Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 8,555 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am considering moving from Florida to California but I always hear that it's too expensive. Looking for advice on a medium sized city for a middle class family (with no school aged kids). We'd like a mild climate and a community with a low crime rate but enough places to dine and shop.
Any tips would be great.
Thanks!
G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
What's your budget?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
How do you define "medium-sized city"?

Arcata? Livermore? Davis? Santa Rosa? Several of those having housing costs & other COL indicators closest to the US average, though that can be deceptive.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-27-2014 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Columbia?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl2772 View Post
Hello!
I am considering moving from Florida to California but I always hear that it's too expensive. Looking for advice on a medium sized city for a middle class family (with no school aged kids). We'd like a mild climate and a community with a low crime rate but enough places to dine and shop.
Any tips would be great.
Thanks!
G
Seems like we get folks here all the time bragging how much 'better" FL is. So if I might ask, why do you want to leave?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Hello!
Any tips would be great.
Thanks!
G
I would recommend Watts, Carson, and Torrance. Cheapest to most expensive is listed left to right...

Old 12-29-2014, 09:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Hello!
Any tips would be great.
Thanks!
G
Way too generic for anyone to be able to give you any pinpointed answers.

So:

How big is a "medium-sized" city to you?

What do you mean by a "middle-class family" (in other words, what's your budget for rent and such)?

Might want to consider schools if you have any kids that WILL BE school aged.

Mild climate? Where in Florida are you? If you are in the panhandle or Jacksonville you will probably be more comfortable here in CA than if you are in southern Florida. I am currently co-worker with a Miami transplant who is having her share of adjustment to our winter weather, mild as it is compared with almost everywhere else (temps in the 40s are a problem for her, and are standard fare for our winter nights in the LA area; they go lower in the inland valleys, deserts and mountains--and it is the same or colder northward).

Low crime rate? Once you figure the other things out, there are plenty of websites to browse on this (just make sure data are current).

Enough places to dine and shop? What kind of places? Fine dining, chain dining, ethnic or greasy-spoon dives, or what? And as for shopping, are we talking about outlet stores, strip malls, indoor malls, upscale shopping including boutiques, or what?

Please help us help you.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I know, I know, I've said it before, but Arvin is always the right answer.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:55 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I know, I know, I've said it before, but Arvin is always the right answer.
Simon and Theodore may also be right as well.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:50 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
simon and theodore may also be right as well.
omg I lmao

OP, you're going to have to bend on some of your criteria to make it happen. Look at the coastal counties first, preferably the less urban ones (stay away from the LA/SF areas), but you'll still have to pay.

Otherwise, deal with warmer summers and lower prices inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California