Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Salads are fine for a snack.....not so good for a meal. One problem for men, I think, is so much of the "health" food in American culture is so dainty.....so they turn to unhealthy things like steak,burgers, cheese, meats etc to fill themselves up.

I'd like to say the high ranking in California is due to a bit better diet but PA has similar numbers and boy....they eat like crap there. When I first moved there I was amazed that people put french fries on their salads.... Oh...and fries with gravy.

One thing I really do like about California is all the fresh food, I don't know of any other state that has the same options. So much of the country is just meat, grease and potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:49 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Salads are fine for a snack.....not so good for a meal. One problem for men, I think, is so much of the "health" food in American culture is so dainty.
Now that depends on what you call a salad Nothing "dainty" about what I whip up. "Grande" size, with shredded fish, or chicken, or turkey, or shrimp, or crab, always copious avocado, nuts and seeds - and berries! Side whole grain bagel or muffin. *BELCH*. I'm good. Seven days a week. Along with fish and oatmeal breakfasts. Refried or black bean /chicken burritos for supper. *BELCH again (and more)* Yowzah!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Now that depends on what you call a salad Nothing "dainty" about what I whip up. "Grande" size, with shredded fish, or chicken, or turkey, or shrimp, or crab, always copious avocado, nuts and seeds
Right....but in this case its really just a bowl of meat and fat and that is, unfortunately, how men usually bulk on up calories and why the top killer of men is cardiovascular disease. A big salad with just vegetables and a low-fat dressing is only around 150~200 calories. If I ate your salad I'd be sluggish, its almost all fat and protein with very little carbohydrate.

Regardless, It would be interesting to know why the differences exist between states. I think diet probably plays some role, diets in the South are horrific, but its probably mostly a statement about medical care in the respective states. Its not like Californians are doing well health wise....

Old 01-03-2015, 01:46 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Right....but in this case its really just a bowl of meat and fat and that is, unfortunately, how men usually bulk on up calories and why the top killer of men is cardiovascular disease. A big salad with just vegetables and a low-fat dressing is only around 150~200 calories. If I ate your salad I'd be sluggish, its almost all fat and protein with very little carbohydrate.

Regardless, It would be interesting to know why the differences exist between states. I think diet probably plays some role, diets in the South are horrific, but its probably mostly a statement about medical care in the respective states. Its not like Californians are doing well health wise....
A large bowl of spinach, arugula, zucchini, broccoli, carrot, olives, mushroom, avocado, berries, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans, with a portion of shredded fish or chicken - is a bowl of meat and fat that will lead to cardiovascular disease? Ahahahahahahahahahaha! Balderdash. And doesn't render me a bit sluggish, old as I am.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A large bowl of spinach, arugula, zucchini, broccoli, carrot, olives, mushroom, avocado, berries, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans, with a portion of shredded fish or chicken - is a bowl of meat and fat that will lead to cardiovascular disease?
Right, such a bowl would be, macro-nutrient wise, mostly fat and protein and eating a lot of both will lead to cardiovascular disease. People usually judge food by volume but its the calorie content and macro-nutrient ratios that matter......raw vegetables are mostly water. In any case, to make salads more hardy people typically add meat, fatty dressings, etc to them which makes them best avoided. A salad with just vegetables and a low calorie dressing is just a side dish or snack. I always find it a bit depressing seeing overweight people in restaurants eating salads.....thinking they are eating something healthy.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:44 PM

672 posts, read 810,523 times
Highest and California

1. Hawaii
> Life expectancy: 81.3 years

3. California
> Life expectancy: 80.8 years (tied-3rd highest)

Lowest

1. Mississippi
> Life expectancy: 75.0 years

With the actual average about 78 years Nationwide.
The difference between 2 or 3 years doesn't seem like much.

Well, I guess if your 78 you might look at it differently but with most states within a year or two of 80, I think I'll enjoy my steak.

So, what is the average life span of a male. Any male in California?

77 years old.

The average for males as a whole is 76 years.

Hispanic females have the highest rate of life expectancy. Which I think is at 85. They also have a higher obesity rate. 69.2%

So what this tells me is if your a fat guy you will probably die around the same time as a fat guy in Mississippi.

If your a fit male in California you will probably live a couple of years longer than a fat guy anywhere.

If your a fit white guy in California a obese hispanic woman will probable out live you by maybe a decade.

So is California and Hawaii on the top because they are fit or do they have more woman and non white guys?

If not, why does a subset of the population within California have a higher obesity rate more than the United States or any individual State but have a higher life expectancy then anyone else in the country?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
^ Latino statistics are generally "atypical" and not considered 'representative' of the population as a whole.

Latino Life Expectancy: Exploring the Hispanic Paradox

Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Highest and California

1. Hawaii
> Life expectancy: 81.3 years

3. California
> Life expectancy: 80.8 years (tied-3rd highest)

Lowest

1. Mississippi
> Life expectancy: 75.0 years

With the actual average about 78 years Nationwide.
The difference between 2 or 3 years doesn't seem like much.

Well, I guess if your 78 you might look at it differently but with most states within a year or two of 80, I think I'll enjoy my steak.

So, what is the average life span of a male. Any male in California?

77 years old.

The average for males as a whole is 76 years.

Hispanic females have the highest rate of life expectancy. Which I think is at 85. They also have a higher obesity rate. 69.2%

So what this tells me is if your a fat guy you will probably die around the same time as a fat guy in Mississippi.

If your a fit male in California you will probably live a couple of years longer than a fat guy anywhere.

If your a fit white guy in California a obese hispanic woman will probable out live you by maybe a decade.

So is California and Hawaii on the top because they are fit or do they have more woman and non white guys?

If not, why does a subset of the population within California have a higher obesity rate more than the United States or any individual State but have a higher life expectancy then anyone else in the country?
Then again, these are averages. Wanna live longer and better? Be better than average. Wherever you live.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post

Neither of these are true, the obese have much lower life expectancy than normal weight individuals. But weight is just one measure of health....there are other measures that are important as well.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at life expectancy statistics is that they are based on the past, the rate of obesity, diabetes, etc has all skyrocketed the last few decades and the generations must effected are just starting to get elderly. Life expectancy is already starting to decline for some low income groups.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
these stats are good for just one thing: bragging rights, they mean almost nothing. It is like saying this cruise ship is number one and another is number 20 in satisfaction, when the numbers are only fractions apart.

The south is still the place many love to go for retirement. As well as not a state with the highest life expcectancy, many southern states are at the top of lists for retirement.

So enjoy your status for awhile, I doubt many really pay much attention to this or that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: