Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 01:32 AM

33 posts, read 40,199 times

Advertisements

You can't eat an iphone or a blog or a movie or any one of about a million "knowledge based" products.
What then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 02:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,644 times
Liked your previous post

Old 01-16-2015, 02:04 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfor View Post
You can't eat an iphone or a blog or a movie or any one of about a million "knowledge based" products.
What then?
Then the schizoid freaks who think CA will actually run out of food will flee to flyover and yell to all the natives who abhor whiny CA transplants about how awful it is. And then wonder why said natives don't want to hear it.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:01 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
I am leaving. When I got to Santa Barbara 30= years ago I thought I'd never leave. Paradise found you know. Over the years though between the liberal left giving all the jobs to illegals
Making it impossible to farm or fish with about a million regulations that leave no money for
for the people who are actually producing something I'm glad to be leaving. The sad truth is
these people that think they are the saviors of the earth have no common sense about it.
One day when they get in their little hybred car to go grocery shopping and there's no food to buy, no water to drink and they wonder why all they have to do is look in the mirror to find the answer. I also have a little tidbit of information for them. Just because their car isn't exhausting
carbon the power plant that made the electricity for that car is. I'm sorry but I can't afford to pay for this liberal Ca. government any longer. Bought house in N.D. paid cash for it prop. taxes are $156.00 a year, and plenty of good paying honest jobs.
Good Luck Ca. I'm out,
Fishinfor
Quote:
What then?
From Santa Barbara to North Dakota? Paradise found? All the jobs to illegals? No more food or water?

This deserves a prize.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
From Santa Barbara to North Dakota? Paradise found? All the jobs to illegals? No more food or water?

This deserves a prize.
Well there is only about 3 days food in any store and it takes LOTs of trucks to bring it in, so any disruption could be a bit of a problem. Now as to illegals, not all the jobs, just a LOT of them and most NOT in agriculture.

The only way a massive disruption would occur would be something Nation wide. Then of course people near farms or who have gardens will be in good shape. Parts pf CA would be fine but So Cal not so good. Not likely to happen.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The only way a massive disruption would occur would be something Nation wide. Then of course people near farms or who have gardens will be in good shape. Parts pf CA would be fine but So Cal not so good. Not likely to happen.
But remember, ♫♪Nationwide is on your side!♪♫

Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
I don't view the level of control by any single group as being as absolute as in the dystopian fictional scenario that I wrote.
I don't know, the level of control seems to be pretty absolute its just more subtle than most fictional scenarios.

Quote:
Since the term "aristocracy" usually carries a connotation of an elite class that most folks (ie. the commoners) cannot enter, a critera is required to define the new membership. In the past it was family lineage while now you are applying it to very successful entrepreneurs and then tying their success to genetics.
Not just entrepreneurs, my general point is that the aristocracy has openings for individuals that possess the characteristics of an aristocrat even if they aren't from an aristocratic family. I'd argue that this feature makes today's aristocracy more stable because enterprising intellectuals from lower classes have, historically, been the catalyst for most revolutions where as today they can often join the aristocracy.

Quote:
While I am with most people who think that those who earned their way up often deserved it, I don't think it is right for anyone to then turn around and lock down society through laws that specifically favor their businesses or otherwise. The meritocracy becomes an autocracy through those actions.
I'm not making any claims about what people deserve and if genetics, and I think it does, plays a big part in one's aptitude in business, science, etc then people deserve to gain less from their actions. I'm just discussing the structure of human societies, if humans were just and fair we'd already be living in an egalitarian society but we are no such thing. A hierarchical society, like ours, that gives the masses the illusion of freedom and a tolerable standard of living is perhaps the best that can be achieved given human nature.

Americans value meritocracies, but I think this is a matter of propaganda, meritocratic ideals help support the existence of an aristocracy.

Quote:
The existence of civilization strongly implies that people are indeed willing to work against their nature because there is a benefit to doing so.
Humans are not working against their nature, civilization is a pretty natural extension of a social and territorial species.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:09 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
I read a few posts on not having the food you need. I live in Oxnard so we have a lot of strawberries to eat. LOL The truth is that my family and my church has always encouraged us to have a year supply of food and money. I remember years ago when the aerospace industry took a beating. My dad was suddenly without a job. My parents ended up living for more than a year without steady work. If it had not been for the food storage, being out of debt, an having a big reserve, they would not have made it. So lets say that something happens in Southern California and you can not make it to your favorite food store. What would you do? Water is another concern, having what you need to live. It never hurts to be prepaired for what ever can happen.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:33 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
None of my Chinese are leaving California solely because they don't like it here.. they can't see themselves living in any other state.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:16 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
California is a welfare state... the poor have it good herr compared to other states, why would they leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California