on this? I got window tint (all 4 windows) that's allowable in the state where I live, and haven't been stopped when in CA. What are CA's regs on darkness of tint allowed?
Eventually you will be. My car was originally sold in TX where dark tinting is allowed (or at least was in 2006). CA law says you can sell a car with tint on all windows, but you can't drive it (neat catch 22, huh?). Google "California window tint law" for the regs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California